Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people avoid SLing like the plague?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people avoid SLing like the plague?

Have any of you noticed when they SL quits, disconnects, etc..Everyone keeps throwing around SL like it's the Looney Toons and Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny throwing the bomb around like it's a hot potato.

I mean, it's one of the most satisfying feeling, knowing that your squad has kicked ass because of you. I mean, I'm pretty new to SLing in PR, and basically suck at it, compared to SL vets. But it's fun nonetheless. Give it a try, it won't hurt.

Re: Why do people avoid SLing like the plague?

I gotta be in the mood for it. I enjoy SLing once in a while, but I get tired of it after doing it several times.

:)

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Comment

I kinda think it's the opposite for regular SLs. I know for me, I feel as that like if I don't SL, no one will, and you'll have squad leader who will grab a sniper kit and do nothing to help the team.

So, guys, try SLing, and most importantly get in Team Coord on TS!
      |TG|
      ||||

Comment

same as sonic, sometimes i wait until the round has started proper before making a squad just to see if anyone else will do it. most of the time i'll make a squad and it will be full almost insantly. we need more people to sl!

Comment

I see two reasons why people don't want to SL:

1. If everyone is in TS and there are alot of regulars on, SLing can be a lot of work. So, when people get home after their hard day doing whatever, they're not always in the mood to do some actual thinking and decision making.

2.People don't lead too often and are worried that if they do, they'll screw up the game for the team/squad. That's how I felt before I started SLing...

Comment

Yeah, I'm not very gun-ho with SLing either, but I only do it if no one else will, or I'm in the mood to SL.

COing is an entirely new story... :)

Comment

Im lazy when it comes to SL'ing. If my SL leaves and im stuck with it ill do it, but not be happy about it. I just played a good round of Muttrah where Tman, disconnected then ended up on the other team and didnt come back (grumbles). So i got stuck SL'ing and it turned out really good actually. But when he left i was just like.....great.
              sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Reason 2 was the one that i didnt like squad leading. I only really started doing it regularly about 3 weeks ago, and now i enjoy it a lot if everything goes ok. I was really worried about screwing up and getting everyone killed and was afraid of telling people what to do. On reflection i think that all it takes is a few goes at squad leading to get used to and enjoy it, so i would recommend that everyone who doesnt squad lead to at least give it a go. It is quite funny seeing people leave and rejoin a squad madly though :D
                |TG| (:djames-d)

Comment

when i'm in a squad as SM and the SL leaves for some reason, i'm always happy to take command. It makes my tags 'stronger'. :)

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Reason I rarely, if ever, SL: I'm fresh to the game again after a 3 month break, and I'm nervous that I'll screw up, like how google said.

Comment

A bad thing to do to new squad leaders (As I just saw today) is leave their squad and make your own, or join another, it will make them think they're horrible and will not do it again.
                      |TG|
                      ||||

Comment

Sometimes and along with what sonic and browna have said I feel that players look the other way. I.e. They will wait for regulars who almost always sl to make squads and then join them. I don't mind being a squadleader but there are other times when regulars who always squad lead need a break from it. Nothing bad can come out of being an infantry squad leader, set the pace and what you require of your squad right at the start. If you do that and even ask for suggestions you will do fine win or lose.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                        Level I HazMat Technician
                        NYS EMT-B
                        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

The officer kit is far and away the hardest to use in the game. It's also the only kit you can't really practice with on a training server before trying it out live. Learning when to drop a rally, where to place a FOB, when to place a marker, when to flank, when to attack, when to defend all require a good amount of experience to pick up on.

Then there's the fact that you may need to train 1 or 2 guys per map on how to use their kits, so you'd better have a solid understanding of all the basic infantry kits. One round of Asad Khal recently, I had to teach 3 different guys the medic basics. To contrast what google said, I love running a squad with lots of regulars because I can just lay out what I want to get done and have them take care of the particulars.

Then there's the issue of personality and responsibility. You have to be willing to tell 5 other guys that YOUR way is the way things are going to be done and when you all get killed you have to be able to keep them motivated to continue doing things your way and not just hop to another squad or quit. That's work, and not everyone is cut out for it. Frequently, I want to come home from work and just relax as a grunt.

In summary, lots of people don't SL because it's hard as balls. When you do it right though and everybody is working together, its easily the most rewarding experience in PR. So give some props to all your SLs :)

Comment

One word: Energy
                            I hate having to herd people together like I'm a freakin sheepdog.

Comment

Remember guys, we have a ton of regular squad leaders here who are always willing to help you out. If you are interested in SL'ing but are too afraid of screwing up or don't feel that you know how shoot one of them a line, either by PM, xfire or TS. I'm sure someone would gladly hop in your squad and help you out!

As for me, I have more fun squad leading then being a grunt. I always like making my own decisions and ordering people around :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X