Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic USA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Automatic USA

    Im not too versed on the specifics of M-4s and M-16s, or any guns really. But do they really not have an automatic setting in real life? because that just seems insane to me. no auto is a huge disadvantage so much of the time. 3 round burst is a step in the right direction, but if im in close quarters and im going up against someone with auto its usually not pretty. I mean i can still come out alive a lot of the time, but when you have a constant stream of bullets smashing all around and all i can do is click really fast on 3 round burst it lowers my chances. It just doesnt make sense not to have an auto setting. Every other team has standard guns that can go automatic. 3 round burst doesnt even make sense as a setting either. If theres auto you can just leave it on auto all the time. If i want one bullet to come out ill click once. if i want 3 bullets to come out ill hold it down for a quick burst. if i want all 30 bullets to come out and rip apart some **** then ill just hold it down. I miss spec ops on the us. i tore **** up with that gun.

    anyway, anyone know the reason?

  • #2
    Re: Automatic USA

    M-4s I belive have a auto selection. The orginal m16 did as well(Vietnam era). The ones they use now m16A4? Just have the single and three round burst.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Automatic USA

      This seems a question more suited to pose to the devs.

      "You milsim guys are ruining the game."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Automatic USA

        The standard issued M4's have single shot and three round burst.

        M4A1's, as formerly seen with the specops kit, have a full auto option.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Automatic USA

          See the following links.

          The M4 and M16A4 both have 1 shot and 3 round burst modes. The M4A1 which is the gun you remember from the Spec Ops kit, has fully automatic. Other M4 / M16 versions have full auto, such as the C7 and C8, which are the Canadian developed versions of the M4A1 and M16A2.

          M4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Carbine
          M16: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Automatic USA

            M16: Single and Automatic
            M16A1: Single and Automatic
            M16A2: Single and three-round burst
            M16A3: Single and Automatic
            M16A4: Single and three-round burst

            M4: Single and three-round burst
            M4A1: Single and Automatic.


            The standard-issue rifle for the US Army is the M4, and the standard issue rifle for the USMC is the M16A4.
            Waldo II

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Automatic USA

              whats the advantage of not having auto? it doesnt make sense. what person would decide that the weapon would actually be better without it. at the very least they should make a burst/auto hybrid setting. pull the trigger once and 3 rounds are fired. hold it down and they keep coming. just not having auto makes no sense at all. wtf is wrong with the army.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Automatic USA

                Because one of the major problems we had in Vietnam is soldiers freaking out and holding down the trigger until the mag is empty, accomplishing nothing but wasting untold amounts of tax-payer dollars in ammunition?

                Or because firing 20/30 rounds nonstop put incredible stress on the old M16/M16A1 design, leading to catastrophic numbers of stoppages and failures that resulted in many soldiers losing their lives?

                Or because firing practically any rifle on automatic is nearly impossible to control, particularly under incredible stress, such as being in combat?


                wtf is wrong with the army.




                These kinds of questions should be put in either youtube comments or forums with the topic of weaponry, not game forums.
                Waldo II

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Automatic USA

                  Every person in the squad has a role. Generally they are not going to be pulling a Rambo and just pulling the trigger. 3 shot burst is plenty out of a M16 variant. IF you want auto, that is what the SAW is for. Laying down cover fire and just throwing lead. The SAW is better designed for that type of job. Heavier gun, Heavier machine parts....the M16 would just rattle its self apart if it would be used on auto for long.
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Automatic USA

                    Well, you know, the guy's got a point. The army should only accept weapon designs that work better in video games. It's a lot harder to circle-strafe in real life without that fully automatic weapon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Automatic USA

                      Originally posted by Mushroom-Soil View Post
                      whats the advantage of not having auto? it doesnt make sense. what person would decide that the weapon would actually be better without it. at the very least they should make a burst/auto hybrid setting. pull the trigger once and 3 rounds are fired. hold it down and they keep coming. just not having auto makes no sense at all. wtf is wrong with the army.
                      Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
                      Because one of the major problems we had in Vietnam is soldiers freaking out and holding down the trigger until the mag is empty, accomplishing nothing but wasting untold amounts of tax-payer dollars in ammunition?

                      Or because firing 20/30 rounds nonstop put incredible stress on the old M16/M16A1 design, leading to catastrophic numbers of stoppages and failures that resulted in many soldiers losing their lives?

                      Or because firing practically any rifle on automatic is nearly impossible to control, particularly under incredible stress, such as being in combat?
                      Waldo is correct. The single and three round burst is much more efficient when it comes to ammo conservation, and killing. Why hold down the trigger and use 17 shells when you killed your target after the first 2?


                      If you are constantly getting into firefights where the range is so small that the opfor's full auto rifles are giving you problems, then adjust your tactics. You are most likely playing your kit in the wrong manner. Capitalize on the advantages your weapon possesses over the enemies... don't play on your opponents terms.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Automatic USA

                        Yeah the army had to take automatic away because the soldiers werent well trained enough to do anything but hold down the trigger...

                        If the gun cannot handle being fired in automatic then i dont know why such a design would ever even be considered for use.

                        So basically what you're saying is that there is no advantage to not having auto.

                        There is no reason to leave an auto setting out. Obviously all the other armies keep it around. A single and burst setting for a more controlled and ammo conservative shot is clearly a good idea. But why just leave out the auto? If i ever need to use auto then bam, there it is. for all the times that i dont, i wont.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Automatic USA

                          Originally posted by Mushroom-Soil View Post
                          Yeah the army had to take automatic away because the soldiers werent well trained enough to do anything but hold down the trigger...

                          If the gun cannot handle being fired in automatic then i dont know why such a design would ever even be considered for use.

                          So basically what you're saying is that there is no advantage to not having auto.

                          There is no reason to leave an auto setting out. Obviously all the other armies keep it around. A single and burst setting for a more controlled and ammo conservative shot is clearly a good idea. But why just leave out the auto? If i ever need to use auto then bam, there it is. for all the times that i dont, i wont.

                          Perhaps you should go write a letter to Robert Gates explaining why the decision to give every standard soldier in the Marine Core and Army a burst-fire weapon is so stupid, and why giving every soldier an automatic weapon is such a better idea.

                          When you get your response, post back here.
                          Waldo II

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Automatic USA

                            perhaps you should go write a letter to robert gates thanking him and his genius innovations.

                            And again, its not like its ONLY burst or ONLY auto. there should be both. i have enough faith in the marines to be able to fire their weapons without being so "freaked out" that all they do is hold down the trigger until all their ammunition is gone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Automatic USA

                              Lets not start attacking each other. They make the guns how they do for a reason, which is not given to us...so who cares? If the soldiers really needed it im sure they would add it.
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X