Should headshot be fatal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should headshot be fatal?

This is another issue that's being hotly debated on the PR forums. I know this is closly related to Dirtboy's thread, but I think the two topics should be seperate for the sake of clarity.

*edit*

Whoops, I meant to clarify that this question applies only to small arms (assault rifles, pistols, SMGs, sniper rifles, etc.).
    Yes
    92.59%
    No
    7.41%

Re: Should headshot be fatal?

Yup, as long the deviation isn't brought back to .756 lazor beam level, I see no reason why anyone getting shot in the head should be living.

EDIT: regarding the response to my post: What I mean by lazor beam level is that in .756 someone could run, spot an enemy, go prone, and be able to get headshots at 200 meters in less than a second.
    Last edited by Googol; 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I thought they already had that in 0.85, yes headshots should be instantly fatal.

If we want realism, that must happen, you can't just revive someone after they've been shot in the skull with anything really, the only exception would be rocks.

sigpic

Comment

I think any rifle round should be an instant death but have pistols and any other small caliber weapons criticaly wound. Since most weapons on the battlefield now fall into the first category, the issues of "invincible" soldiers and balance might be resolved. I was surprised that the Devs decided to take out any way of truly killing another soldier except for knife/arrest because this is one of the few things that BF2v seemed to get right. The lack of headshots and garenteed ways to kill has certainly diminished the role of a sniper to almost zero and has increased the need for CQ combat in order to guarantee that enemies have been wiped out.

Comment

I don't mind headshot's not killing. It's not the worlds end to shoot the medics as well. Let's first look at the engine limitations, to explain my thoughts.

The deviation system in BF2 is VERY BASIC. You get perfect accuracy in X amount of seconds. You settle too fast, people claim there are lazer beams on the battlefield. You put it too slow, people want "realistic" accuracy.

The movement / hitbox system is seriously flawed. To shoot your gun behind a wall, or hill you only need 1/2 of your helmet exposed. In reality, you would need to expose a lot more of yourself to pull off good accuracy. Let's not even get into stance changes, and buggy animations & hitboxes.

Yes, it's not realistic for headshots to kill. As long as you can get your mind around "headshoting" someone as not an accual "headshot", the current concept is OK. Maybe you shot the guy in the arm, or shoulder and he is lights out for a bit. By shooting the soldier, you effectively put two out of six guys out for a while. This gives you an advantage to push forward, or finish them off from range. There are serious engine limitations, and I think the PR developers are doing the best they can.

Time for a new engine =)

ARMA has a great movement + shooting system - But this is not a game and/or engine discussion, so I'll stop there.

Comment

No, because I hate it when I get headshotted when encountering an enemy in close combat who is so good in this game that he can perform said headshot by firing a single shot while going prone.

And while headshots might kill in real life so would firing half a clip into the torso. The big difference is that BF2 does not count any excess hits once the soldier is tagged as "killed".

I couldn't care less how this affects snipers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarthkin View Post
              I think any rifle round should be an instant death but have pistols and any other small caliber weapons criticaly wound.
              But with that comes a exploit that if you shoot someone in the leg they automatically are killed and thus you got a kill from someone who could have been healed.

A head shot is a head shot there is no way around it, a chest shot is a chest shot and if there is some kevlar plating it allows you to be wounded and require medical attention. However, and this is strictly my opinion I don't feel that we should be so critical towards everything, I agree with the poll, and in reality if you receive a head shot you will be killed instantly, yes there are those times when people have lived, but in reality it doesn't happen as much as we would like it, and with no Trauma Unit in the PR world, or one set up at a Main Base or airfield the chances of you surviving a head shot in the PR battlefield should be pretty slim/non-existent.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

wait, there are players that don't want headshots in the mod?

if anything we will see less all medic squads, which really is a good tactic in .85 if you guys haven't tried it yet *sigh*.
                Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by google View Post
                  Yup, as long the deviation isn't brought back to .756 lazor beam level, I see no reason why anyone getting shot in the head should be living.
                  FYI, assault rifles in .85 just as accurate they were in .75. The difference is that you have to wait longer to get max accuracy.

Comment

They already are, aren't they?

Every time I HS someone I'm pretty sure they insta die as I see their kit spawn instantly on their bodies... Maybe you THINK you HSed someone but didn't because of deviation?

Other day on PW night I was sneaking on Farm and I saw a HAT dude standing still... Aimed for 5 secs, bang, drop dead no problem, kit insta showed up.
                    |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone View Post
                      No, because I hate it when I get headshotted when encountering an enemy in close combat who is so good in this game that he can perform said headshot by firing a single shot while going prone.

And while headshots might kill in real life so would firing half a clip into the torso. The big difference is that BF2 does not count any excess hits once the soldier is tagged as "killed".

I couldn't care less how this affects snipers.
                      if you run straight towards a player on the opposite side who is prone then that is your first mistake.

If you run towards (a) player(s) on the opposite side in general, that is your second mistake.

"Aim small. Miss small."
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by KevlarBR View Post
                        They already are, aren't they?

Every time I HS someone I'm pretty sure they insta die as I see their kit spawn instantly on their bodies... Maybe you THINK you HSed someone but didn't because of deviation?

Other day on PW night I was sneaking on Farm and I saw a HAT dude standing still... Aimed for 5 secs, bang, drop dead no problem, kit insta showed up.
                        Wrong, wrong, wrong. Having the kit appear does NOT mean they have been headshotted. Any small caliber weapon in PR does not "insta-kill" head shot, only .50 cals and higher do.

Comment

Is there some reason you can't finish a wounded soldier off?
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I think it should be a head shot, and you are a gonna.

If you hit the cerebral cortex or brain stem death would be fairly instantaneous. If something goes wrong, you could end up a vegetable for the rest of your life.

Warrior
                            sigpic
                            "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                              Is there some reason you can't finish a wounded soldier off?
                              It's possible but the devs decided against it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X