Squad Leading on the TG Project Reality server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leading on the TG Project Reality server

What kind of analogy or short story can you use to describe what squad leading on the TG / PR server is like?

This post is for those that Squad Lead to tell about their experience through analogy.

Here is my analogy for Squad Leading on the TG Project Reality server:

Have you ever been in an airport, mall or crowded street and you had somewhere to get to that the crowd was in the way of? Perhaps a store, an airport gate, a bus stop; whatever it was you needed to weave in and out of the crowd. For football fans, it is like a football play for every group of people you have to get past to get to your destination. A mini-attack plan for your left and right movements, acceleration and deceleration, your plan of movement through the crowd.

Should you speed up to pass the elderly couple in front of you?

Go left to avoid the crowd forming on your right that is watching Portable-Cougar doing wheelies on a motorbike?

Squad Leading on the TG Project Reality server is like that to me. I move with a squad, timing out what is going to happen 1 minute from now in my head. It is like moving through the crowd, or individual football plays one after the other. I like to stay on offense when in this mode.

Share your analogies or short stories on how Squad Leading on the TG Project Reality server feels for you.
    sigpic

Re: Squad Leading on the TG Project Reality server

Creating a squad can be unnerving also. Every time someone you're unfamiliar with joins your squad it's like that moment from Star Wars Episode IV where Luke barges into Leia's cell and she says, "Aren't you a little short to be a Stormtrooper?"

Leading the squad afterwards can be like many different things. Sometimes it's like being lost in the middle of the woods with 5 other guys, all of whom are looking to you to lead them out.

Sometimes it's like being lost in the woods with 5 other guys, all of whom think they can lead themselves out.

Sometimes it's like playing chess, you try to plan your moves in advance and analyze the strategies of the other players on the map.

And sometimes... just sometimes... When your strategy is sound, your squad-mates are ready, and The Force is with you... it's like the most natural thing in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoJedi View Post
      Creating a squad can be unnerving also. Every time someone you're unfamiliar with joins your squad it's like that moment from Star Wars Episode IV where Luke barges into Leia's cell and she says, "Aren't you a little short to be a Stormtrooper?"

Leading the squad afterwards can be like many different things. Sometimes it's like being lost in the middle of the woods with 5 other guys, all of whom are looking to you to lead them out.

Sometimes it's like being lost in the woods with 5 other guys, all of whom think they can lead themselves out.

Sometimes it's like playing chess, you try to plan your moves in advance and analyze the strategies of the other players on the map.

And sometimes... just sometimes... When your strategy is sound, your squad-mates are ready, and The Force is with you... it's like the most natural thing in the world.
      Well said.

Comment

Leading a squad is like pet-sitting for your cute friend, you figure it's got to be pretty easy and you'll score major points as long as everything goes ok.

As soon as you open the door though a couple of kittens come barreling out past you and run off into the yard. You herd them back into the house only to discover another one is stuck in the toilet and a fourth tripped and fell into the garbage disposal.

You finally get them all in the living room and having a good time when an apc crashes in through the back wall and kills everyone.

Posthumous apology to anyone who's been stuck in my squads, I'm getting better at it I swear.

Comment

^^ I love that one.

I tend to find squad leading allright whenever i do it. Of course it depends on the squad mates but you can simply mould you strategy around them. If i have a ful squad of regulars i might try ome complex flanking manouvre (??) on foot, as i know they will fire when told etc. If im full of new players who keep asking to get kits, ill let them, and then drive them in a truck to a good position to lay down fre, and say GO! this tends to work quite well if you can catch the enemy by surprise.

I have to sya though my favourite scenario is getting full squads of regulars and pulling epic attacks on unknowing defenders. and then setting up an inpenetrable fortress once were done.

E.G. 2 days ago on 2 succesive rounds i had several of the same squadies, first was a tank squad on kashan, with 3 regulars and 2 pubbies, i got the new guys to keep about 100m behind and protect the rear flank while me and the other tank rode parralell. Circled the map a few times, didnt die at all and capped 2 flags :) was one of my best 0.85 games. This was followed by a round of qwai on US, with me and 2 SL's in TS, but both flags (other than processing) within 200m of each other on their side of the river. 2 infantry squads as well as 2 tow humvees rushed flag #2 and succesfully set up a frbase, and aa + HMGS, with our 2 hat's and humvees we destroyed the tanks within minutes, as well as 1 apc, and the enemy helo. My squad, which i think was full regulars, flanked the third flag by settig a rally on the hill near their main flag, took out the enemy rally on the way in and cleared one side, while |TG-Irr| Spitfire 's squad cleared the other side. After the cap we got killed, but spawned back on our rally near the main and quickly capped out the other team. This was again one of my favourite rounds of pr 085 yet.

Comment

I play a lot of basketball pickup games. Usually, we play if you win 2 games, you come off the court and mix up the teams no matter what. On Saturdays, however, we play the winning team stays together until they lose. I usually go there early and wait in the parking lot until I see some of the really good players show up. We all sign up together at the same time and make sure our team is pretty stacked so that we don't lose. (sound familiar? lol) If I get there late, however, I get stuck playing on a team with guys I might not have ever played with before. Sometimes I get the old fat guy that no one wants on the team. He doesn't listen, he can't shoot, and he makes me start swearing. Sometimes I get the 18yr old ball hog that doesn't listen and tries to win the game by himself. Other times I get the new guy that no one knows who turns out to be an ex-collegiate power forward. As the point guard (similar to being a squad leader), my job is then pretty easy...get the ball to the big man and let him do the rest. (This is kind of like being a spotter for an A-10!). Usually, though, I get on a team of just plain average guys. They understand the fundamentals, try their hardest, and really want to win. What makes the game so fun is that even though none of them are spectacular players, including myself, we are able to beat teams with players much better than us just because we play good fundamental basketball. I don't have to do anything spectacular as the point guard, because I trust each of my teammates' abilities and know they can all execute good fundamental plays and get the job done.

P.R. and many other things in life can all relate to this same big picture. Know the rules of whatever "game" you are playing, make smart decisions, have confidence in your abilities, and give 110% at whatever you are doing, and you are very likely to succeed in life.

Disclaimer: this does not apply to hitting on hot girls at the bar. Then you have to be driving that brand new shiny Humvee or talk like Wickens to have a chance. Any mention of playing PR will also score you many negative points.
            |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Great stories! It is a wierd experience sometimes....to SL
              sigpic

Comment

LOL thank you Warehouse, not sure what you mean but thank you anyway!

Yesterday during a fairly hellacious string of games on the server when my mood was deteriating at a rate somewhat corresponding to my declining sobriety I had a great experience with a few players. Muttrah City was the map and the simple, joyous pleasure, an advance to contact using bounding suppressive overwatch. Honestly I could have wept it was so well executed, after round after round of muppet style play on the server including some fairly failtastic performances by myself this simple little piece of play brought tears to my eyes. Using the classic 5m Im up, Im moving, he sees me, Im down mantra of the British squaddie we counter-assaulted an ambush and powered through our attackers and continued our advance. All of a sudden the whole squad was calling out, "firing, moving, reloading, firing, movin".

Just beautiful!

Comment

Going to an unknown town and looking at a map to find what direction to go then finding out along the way that half the streets are one-way.

Comment

Its like when you wake up in the morning, starving, and find out you have sausage, eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns. Too hungry to cook them each by themselves, you fire up four burners and throw them all on. At first its peaceful enough, the pans are just heating up, and everything is fine. Then you notice the eggs are starting to whiten, no problem, just flip them. Of course while you were flipping the eggs, the hashbrowns started to get a bit too crispy. No worries, just turn down the burner. Unfortunately in the time it took to do that the eggs are burning again, and now the bacon is too crispy, and the sausages have burst, and your whole breakfast is ruined.

So you leave the food to burn and go to the IHOP.

Comment

Originally posted by {DEAD}Therites View Post
                      Its like when you wake up in the morning, starving, and find out you have sausage, eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns. Too hungry to cook them each by themselves, you fire up four burners and throw them all on. At first its peaceful enough, the pans are just heating up, and everything is fine. Then you notice the eggs are starting to whiten, no problem, just flip them. Of course while you were flipping the eggs, the hashbrowns started to get a bit too crispy. No worries, just turn down the burner. Unfortunately in the time it took to do that the eggs are burning again, and now the bacon is too crispy, and the sausages have burst, and your whole breakfast is ruined.

So you leave the food to burn and go to the IHOP.
                      So, I assume from that, your SL experience has not been so good to date.
                      sigpic

Comment

Its been alright, but its a LOT more work than you'd expect. I did better than I expected at squad leading, and my squad mates were pretty good. I just get overwhelmed, so my analogy is about how I feel like if you pay even a little bit too much attention to one thing, something else is neglected.

Major props to the top SL's, its very stressful and challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                          LOL thank you Warehouse, not sure what you mean but thank you anyway!
                          It means my family came over one day and I had BF2 blasting through my surround sound, and you started blabbing away in Teamspeak or squad chat, and my sister said "that guy sounds hot" and now you must DIE!!!
                          |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

O dear.

Comment

Sometimes being an SL is like driving off of a Car Dealership in a brand spanking new car or truck (whichever tickles your fancy), everything runs smoothly, and it has that fresh new car smell.

Other times, it's like driving a 10+ years old 95,000+miles car in the dead of winter. It takes at least 20 minutes for the heat to work, the radio antenna is broken, you hear more static then music, one of the backseat window's doesn't close properly and you have a constant draft that feels more like the window is down, it feels like the car is going to break down and fall apart at any given moment and above all that, the car is way overdue on oil and you can hear the gears under the hood churning.

But if you have the opportunity to be in dispo's squad do not pass it up whatsoever, no matter what it includes. Being in d1sosableh3ro's squad is dead on comparable to driving in a minivan free of kids that just got out of a car wash, and you are revving up the engines, waiting to tear up the suburban Chicago area streets, while hearing that not only have the white sox made it to the playoffs but the Chicago Bears are still undefeated and its almost November.
                              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                              Level I HazMat Technician
                              NYS EMT-B
                              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...