Lessons in .85: Things to Pack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons in .85: Things to Pack

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    Lessons in .85: Things to Pack
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Great! Another incredible guide compiled by ColoradoSEAL, you're thinking!

I originally posted this in the [TF21] members only forums because I didn't want to ruin everyone's fun, but since then I've come to the realization that what most everything I (and other players using logic and reasoning) say will fall upon deaf ears- deaf from denial. Consider Project Reality .85 a lesson in complacency:

For those of you not in attendance, we had a pretty solid group sesh of .85 last night. It was a lot of fun to get a full squad again, but it will probably never happen again. Why? Because every logical, preconceived fault of the mod has become reality, which is very far from reality. The developers have taken a new direction of "no-direction", and it seems there has been a successful push for twitch-reflex, counterstrike: source style game play. The Project Reality community embraced this new release of arcade-style game play with praise and agreement which leads me to believe we have crossed the point of no return. It's really a shame that developers honestly believe they have achieved a better representation of realism in this release. I can't figure it out, are the developers too stubborn to listen to logic and reasoning, or is the player base too naive to realize "a title containing the word 'reality' doesn't necessarily mean facets of which are integrated into the mod?" As the player base for this currently terrible mod is growing, it is starting to accurately represent the "insta-gratification, give it to me now, now, NOW" culture of the world today. Basically, as many of us see it, realistic game play (that which relies on tactics and teamwork) is over. For good. May it rest in peace.

(These ideas have been pulled from many [TF21] players; although I stand by every word, I do not claim most of these ideas as my own)

Perhaps the last Hoorah! (give or take):

That being said, here is everything you need to know in order to find success in .85:

What Should I Bring?

A Tent
    Pitching a tent is a great way to find success in .85. Since the player with the best twitch-reflexes almost always wins (not the player with the best squad, teamwork, or tactics), moving is the best way to die. These arcade style gamers that are the backbone of the PR community are looking for movement anyway, so by camping out for as long as your impatient self can, you almost guarantee yourself an extra millisecond before the target prone-dives and scores a headshot from no less than 200m.

Also, the best selection here is a one-person tent (We'll cover why in the next section).

Your Cocaine
    Don't worry, if you don't have access to cocaine, other stimulants will do! The key here is to optimize the body for the rigors of twitch-reflex game play hours on end. Because the mod is mindless and repetitive, we need to have some element of drug-induced hyperactivity since firefights, oops, i mean engagements/episodes (since firefights have become obsolete), of boomheadshotting each other last for absolutely no more than 5 seconds individually and no more than 15 seconds for an entire squad.

A Basic Knowledge of Teamwork/Tactics and a Thirst to Employ Them
    Relax, it's just a joke. Rest assured, there is no need for that kind of stuff anymore!

What Role Should I Play?

Lone Wolf
    Lets be honest here, you are better off on your own. Squad mates will only bring you down. How so, you ask? Well, lets look at what they bring to the table:

Suppressive fire - comical. What's the point in suppressing if i can kill the enemy now?! The insa-gratification of a boomheadshot > tactics, teamwork, and realism. Apparently.
    Communicaion - for what?! Why do I care? By the time the information on incoming enemy fire reaches the needed ears, chances are they've already been "headshotted"
    Extra attention - all that T-Bagging your squadmate is doing is attracting enemy attention, and since it only takes .001 second to move from headshoting person to person, the whole squad will be wiped out before you can say, "This is so realistic!"
    Rally points - refuted below.

FPS Doug
    I feel every player should bring this mentality to the mod. Oh, they do already? Not yet? They will.

What Kit Should I Be?

Medic
    Remember, there aren't any mortal wounds from weapons. I'll say that again just in case anyone missed it. A .50 round to the melon is NOT a mortal wound. Talk about realism...

Being a medic allows for the best chance of a long and prosperous life. Long because players should hardly ever die (considering they have 3 minutes to get revived from any wound); Prosperous because when they're not boomheadshotting on full-auto, they can revive their fallen comrades! Talk about a satisfying gaming experience!

Also, a medic-biased team/squad is a substitute for rally points! Simply call for a medic and wait! you'll eventually get revived from that Hellfire missile or High Explosive APC round that just tagged you.

Should I Use Voip or Mumble?

Neither!
    Trick question! There is no need for Voip OR Mumble in .85 because the element of teamwork and tactics is completely gone! More often than not, incoming voice comms do nothing but distract and complicate things. Again, by the time the information is passed, the engagement is over. Boomheadshot. Over. Just like that. "Enemies 33...nevermind, got him."

Do I Have to Like Teamwork and Realism to Like This Mod?
    Absolutely Not!
    Turns out the less you like teamwork and realism the better!

Also to note, the progression of my interest in PR and its progression as I've seen it:
    Then -> Now

*pukes*

Re: Lessons in .85: Things to Pack

If you don't like it, don't play it and don't whine. And happily leave me to my delusion that it's the best compromise between realism and playability I can afford. Added a more appropriate vote to the thread as well.
    | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns' he said:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Comment

I'm waiting for Dispo to post in here just so his sig can be in the thread.
      Last edited by Waldo_II; 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM.
      Waldo II

Comment

I'll give you a squad of 6 pro css players and I'll take any five randoms from the TG server. Let's run them into each other and see who wins :)

Comment

I'm sorry you don't find PR enjoyable anymore. Personally, I think it requires more teamwork and communication than previous versions.

Comment

You hate the new mod with a burning passion, yet you spend so much time to make a post like this. We don't need your stupid hate. I disagree with most of your points, now go play ArmA and leave this mod alone if you hate it so much. Also, you owe 5 minutes of my life back.

EDIT: If you're so annoyed, I suggest you post this in the PR forums themselves, see what reactions you get there.

Comment

It's quite obvious the comical and facetious tone has been completely lost here.

Comment

I was wondering why I don't see many TF-21 guys on the server any more, lol. That pretty much sums it up. I thought Patterson had you all locked up in his basement or something...
                |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

It's funny because I could picture some of the responders in this thread covering their ears and screaming "NA NA NA CAN'T HEAR YOU." Accept the truth that the mod sucks now. Is it a good game? Yes, you can go out and kill things with cool toys. Is it Realistic? Hell to the ****ing No.

I can't play ArmA because my comp can't handle it. PR USED to be a good alternative for me, and I used to have "fun". Now this game is a bastard shell of what it once was. The Dev's have given it all these shiny new features, that are completely useless with such a horribly broken Infantry mechanic.

My priorities, in order. 1) KD/R 2) Winning 3) Gunning in a Tank 4) Everything Else

Comment

All your points seem to be based on the massive amount of headshots. I am sure this is something the developers are aware of and discussing; A long with the medic kits. I would disagree on the tactics vs. lonewolf aspect. PR requires more teamwork, communications, and tactics than previous releases - and when used properly they are much more effective than lonewolfing with big guns.

I am sorry you do not have fun playing the current release. Don't let all the headshots get to your head. (Oh, I am so very punny)

Comment

Whatever, it's fun. And I love every minute of it.

Comment

Oh look, [TF21]. No wonder.
                        ArPeeGee

Comment

Its about as realistic as you can get. Your not ever going to have a game that 100% realistic because it is a game.....the same consequences that are in real life cannot be directly transfered into a game.

as for the TF21 guys.......much of how I see them play is in direct opposite of reality.

6 man medic squads with no SL?

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't see it. If you're going to trash the mod, at least provide some decent arguments to back up your conclusions (that lone-wolfing is in and teamwork is out, for instance). I've personally only found it become more essential now than ever... the only possible regression I can think of is the .85 weapon accuracy, which is still far less forgiving than earlier versions of the mod. Other than that, I thought the game had gotten slower and MORE focused on effective manuevering of the squad and use of strategic assets, especially on maps with large cap ranges on flags.

So, your allegations seem fairly unsupported to my eyes. I'm interested in your rationale, however.

Comment

Originally posted by CoronadoSeal View Post
                              I originally posted this in the [TF21] members only forums [i]I
                              You should have also posted it in project reality forums. Some people are not as Mr. realist as you, i play this game to get away from reality.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X