A BF2 introduction: High explosive rounds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A BF2 introduction: High explosive rounds

In BF2 HE rounds explode in a radius from their point of impact to areas in their line of sight. In other words if you can't see a person from the spot where the shell hits, it won't hurt them. Imagine yourself as the HE round, now look around from where you explode. Every one you can see(within a certain distance) you damage. This is why people can hide behind logs and telephone poles, the explosions do not wrap around them or go through them.

Don't worry about shooting at your target, just shoot near your target. This is the magic of the HE rounds. You don't have to hit the person with them to kill them, only near them.

Ideally you want to shoot at infantry's feet.

If you can't shoot at their feet look for something near them to "bounce" your shot off of. A tree, a roof over their head, a satellite dish on a roof. Anything that can "catch" a round can potentially be used to splash damage onto your target. Keep an open mind and look for objects that have a surface facing your target to shoot at.

*This is all in my experience. If you have something to add please share.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Re: A BF2 introduction: High explosive rounds

Yea Im always telling people to fire on ground empty of friendlies, as shown on the minimap. You dont have to see someone to kill them with hei

Nothing worse then dying with tons of ammo still unused

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

same with the jdam, if you're under a bridge right next to the impact u survive as the damage isnt spread below but above!

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Shooting them directly with the shell is so much more fun!
        Good tips though.

Comment

Since coaxial machine guns in PR generally aren't as accurate as I would like them to be, I have trouble hitting infantry that are using walls as cover. (Think of Seven Gates, in a British Scimitar, hitting PLA infantry lined against the walls of the main compound). That compound is higher than you are, so you are basically shooting up at them. You usually can't touch them with HE rounds, and coax is too inaccurate to get it alligned on target quick enough, so what do you?

I hit them with AP rounds. They're one-shot killers if you hit them dead on, and come on, just imagine being hit in the chest with a round designed to penetrate armored targets. The rounds are more accurate than coax and are easier to line up with the target. Save those HEI rounds for infantry that you can actually touch, and use AP for the ones that are using hard-to-hit cover.

Now I only use Seven Gates as an example, because during most of the round, enemy APCs aren't a threat to you. During a round of Jabal, for example, I'd save the AP rounds to kill hostile APCs.

| |

Comment

With a JDAM, yeah.

Scary thing about mortar/artillery, though, is that it's difficult or impossible to predict where the next shell will land, so you could be safe or you could not be safe.

Depends.

Comment

@ Coax, it generally fires down and to the right slightly, differes with all the apc's i recommend firing off a few shots at round start so you can remember where to put the crosshair when you need to shoot.

Comment

I find that if infantry don't see you, use heat rounds. If u try to fire coax and it flies everywhere. A. they might get away, or B. they will see the tracers and fire or guide anti tank your way. Heat rounds are good for blowing bunkers and FOBs so don't think that just cause its a wall you need armor piercing. Take advantage of suppression if people are trying to load hat.

Not part of heat but...

dont forget that your gunner sees differently than the driver. The turret is farther back on apcs than the driver view so when u want him to fire to your side, make sure he has view and not only you. Better yet just aim your apc at the enemy ^^

Finally, I wonder... yes i too wonder...

Mortors... big booms

rain doesn't always fall on one place twice.. well if u wait it will but in 3 seconds it usually doesn't fall in the same place. So i wonder, if mortors are falling and you dont have time to fully get out, should you go to where the last blast hit? There must be some pattern to mortors with the bf2 engine right? after all it is BF2

-gamerz
                csxgamerz

Comment

Mortars fire with deviation just like a gun, if you can pinpoint the very middle of the mortar attack then your best chance of survival is standing right there, in the middle. Imagine the mortar tube being a rifle where there is recoil, there is a low chance it'll hit the middle after the first shot.

Have a look at the mortar and artillery codes, they show this exactly.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                  In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ollie_fool View Post
                    @ Coax, it generally fires down and to the right slightly, differes with all the apc's i recommend firing off a few shots at round start so you can remember where to put the crosshair when you need to shoot.
                    The Chinese armour seem to have the best coaxial machine gun accuracy of all vehicles. Really useful. Other vehicles, yes, they do fire like you said.

sigpic

Comment

When firing the coax, I use a figure 8 pattern to cover an area at distance and "stitch" the target area. HE rounds are also great for destroying static targets like FOBs, although AP rounds do the job just fine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X