The purpose of mumble !!! & communication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The purpose of mumble !!! & communication

Unfortunately, I cannot post URLs, as I have less than 15 posts.

Hi, I'm a regular player on the [TG] PR server and I just wanted to get people aware of Mumble.

Basically, it's a VOIP program similar to TeamSpeak, except it uses spatial relation between players in-game to reduce or increase sound output and provide directional audio on players voices. This allows you to do is coordinate naturally between squads. It supports BF2 and the developers have been working with R-DEVs to make it more compatible with PR.

This has huge potential for promoting teamwork. I'd really like to see some people using it in-game. Please, go to the PR forums, under General Discussion, check out the videos that DBzao posted. MUMBLE!

-REadMenace/Schaeferov
    ;)

Re: Mumble voip!

Hey Schaeferov!

Love the videos youve made, they are great quality I hope you keep making them!

yes mumble is a really great tool, it adds locational VOIP to PR! We are still doing some tests on it but it looks very promising. I will post a video here with it being used, pay attention to the location of where the voices are coming from, as well as the fact that they are not in a squad, but since they are close by they can hear each other.

This basically means you can have 32 players in the same "channel" ala teamspeak, but you wont hear the person unless you are close to him in game, solving the old problem of not being able to communicate to non squad members. This is especially awesome when using Platoon sized tactics, involving multiple squads and multiple assets such as APCs and Helicopters. Now you can talk to these guys directly and not have to type it out ;)

Enjoy! I'll post most info here when we get a stable build, the mumble devs are actively working on fixes to some of the problems encountered so far in PR which is good news.

**warning: vulgar language in video, viewer discretion advised**
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdNZRDJWzyA&fmt=22&fmt=22[/media]

Comment

What is the range of this. 100m or 300m I would like to know since this have a huge impact on how effective it can be. If its 300-500m im all for it because that would allow my squad to communicate with armour support. An example would be the round of basrah we had a couple of weeks ago if it is under 300m it would not really have been useful because sometime the armour had to shoot at these ranges and we would have had to rely on TS anyways. I can see the use of this but unless it have a channel that also fulfils the role we use TS for here on TG we would have to have both programs runnning while playing.

It could also cause confusion if you had two channels (yes its directional but still). sounds like a good tool if people can shut up unless its urgent like FF or someone is about to walk into a room where they will be killed.
      If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

This is already being discussed by the admins and we're looking into hosting a Mumble server. Stay tuned.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

This sounds awesome!

Comment

This looks very promising! And it adds to realism. Does Mumble have similar Teamspeak features to allow say, Squadleaders and CO to communicate in a seperate channel without distance muting? Otherwise, TS could still be used for Squadleaders and chatty squadmembers?

Comment

Here is the Mumble web site

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                This is already being discussed by the admins and we're looking into hosting a Mumble server. Stay tuned.
                great!

---------
                |TG|DarkDancer

Comment

Kat I think, if I'm reading this right, this is like the locational voip in ArmA, i.e. you can hear the man next to you. You'd have to have pretty loud voice to be able to communicate with armour support at 300-500m or even 3-5m lol. I think they use radios for that sort of thing in general! I think the general idea is you can hear spoken communication around you close by, i.e. you can speak naturally to a person in another squad if he is within normal speaking/shouting range. Otherwise it would be just another alternative to TS.

Comment

yeah, sounds A bit like direct channel in ArmA. Looks good! Now, why not change from TS to Vent to use less system resources and better sounds quality!;)

Comment

Will the person u want to talk to have to be on mumble also or do u just have to be on mumble
                      I do not have any ribbons because the TG Ribbons department has not created one for being a boss.

Comment

all partys will have to be on mumble.

Here at TG were in the "huh check that out" phase of mumble.

Stay tuned for some nights where we try it out as a group.
                        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Cool as heck. This is going to get confusing with all the comm channels open.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                            Hey Schaeferov!

Love the videos youve made, they are great quality I hope you keep making them!
                            Fuzz, you dork, DBZao made the videos. ;)

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                            Disposabl3, I've said it before. You're awesome.

-REad
                            ;)

Comment

there is a key you can use to speak like normal ts...

you can also use mumble in conjunction with teamspeak, so squad leaders on teamspeak and mumble with all others...

but might get confusing with the following comm channels avaliable:

Squad VOIP
                              Commander VOIP
                              Teamspeak Squad Leader Channel
                              Mumble Localized VOIP

hehe but still its exciting :) once you start using it its hard to go back to plain ol VOIP :P

ReadMenace: oh my bad for some reason I thought you were this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&h...ACqwmLQ&fmt=22

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X