Dual Monitors and PR (Question)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Monitors and PR (Question)

So with two monitors you just move the mouse to the edge of one of the screens and the pointer appears on the other monitor and then you do stuff on the 2nd monitor???

This set up does not take up bandwith or ram or whatever... ??

I have an Router and could get a separate PC going - two pcs each with one monitor .. would this take up bandwith ??? moreso than 2 monitors .. I would need to grow more arms as I would be using 2 separate mouses .. too..

Anyway, so how does 2 monitors work any drawbacks.. ???

Re: Dual Monitors and PR (Question)

Dual monitor setups have 2 monitors hooked to one computer.
    Check the back of your computer to see if your video card has 2 outs

Comment

IIRC you need two gfx cards to run two monitors which shouldn't be an issue, since everyone mostly has a standalone one and an onboard one (which comes with the mobo) however if you have two completely different ones, I'm not sure how that would go, the game would probably put a massive strain just on one, since with two monitors the resolution would stretch horizontal (ie. if you run 1024x768, the two-screen res would be 2048x768).

Just a theory though, I never ran games with two screens.

Comment

Two monitors on one computer makes your video card work harder. I have an ATI 4850 with 1 gig memory. I have no problems running PR at full graphics and TS on the other monitor.

It does work best if both monitors are of the same make and model. Not necessary but easier on your computer since it will use the same driver for both monitors.

I find no draw back to having two monitors instead of one. Mind you I did upgrade my graphics card a the same time I switched to two monitors.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Gunny when in game I have to alt/tab to use the second monitor on which I have TS running, the cursor is sort of locked to the main monitor as it were. I am not sure if there is a way of altering this as you turn in PR before your cursor hits the 'boundary of the screen'. Sorry if thats a poor explanation.

However I can see what is going on in TS without having to use the cursor on that monitor. Only downside is that when people join/leave TS channels the channel window scrolls up/down so you can no longer see who is in your particular channel. I then Alt/tab to drag the channel I am in back up to the viewable part of the screen and Alt/tab back to the game. Perhaps there is an easier way of doing this but it hasn't dawned on me yet lol!

Comment

i have the same problem like wickens. is there a way to "lock" ts so that you see only the pr channels? (and not lounge, arma, ihs channels).

| | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye2550 View Post
              i have the same problem like wickens. is there a way to "lock" ts so that you see only the pr channels? (and not lounge, arma, ihs channels).
              +REP to whoever tells us how to do that, one of the most annoying things about TS. It 's even been suggested in the TS forums years ago. If only there was a CLIENTSIDE way to hide all other channels or prevent them from expanding when someone switches/leaves/joins.

I think the only way to get around ALT+TAB 'ing to your second screen is by playing PR in windowed mode in stead of fullscreen mode.
              Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

@Outlawz7
                You don't need 2 cards, just one.

As far as teamspeak, I have looked for years for a way to lock TS, and lots of googling later never found a way.

And it doesn't really put any more strain on your computer, as long as you have a decent CPU/memory so the other stuff can run in the background. The GPU isn't really working much harder to have that 2nd monitor going. I have run both with and without, and I still get the same FPS.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I do find a small FPS drop with the secondary monitor enabled, so I edit my shortcut to disable the second monitor when bf2 starts, and then it restores it once bf2 is closed.

The program I, and many use is UltraMon. A must have for any multi screen users.

Comment

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...lem-158929.php

I would really liketo have two Mice working, that way I could make adjustments in TS without Alt Tabing..

Wonder if that would work..

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                      http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...lem-158929.php

I would really like to have two Mice working, that way I could make adjustments in TS without Alt Tabing..

I know you 're running Vista but this might be worth a shot.

Originally posted by CNPMouse
                      Use multiple mice in ordinary Windows applications
                      Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:45:37 GMT

It is now possible to use more than one mouse even in ordinary Windows applications, not specifically desinged with this purpose in mind.

Simply install the CPNMouse driver and run the application from the "ordinary" package.

PLEASE read the README file before submitting any bugs!
                      Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post

I would really liketo have two Mice working, that way I could make adjustments in TS without Alt Tabing..

Isn't possible Windows can only have one active full screen window as soon as you alt tab the game minimizes.

I played PR with dual screen setup years ago on a much older computer, it didn't cause much fps drop but it was notisable. With a modern computer it shouldn't be a big problem.

Comment

You could always just have two computers, one running teamspeak/xfire/etc and the other running PR.

Comment

I can run PR from a shortcut with fullscreen +0 and this would allow me to still see what was happening while I was alt+tab'd out..

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              @Outlawz7
                              You don't need 2 cards, just one.

As far as teamspeak, I have looked for years for a way to lock TS, and lots of googling later never found a way.
                              I did some googling and the only thing I can see is that the admins would have to switch the TS server over to Public so that you could only see the people that are in the channel you are in. It doesn't make much sense so hopefully that will be fixed in TS3

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X