Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caps Lock vs. Cobra

Apparently, caps lock wins.

So tonight's Muttrah round was possible the worst, most embarrassing experience of my entire life. I'll say one thing before I start: I'm typically a pretty good pilot.

That said..

I'd been flying pretty horribly the whole round, but good enough to keep doing it. What finally did it for me was later on: I was glancing at the map when hovering near the carrier, and the chopper started drifting forward but I didn't notice it. Ker-boom, nosedive.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but has anyone else ever had that happen to them? Check the map.. sudden random loss of control, boom?

I actually had mentioned the very same thing about caps lock earlier to someone, and should've probably remembered my own advice about not checking the map while flying in the air with a 20minute asset...

Meh.

- Star
    Last edited by Startrekern; 02-05-2009, 01:51 AM.

Re: Caps Lock vs. Cobra

i was the gunner that endured the pain of watching nose dives ftw!....

uh didnt u lose the havok in... nvm i dont want to bring it up... lol
    csxgamerz

Comment

Use the map key, not capslock! I have Map and Mapzoom on two hat buttons on my joystick. Priceless when flying.
      |TG-6th|Belhade
      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
        Use the map key, not capslock! I have Map and Mapzoom on two hat buttons on my joystick. Priceless when flying.
        IS it actualy better to fly with a joystick? i use my mouse and can do amazing things with them but i cant imagine using a joystick... i only wish i had one for taxiing on a runway.
        csxgamerz

Comment

Probably depends alot on the quality of the mouse and joystick.

The cobra is pretty unstable really, compare it to the MEC havoc which can be parked in the sky almost and its like flying a plate of jelly, upside down.

I really miss the old transparent map that could be displayed like a hud, Im sure this is not far off what pilots use. Looking down at a map while driving would be equally bad in real life

If you find yourself in a death dive, try pressing the arrow keys for the best chance of pulling up in time, especially if using a mouse

Ive managed to keep the cobra alive 40 mins on muttrah but we didnt get masses of kills so not sure if it was that successful exactly.

The worst example would be that new map, kabula where the heli is a liability. It costs 12 tickets on death and is almost certainly not going to help find a cache before dying

I do like these ticket costs for vehicles but ideally the indivual would be punished more, like a civ kill does now.
          All these losses absolutely destroy a teams score, its probably most noticable on insurgent maps.

Ramiel for example last play the helicopters were dying on every spawn and the game was massively in favour of insurgents despite a normal headway made on the cache.
          Unfortunately the team response was to complain instead of constructing a barrier or killing the enemies

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

When you use Caps Lock you cannot control the chopper. When you press M, you can still control the chopper while you look at the map.

I only do it when I'm 100% sure i'm hovering (thus my ground speed at the HUD is 0).

What I do have problems on are on the Hueys... Sometimes they start going ape**** on me and start going nose down for some reason I'm yet to find out. I'm flying straight and the damn thing starts going nose down and I have to stop throttling, pull the nose up and resume my flying... If I don't take my finger outta throttle button, dolphin dive fo sho!
            |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post

If you find yourself in a death dive, try pressing the arrow keys for the best chance of pulling up in time, especially if using a mouse
              Exactly! You can try it on a practice server, but i find that if your in a nose dive, use one of the arrow keys to make it so your rotating, then take your mouse or keyboard or w/e and push it to the right or left and pull up kinda in a diaganol line. What it should do is turn you sideways so you level out and are now doing doughnuts then just straighten out and keep going. Its kinda hard to explain but it works!
              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Remember that even when you are in a hover and you press CAP LOCK, it does not immediately disable your mouse control over the helicopter. Only once the map is fully deployed on your screen does that occur, which means that if you move your mouse ever so slightly between the time you press CAPS LOCK and when the map is fully deployed, you will send your chopper off in whatever direction you moved, starting a dive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post

I really miss the old transparent map that could be displayed like a hud, Im sure this is not far off what pilots use. Looking down at a map while driving would be equally bad in real life
                  I'm not sure, but you can always get your trusty copilot to help out, like a codriver in a rally car (sorry, I know nothing about choppers so I had to make a reference to something I do know).

Comment

Sure thats how its best done, the squad leader should be using the map and attack marker to correlate targets

But having the map was useful for the pilot to be aware of friendly targets in the area as well.
                    I think without the actual 2D map it would be nice for to have X boxes on friendly targets like you get with the AA but with shorter range to account for heavy heat cover from buildings, etc

Cobra would have a friend or foe system I reckon

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Bears eat beets. Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica. + Caps lock vs. Cobra = FAIL
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I'm just going to set one of my mouse keys to 'map'. Maybe one to 'flares' while I'm at it so I don't have to put a finger on 'x'..

As for planes, a joystick is DEFINITELY better. Choppers.. well, I've not had much luck with joysticks and choppers. (Though, I fly mostly the huey/LB/Wasp, and occasionally the Havok. Perhaps the joystick is better for attack choppers?

- Star

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                          Bears eat beets. Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica. + Caps lock vs. Cobra = FAIL
                          Ah I loved that episode.

Ye I just use the M map key and if i go in a nose dive what works for me is hold down S and pull back on the mouse/joystick.
                          -Craz3y-

(\__/)
                          (O.o ) Disposable: These [Team stacking]threads are like a woman's period: They come (> <)around once a month and during that time no one is happy. Then it goes away, the sun comes out, birds sing, and everything is cool for 3 weeks, then hell returns again.

Comment

So, I join the server on the MEC team of a round of Kashan, right? I start up a Sky Cow squad because there is none. I do some good insertions and supply drops and extractions and such, a round of great flying. A full squad loads up in my Cow, requesting to go to the bunker complex. I go on my way, keeping low as I always do, approximately 1/2 to 1 meter above ground (back in .809 when I was a super-good Cow pilot, I haven't flown since .856 was released). I pull up my map to do a regular check of armor reports, infantry reports, checks to see if I am still on my intended bearing, etc. I notice that my nose is dipping down too low.

See, flying at high speeds <1 meter from the ground requires intense precision. A dip of 3 degrees can mess you up big time.

Back on story: I notice my nose is dipping too low, and I freak out. I put the map down, but by the time I regained mouse control over the aircraft, the hull had begun to hit the ground. Once the hull hit the ground, the friction caused the rest of the heli to go over. Boom.

Serious bummer.
                            Waldo II

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
                              So, I join the server on the MEC team of a round of Kashan, right? I start up a Sky Cow squad because there is none. I do some good insertions and supply drops and extractions and such, a round of great flying. A full squad loads up in my Cow, requesting to go to the bunker complex. I go on my way, keeping low as I always do, approximately 1/2 to 1 meter above ground (back in .809 when I was a super-good Cow pilot, I haven't flown since .856 was released). I pull up my map to do a regular check of armor reports, infantry reports, checks to see if I am still on my intended bearing, etc. I notice that my nose is dipping down too low.

See, flying at high speeds <1 meter from the ground requires intense precision. A dip of 3 degrees can mess you up big time.

Back on story: I notice my nose is dipping too low, and I freak out. I put the map down, but by the time I regained mouse control over the aircraft, the hull had begun to hit the ground. Once the hull hit the ground, the friction caused the rest of the heli to go over. Boom.

Serious bummer.
                              Yea, on a good day I can fly near enough full speed at street level in Muttrah, that is between the buildings just above the road in a LB but unless you pull up completely vertically without the slightest bit of diagonal movement then you usually clip a building and flip haha. Nothing better than turning a corner in an attack Huey like your driving a car just to face a squad full of men, by the time they have time to arm you have already wasted them because they expect you to be above them then you round the corner like your on wheels. lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X