Yet again, another helicopter thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet again, another helicopter thread.

TacticalGamer is becoming more and more popular. With more people playing PR and looking at this forum, I figured I'd repost my tips and hints for chopper flying I found a little while ago.

BTW, if you're new, please read the manual and get plenty of practice as a grunt first before you start going into assets. Knowing how your basic infantry squad works and how they think will better you off in the long run as you can help out the flow of the game by placing them in the best spots and getting things set up quickly.

Transport Helicopters.

1. I am more able to predict the flow of the game and as such, able to land you in more places. If a squad hops in and requests to go to a flag and I feel that the flag is safe, I'll land as close as I can. I like to drop the squads off in covered area's, so I try to keep that in mind. I still, however, refuse to drop squads off too close to the front battle lines when I know that there is AA in the area and doing so will be certain death for all of us. For those who are reading this, if you feel as if you are not able to bring the chopper back safely, tell the squad about your concerns. You're responsible for their safety to an extent. However, don't be rude about it.

2. I'm more experienced with supply crates than I was and I actually love doing them now. It gives me something to do and it's fun to find the colored smoke and drop things on it for the crew. If requesting a crate, tell exact coordinates and pop smoke if you can. If you're flying and they haven't, be more observant. Look for the group of people. Ask yourself," Has any other choppers dropped crates?" If so, look for that crate and try to drop it next to that. Don't try to sacrifice the chopper to bring crates for people. Only experienced pilots and in certain circumstances should it be done.

3. I actively read the chat and you should too. Not everyone is on teamspeak ( You should be though ) and the chat is their main way of communicating with you. People should be giving precise and clear requests with coordinates ( I.E. A6 KP3 or Alpha 6, Keypad 3 or something like that. ). Ask the squad if the area is secure. Many a time I've had to bug out due to a threat they didn't talk about or just didn't know was there. Also, for god sakes, don't type while flying. You end up losing control real easily.

4. Three to Four man squads is all that is needed for a transport squad. I feel that the most efficient way (Yet boring sorta) is for the SL to stay at base and actually command his squad. He is the single link to the commander and can relay orders with move markers. He can pay more attention to the chat and give more precise locations than a SL who has to try to read the map while flying or a SM who's squad leader isn't listening and has to memorize the location in his head.

5. Try to keep the helicopters grounded unless you're on a specific mission. DON'T MESS AROUND. Those heli's cost tickets and time and that is something your team can't afford to lose if you're hovering or doing barrel rolls and lag into the ground or disconnect.

6. Gun-runs. I personally only do these on Ramiel and Kashan 16. I've recently done them on Al Bashrah V2 to much success. Gun-runs are dangerous and require a skilled pilot and ONE skilled gunner. There is a lot of communication that goes into this, so both parties need to be on VoIP or TS or Vent. The reason I only ask for one gunner is simple. I can't have both guns facing the target. When I fly, I end up going into a 500 MPH oval around the target with the door gunner facing the target. The other guy will be looking into the air most of the time. It's a waste of a ticket if the heli is shot down and the extra guy goes down with it. However, if that person volunteers to be an Engi and repair while you're flying, go for it. It won't hurt.

7. Calling for pickup/extraction and doing it. It's not the hardest thing, but it requires a certain amount of skill. As the SL, be precise where you're at. "Need extraction at North Village (or coordinates) on the road. Enter West." After you got a helicopter inbound, keep your squad together. I dislike having to wait for that lone SM who's running from the other side of the town to me. Also try to keep your LZ's on flat surfaces, roads are excellent.
    The embarking/disembarking should take no longer than 3 seconds. After your squad is inside, someone say "Go" Or use the voice command and immediately state where you want to go.
    When disembarking, sprint for half a second to a second and go prone. If the helicopter gets out of control, you won't get clipped by the rotor. Do it quickly, the longer you wait, the longer the heli is exposed.

For the pilot, look at your map before you take off. Try to memorize quickly their location. After checking, take off and go for it. Stay low and fast. If you've memorized the map and you know the surface is flat, go for a runway type landing. This is when your wheels touch the ground and slow you down quickly. You take no damage and you don't spend time fiddling with your S key (or throttle if you use a joystick.) Quickly make sure the way is clear by using Ctrl + Mouse to look if noone says go and go to your destination.
    Take them to where they want to go and do the same thing. Try not to spin on the ground. However, after you lift off the ground, do a 180 turn and go straight back the way you went. You know that's a safe area. If it's not, try to think quickly of a better route.
    Remember, LOW AND FAST.

8. When in the heli, don't panic or mess around. Don't shoot the door gunner guns and don't hop out prematurely unless you have a suicide wish. If I begin emergency maneuvers, don't hop out. We might live and if you've hopped out, you've wasted a ticket and now away from your squad.

9. Emergency procedures. .50 cals and AA are the primary dangers to the helicopter. Kashan has an extra danger of flying planes and tanks. If you become under fire, you need to drop altitude and gain speed. Trade your angels for energy. Turn away from the fire and if it's a lock, pop flares immediately. As you're peeling away, do your best to find cover from the fire. If no cover is available, peel away as fast as you can in a zig-zag fashion while popping flares. .50 cal gunners have a hard time aimming at moving targets and hiding behind your flares tend to make missiles miss. Whatever you do, don't panic. Stay calm and try your best to evaluate your situation in the couple seconds you have. Only practice and experience will improve you.

10. Have fun most of all. Flying helicopters is extremely fun. However, don't hog it and don't get angry if you can't fly a round. Ground-work is fun as well. Practice as much as you can in training servers and always try to have VoIP abilities.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Re: Yet again, another helicopter thread.

in before anything else.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9WgF3KvJ8[/media]
    Waldo II

Comment

3 rules when I fly:

1) Don't fly unless you need to

2) Crates are near-indestructable now, feel free to drop when flying highspeedlowdrag

3) Slayin' bodies everyday.

all the time.

| |

Comment

Ok...

As a pilot my self, I would like to add on to a few important points my friend has mentioned.

"Fast and Low" I don't know if any of you were here but I've had 2 very pathetic deaths in my life as a Blackhawk CAS and Trans Pilot. First was when i was RTB and did the fast and low... Unfortunately someone I think sonic had a bomb car that decided to come up on the hill i was RTB towards... boom? Second was when I flew over the bridge 10-30M from the ground following the road and boom... IED... So heres what I found... The Fast and Low works on normal AAS or C&C maps, for insurgency, you want to fly low but then again still high so around 50-100M.

Gun Runs... Blackhawk guns are awesome as we all know it... I find that having one gunner is enough for you don't want to worry bout the other guy sitting there entertaining himself by spooling guns... Second, you want to have (in Ramiel for example) both LB and BH in the same squad. LB's are good for scouting cause you can escape missles and fire better. The Hydra Huey on muttrah and barricuda are also amongst the best of the best. Hydras are good so don't think of it as 14 rockets of nothing. P.S. the CAS Huey in Muttrah is not the disposable toy until the Cobra spawns... It is actually desired to keep through out the runs.. Treat it like the cobra if u must.

The hydra hueys are good especialy when u have a spotter and or laser. You can have the target lased for visual and marked for navigation to target. I find that the best runs are high altitude (300-400) dive towards the target, flare 1-2 sets, fire hydras, and then bug right or left dropping altitude and flaring 2-3 more sets.

Flaring...
        Ok people listen up, the flare is not a shield... "HOLY CRAP"
        When you are flying notice that flares drop downward (gravity ^^) and to the sides. So essentialy if u are say hovering for a gunner in a cobra and are locked on.. dropping flares is useless so to say. But if u dive and drop altitude and swing out in a opposite direction, the flares you drop will be around you so to say and the missile will most likely hit flares. And then heres something I don't think i need to sat but people.. Flares are useless on the ground... IF u are flying low and landing or taking off from a landing dont flare.

No pressure, you are the pilot and the chain of command when you are flying is:
        Commander want you to drop supplies > Can I do it? > I'll try > Meanwhile team is going we need ammo we need ammo!!!! > O.. Looks hot... > I don't think I can > Return to Base and coordinate with commander on an alternate LZ.

Most people die doing stupid things. In fact in PR.. if you don't do a single thing thats not tactical, logical, teamwork, listening to orders, there is little ways you can have a perminent death. Medics are your friends boys... that is unless cougar is a medic, then he is your Father ^^

-Gamerz
        csxgamerz

Comment

I don't get why people make "Wall of text how to" Threads, when obviously the person already understands what to do, but they're not that smart.

Comment

Nice work. I really hate how some squads are "Get us to the battle" or "Get us to ...", you get killed by AA, and what does they squad leader of the squad you were carrying do? He says "Well that's a bit stupid", whether he be thinking or saying it in a different way. That's what annoys me most of all.

I can fly, but the lag is too risky sometimes. I'll only fly if no one else is doing it and it is needed (and I mean really needed) in the current round. I'd just be warning anybody who jumps in my chopper; you're flying with a 250-260 ping pilot.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pwn3ge View Post
              I don't get why people make "Wall of text how to" Threads, when obviously the person already understands what to do, but they're not that smart.
              the living example himself!!! lol jkjk

In fact people who don't know aren't registered with TG
              csxgamerz

Comment

Swap seats when you first get in the heli and you will later be able to see the repair and rearm icons.
                Pretty useful when not all helipads are visible when landing and not all parts of the carrier deck will resupply

Barbed wire on the hesco barriers destroys helis instantly. On Kashan I noticed US have their pads in a safer spot now but MEC may still have helis spawning with tail rotors 2 meters from destruction

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Gamers, I disagree with your flares statement. Pop flares always. I've been saved many a time from an AA while flying along the ground going to main when I popped my flares and the AA missile redirected it's flight path to hit the flares instead of me. It's pretty intense when AA missiles fly along your helicopter parallel mere inches away from your hitbox and all you see if two missiles flying away from you like you fired them. Flares can perform miracles sometimes. Never say never when it comes to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwn3ge View Post
                    The reason I made this thread is because we have had a lot of new guys sign up plus the amount of lurkers to the TG forums has gone up. Yes, a lot of people who need to read this won't. But there are plenty of others who need to learn also happen to on these forums either registered or unregistered.

What I don't get is how people always seem to put down instructional threads with that reasoning. ;)

Comment

Here is one piece of useful advice for flying helicopters that you will likely not find anywhere else.

When dropping supply crates from a transport helicopter, it is not necessary to hover above your drop zone or even slow down. You can be moving at any speed. The only thing that matters is your altitude. The crate will survive a fall from a maximum of about 40 metres. As long as you are below that ceiling you can remain moving forwards at any safe speed.

What does this mean? When you hover in order to drop a crate, or worse, land, you put your vehicle in a dangerously exposed position. Speed is your friend against AA and ground fire. So by simply flying past your drop zone and releasing your crate you are much safer and less likely to be shot down.

Good Luck.

Comment

I only fly those choppers I can fly...and that is the Black Hawk and the British main one (that in al basrah) I just love that feeling that you help another squad :D

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsson View Post
                          I only fly those choppers I can fly...and that is the Black Hawk and the British main one (that in al basrah) I just love that feeling that you help another squad :D
                          you make a good point. Just because you think you are gods gift at flying the BH, it doesn't mean that you will instantly be able to fly other choppers. If you doubt your abilities to fly one, don't fly it and spend some time on a practice/local server to get used to it. Once you can fly one well, becoming proficient at others becomes at lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTonkaTruck View Post
                            Gamers, I disagree with your flares statement. Pop flares always. I've been saved many a time from an AA while flying along the ground going to main when I popped my flares and the AA missile redirected it's flight path to hit the flares instead of me. It's pretty intense when AA missiles fly along your helicopter parallel mere inches away from your hitbox and all you see if two missiles flying away from you like you fired them. Flares can perform miracles sometimes. Never say never when it comes to them.
                            well flares are a gamble. They really have no pattern. I was on muttrah and I saw people getting shot down by an AA and I was like thats it... were gonna ninja it. So i took a LB and flew in the city with a squad to demo it. Now we were losing the round cause people took 5 years to get to docks so they had like AA everywhere now in fact it was like take off and get blown. So i started to fly and boom aa missle lock and i flared and swung left. The missile hit my flare and and splashed onto 2 passengers and they died. The 3rd was in critical condition. I landed him for patches and he was like im still bleeding. Im like well do it fast. I misread the marker that someone had placed and we came onto the building with the AA. it locked on to me and i flared and decended. (I was like 20M from the aa and at the same altitude of the roof. He fired and the missiles shot past me like left and right of me and i landed. I saw 2 on the roof and my guy knifed the FOB. He got shot and i started bleeding. I took his kit and popped 2 on the roof. Then i went and killed the medic on 3rd floor. So i healed my self and RTB'd with a pilot kit. LOL

Now unnecessary story but oh well. When i came back i got hit by another AA missile but it only damaged me. Interesting because when i was 20M from the aa. the missile dodged me completely and when i was like 400M from it it hit spot on despite flares.
                            csxgamerz

Comment

AA has a minimum arming distance of 70m or so I think

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X