Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in one, or one in all?

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about landing on Barracuda as the US, a few weeks ago we had a game on the server where almost all squads landed on the beach, with some being shot down et cetera, safe to say it was a fairly chaotic start game for our side.

It ended up with 3 or 4 of my squad members on the beach in different locations having been dropped in on several choppers, my question is this,

If all squads are going to one objective on that map, is it best to have the entire squad per chopper, meaning if it gets shot down, the entire squad is knocked back to square one, or is it a better idea to have members in different choppers, then you just rally up on the flag when you land (IE all move to a single point), the idea being if one chopper is downed, the squad still has a chance of getting a rally up for the new person, (1 in 6 chance of it being squad leader in the downed chopper for example), the theory is that it gives more of a chance to get every single squad to the beach.

Re: All in one, or one in all?

Theoretically? yes.

Practically? No, no no!

The disadvantages of this (starting seperated, even if only by 50m or less)(massively increased administrative overhead in the form of coordinating the seats) outweigh the minor advantages.

Comment

Not at all. Like the guy above me said, it takes alot of coordinative and administrative effort just to get everyone seated in the choppers. If I were commander, I wouldn't send in all the trans choppers first. I would let the Attack Choppers soften up the area I am preparing to land, then I'd let the landing commence. Let the choppers make a quick drop in teh shallow part of the ocean, then head back to the carrier.

Or, am I thinking of the wrong map?

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
        Not at all. Like the guy above me said, it takes alot of coordinative and administrative effort just to get everyone seated in the choppers. If I were commander, I wouldn't send in all the trans choppers first. I would let the Attack Choppers soften up the area I am preparing to land, then I'd let the landing commence. Let the choppers make a quick drop in teh shallow part of the ocean, then head back to the carrier.

Or, am I thinking of the wrong map?
        Think of it, as opposed to everyone getting into their own choppers, everyone just jumped into the first chopper they could and attacked the flag (which is pretty much what happens anyway, all squads get into the choppers and go straight for the flag zone usually ending up with 1 or 2 entire squads dead).

Now if everyone just jumped into the nearest seat, then instead of 2 entire squads dead, you could end up with maybe a few members dead but the squad leaders still able to rally up on the beach once they land?

Comment

I remember a round I played on Barracuda that was somewhat like this... But it was actually pretty well coordinated.

At round start the pilots got on their Hueys and the squads loaded them up before they could warm up. By the time the Hueys could take off, every chopper had a full squad in it and they rushed, together, to the docks flag. All of them dropped us close to each other, we got rally up and capped docks in no time.

Secret in Barracuda is the first attack. If you wait too long on the carrier to act, you get screwed. It was a pretty good round on that awesome map! Rather than worry about where you gonna get dropped, I'd worry more about leaving the carrier ASAP!
          |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

I remember we had a 4-hour long game in Barracuda. The Americans were barely coming out of their base. Just hitting us with attack choppers. We fought off so many choppers that our AA emplacements had no more ammo. Finally they did massive push on the west side of the island. We won, but that was because they took too long, and we made basically a fortress of the entire island.

Comment

I don't see many squad leaders using "Delayed Spawns" - having 3 or 4 guys spawn in, and 2 guys holding spawn until the SL gets on land and puts down a rally. This can potentially save a few tickets here and there, and also makes the logistics of transporting 32 players much more simple.
              Doesn't anyone remember the vanilla BF2 days of paradropping a squad leader out of the gunner seat in the cobra and having 5 guys instantly pop out of him in the enemy's main?
              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by w.WAREHOUSE View Post
                Doesn't anyone remember the vanilla BF2 days of paradropping a squad leader out of the gunner seat in the cobra and having 5 guys instantly pop out of him in the enemy's main?
                I was never good enough to use, or see for that matter, those kind of tactics in BF2 vanilla.

Comment

I definitely remember dropping the SL out of the chopper or jet and having everyone spawn on him. We would also do crud like change SL's like crazy as long as somebody was still alive. Anything within the rules to win.

Comment

If you and your SM's like adventure, drop in different places, just for fun.

If your serious, go in all at once for sure. Although there is a possbility of the chopper being shot down, I think it depends on the pilots nerve, and the angle of AA. Flying low can sometimes mean AA can't see or can't train guns/tubes low enough. Or if the huey's left or right side is 90 degrees from the AA (in other words, imagine the huey as the origin of a grid, with north, south, east and west all pointing in the ordinary positions, the AA is built facing north and is to the east of the huey or origin. The AA turns 90 degrees to the left to face west, and the AA sees the left side of the huey) the missles seem to fail, I find shooting while looking at the left or right side of a chopper is bad for missles, they don't seem to have much effect or any at all. And the nerve of the pilot, if the pilot flinches, he/she can either crash, or do other things like attempting to turn around. Turning around will at some point put the tail or the front of the huey in the AA sights, and this is the best spot for AA to shoot at as the missles just have to head straight in and not turn which needs effort, and sometimes the missles cannot produce that effort. Missles do not lead in PR as they would in real life.

Sorry, all this maths and problem solving terminology and other school stuff has dug a deep hole in my brain, and it intends to stay there.

sigpic

Comment

During a normal public game on the server, ehhh, maybe not worth going through all the trouble.

However, during an organized scrim? Definately something to look into doing.

| |

Comment

Barracuda would be a fun one to strat for sure. Of course it depends on the capture point locations, but using overwhelming force on one flag as soon as the choppers are ready to go is a good idea. You must get a foothold on the island to get anything going on that map.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X