We were soldiers once.. And young.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were soldiers once.. And young.

How awesome would a map be based on that movie? It could, instead of America vs. Vietnam, be US Army vs. China.

We could certainly incorporate many of the currently-existing assets into such a map. The U.S. and Chinese bases could be modeled off the ones shown in the movie.

Map Name: La Drang

In the movie, there were six Transport Hueys that were vital for inserting and extracting troops, wounded, supplies, et cetera. The only safe place for them to land was a cleared Landing Zone in the center of the map. I would assume that it would be impossible to get vehicles from the U.S. Main to the rest of the battlefield, therefore the Transport Hueys would play a massively important role in troop transport/supplies. There would be quite a few other flat areas where a chopper can land, but (most of) the map would be densely packed with forest and rocky terrain unsuitable to land on.

Therefore, there would probably need to be two main LZs which were also flags on either side of a mountain/hill system. The entire map would be crisscrossed by Chinese emplacements and tunnels (left over from the Vietnam War) as well as a central command center somewhere on the north side of the mountain chain, buried deep inside tunnels and heavily fortified.

So the assets would be as follows:

US Army:
    x6(x4?) Transport Hueys
    x1(x2?) Close Air Support Huey with Miniguns/Hydras (Also featured in the movie)
    Artillery

Chinese:
    x3 Logistics Trucks
    x3 Transport Trucks
    x4 FAVs
    x1 Chinese APC (not sure what these are called, exactly)
    Artillery

x2 Stationary AA emplacements in high points around the map
    Tunnel system connecting Chinese Main to various key points around the map, w/ the US LZs out in front, simulating a front line.

Suggested Layout of Map (Sorry for the crudeness of the drawing..):

As I stated most of the map would be dense forest. The little red circles are easy Huey LZs. The main road (blue) will be slightly difficult to land on, but possible. The area between the mountain (grey) and the LZs (large red circles) would be thin, tall forest w/ dead trees or trees knocked over by the inital artillery blast used to clear the LZs, leaving clear firing points for Machine Guns/sniper emplacements from the main fortified areas (solid purple)

Yellow circles represent stationary AAs.

I envision a TON of Machine Gun fire coming from all sides towards the LZs, which are in slight depressions so there is some hilly cover around them, large rocks, and busted, fallen trees. So the Hueys would be used a LOT as there would be a LOT of respawning at main as rallies would be overrun constantly (to keep the hueys important to the outcome of the game).. therefore somewhere around 450-500 tickets (Yes, huge, but there'd be huge death counts for the U.S. side at the very beginning, though they'd definitely catch up later in the game once they got a safe spawn point or two down).

The americans would just HAVE to have Fixed Bayonets.. As seen here. + CAS Huey in action: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPr9g3EVz-o&feature=related[/media]

This is the most complete video I could find viewing the U.S. Main & top of the jungle. 1:37 would be the village..:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pOrjzMASA&feature=related[/media]

So.. now I just need to learn how to make maps.

- Star
    Last edited by Startrekern; 02-13-2009, 12:43 AM.

Re: We were soldiers once.. And young.

Helicopters would be shot down in a heart beat killing a huge amount of the US team.
    sigpic

Comment

Not really. The first wave of choppers would be able to land without relative incident, as there would be no beginning-of-the-game spawn points near the stationary AAs.

Perhaps removing the AAs might prove useful? If they were removed, it'd be harder for the choppers to be shot down so quickly.

- Star

Comment

I dont think this map would be very good, as the respawn system would mean it would be hard to push people back. And the Vietnamese outnumbered the Yanks, so how would that be implemented when the gameplay is supposed balanced.

Comment

I'd rather see an Apocalypse Now type of map than this one...

I didn't see the movie but based on what I saw here, it reminds me a lot of Barracuda pre-patch .85. It was hell for the US, period. The FAVs and .50 cals give em hell while they can get none, only the Hueys.

But seeing more maps like Barracuda (well balanced) would be great. I like maps when the attacking army has to infiltrate at round start and establish on land like Barracuda and Jabal.
          |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

They already have this map, pick up battlefield vietnam and go play it and you will find it. :)

Comment

"Broken Arrow, I say again, Broken Arrow. Roger That! Broken Arrow Confirmed!"

I love that scene.
              |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Roger that. This was a great map in BFV. The Cong had artillery pieces on a ridge line overlooking the center of the map. The US had an F4, some Hueys and a Chinook. There were also tanks.

Great map if you liked air and land vehicle battles.

Comment

has anyone of you ever heard of EOD2 (Eve of Destruction)? a BF2 mod...
                  http://eodmod.com

severs are pretty much empty all the time but the maps are what you are describing

http://eodmod.com/website2007/bf2/missions3.htm
                  scroll down to the bottom, to "We Were Soldiers Once And Young"

there is also a map "Charlie don't surf"

server list:
                  http://www.game-monitor.com/search.p...t=eod&game=bf2

Comment

start.. this is a movie scene, not a map. Can u imagine the confusion in this map. Imagine then no voip like today ^^ mumble time! someone here the russian national anthem?
                    csxgamerz

Comment

War is confusing CSX :)

Still, be a damn fun map to play, marines getting to land via choppers and stuff, I like it..
                      |TG-69th|Kevlar

Comment

I wonder if someone from one of the other mods would allow us to convert the map to PR, and modify it, etc..

That would rock.

Comment

I bet they would. PR team is good and everyone knows it. They are already borrowing a lot of stuff from Operation Peacekeepers (or something like that) like the German forces and some weapons/assets. As a matter of fact I remember seeing some stuff from .85 came from there (guns, etc) but I might be wrong.

However, I guess any mod would be willing to help and let Devs use their things. Question is: do they want to? ;)
                          |TG-69th|Kevlar

Comment

you can find OGT in eod's maplist - so there must be some cooperation going on already

Comment

That map kind of reminds me of Hills of Hamyumyum. Side note: anyone else miss that "something Forrest" map we used to play? I think it was USA vs. China...
                              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X