Mumble is the bomb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumble is the bomb

I played four rounds on Friday where all the major squad leaders were on Mumble and a large percentage of the squad members were also joining in on the fun. These were probably the four most engaging and enjoyable rounds I've ever participated in. The level of coordination was fantastic, and inter-squad cooperation was easy and painless. Not to mention that the quality of the de-noising lets you actually pick out specific voices in the crowd! The level of teamwork (not to mention the banter and other fun stuff) was truly incredible.

Quite frankly, if mumble was made mandatory to play on the TG server I would be incredibly happy. It beats the snot out of TS for the purposes of allowing squads to cooperate without a commander orchestrating things, with the added bonus of letting entire squads in close proximity to cooperate without flooding the voice channels or becoming unmanagable.

Fantastic game, guys.

Re: Mumble is the bomb

No.

I don't like mumble.

I certainly don't like hearing all that chit chatter, TS is bloody bad enough as it is. Especially with certain members who seem to let us know every detail and difficulty their squads encounter. (and while we have commanders?????)

You guys can have fun doing your mumble thing, but I quite enjoy just playing as I do. Because I don't know, even the way its used doesn't help the whole reality gameplay aspect (yes hearing teammates helps, but its a little ridiculous at the distances people hear and talk, and its effect on the gameplay - especially when I've had people in my squad who listen on it but don't talk, or don't tell me they have it on, and then give my position away without letting me know a thing really irks me)

Its so abused sometimes in my opinion that I wonder why its there at all.

Oh, and again - I don't want to hear more then I already do!! I find in PR we have one of two vocal options. (No information what so ever) and (SHUT UP I CAN'T HEAR!! I've got a Commander in one ear, a squad on the other, and TEAMSPEAK up the rear) God knows I couldn't handle throwing Mumble in on that especially when it could mean I hear both teams.

SO DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO USE IT.
    ? is around the corner.
    ? did that come from.
    ? killed me.
    ? Who, What, Where. All the time.
    The Question Mark.

Comment

I've only used it a handful of times, but I only thought it was novel each time. I haven't had the "wow" experience with it yet. I'm willing to try it a few more times, but I've had some really good games with squad chat only recently, even while lots of folks were on mumble.

I'm not going to uninstall it, but I don't really anticipate using it either. It probably won't get reinstalled on my next reformat.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of mumble. Half the time I don't want to hear the people in MY squad, and I definitely don't want to hear someone from another squad who may or may not be 13 years old give me a play-by-play of every enemy they encounter. Being able to talk to my squad, the CO and other SLs over teamspeak is plenty of communication for me.

Comment

In the future Mumble will be part of PR. I am allmost certain of it. I also have a sneaky suspicion that alot of the "CHATTER" will be reduced, as your average Joe Schmo Player will not be allowed to use the Force Center Key and talk to all. He will only be able to talk to those in his immediate vicinity.

Of course I could be wrong...

I understand Mumble can be frustrating, If I load it after I launch PR then I can hear everyone, at any distance, and this is quite frustrating. Its still early in the Mumble/PR evolution, so give it time and lets see what happens

Comment

I don't mind one guy on my squad who has Mumble. He's like our squad's translator, he tells us what they are saying/doing. But I will rather wait when it becomes more install/setup friendly. I have enough trouble installing things with 2 clicks of the "Run" button.

Comment

From reading in the Dev Dump, it does seem that Mumble will be intregrated into PR eventually. Of course, when it is integrated, I'm am absolutely sure it will complement the game very much so...even more than it does now. I enjoy it. I've been on both sides of the fence on it. At first I loved it, after a while I got tired of all the people that didn't set it up correctly and force speaking to everyone. But, at least on the TG server, People have seemed to figure it out and it is very enjoyable. Like has been said, it's developing and I'm sure by the time it is implemented it will be very rock solid.
              sigpic
              I'm Back.

Comment

I have to agree with Bandaid and Pancho.

Personally I'm looking forward to it and it can easily be harnessed with squad talk right now. Common problems are well known, rid these as much as possible and I am sure this kind of communication lies in the future of gaming.

Comment

Mumble is a great idea, but people are wrecking it.

Singing, movement play by play, marco/polo, all the #[email protected]% wrecks the point of having it.

As a replacement for ingame voip, I like that idea, but when it is just an addition, its just a goof-off tool. Might as well put name tags back on enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Exakter View Post
                    No.

I don't like mumble.

I certainly don't like hearing all that chit chatter, TS is bloody bad enough as it is. Especially with certain members who seem to let us know every detail and difficulty their squads encounter. (and while we have commanders?????)

You guys can have fun doing your mumble thing, but I quite enjoy just playing as I do. Because I don't know, even the way its used doesn't help the whole reality gameplay aspect (yes hearing teammates helps, but its a little ridiculous at the distances people hear and talk, and its effect on the gameplay - especially when I've had people in my squad who listen on it but don't talk, or don't tell me they have it on, and then give my position away without letting me know a thing really irks me)

Its so abused sometimes in my opinion that I wonder why its there at all.

Oh, and again - I don't want to hear more then I already do!! I find in PR we have one of two vocal options. (No information what so ever) and (SHUT UP I CAN'T HEAR!! I've got a Commander in one ear, a squad on the other, and TEAMSPEAK up the rear) God knows I couldn't handle throwing Mumble in on that especially when it could mean I hear both teams.

SO DON'T MAKE ME HAVE TO USE IT.
                    If you used mumble in the first weeks it ame out and when the server had no voip this was what it was like because noone had it setup properly and everyone was new to it and justing messing around. Now that people have had some time with it there isnt the goofing around going on(there are still the rare occurences but that happens on any voice program and they just need a good old kick).

Some members of TG have been given admin rights so if someone is continuosly spamming with force center or anything like that just ask if there is anyone that can deal with it just like in TS. You should really try it out again now that people actually know how to use it.
                    |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                      Mumble is a great idea, but people are wrecking it.

Singing, movement play by play, marco/polo, all the #[email protected]% wrecks the point of having it.

As a replacement for ingame voip, I like that idea, but when it is just an addition, its just a goof-off tool. Might as well put name tags back on enemy.

I think you will find that once PR has its official adoption of mumble and TG has its own mumble server these problems will be dealt with.... harshly.

Personally I think it is an interesting addition to game play. In real life you would have to be careful about when and were you spoke, so why not have that as an element in game. In gaming reality, we will have the best of both worlds. We will have in-game VOIP so that only our squad hears us, but we will have mumble for those snap moments when shouting to the nearest blue-tag teammate can make all the difference. How many times have you wanted to warn a blue-tag but couldn't (unless they were actually in the TS coordination channel)?

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                        I think you will find that once PR has its official adoption of mumble and TG has its own mumble server these problems will be dealt with.... harshly.

Personally I think it is an interesting addition to game play. In real life you would have to be careful about when and were you spoke, so why not have that as an element in game. In gaming reality, we will have the best of both worlds. We will have in-game VOIP so that only our squad hears us, but we will have mumble for those snap moments when shouting to the nearest blue-tag teammate can make all the difference. How many times have you wanted to warn a blue-tag but couldn't (unless they were actually in the TS coordination channel)?
                        Not often, it happens, but when it doesnt we kill said enemy and revive them.

I have issues with people using it almost like a spy tool for the enemy "I hear them on Mumble!.... right here" or guys using it without my knowledge talking to the enemy for giggles.

That said, I don't want to hear people. I don't. As I said previously I can hardly handle some of the chatter from TS (which has been here for ages!), so to think things will magically be better with Mumble is a bit of a shot in the dark I think.

Unless everyone is okay with me being "That Guy" - the one running around yelling "Shut up shut up shut up" just so I can hear my own squad, or more importantly signs that the enemy is running or sneaking up on me.

Just yesterday, thanks to about 2 people, TS was barely usable on EJOD. It got my entire squad wiped on one occasion as two of my guys got shot, proceeded to tell me where from, but I couldn't hear them, or even the shots themselves because of the incessant chatter.

I finally just screamed shut up, which helped us reform and kill the enemy which had ambushed us, but it NEVER SHOULD have happened.

Its moments like those that make me not want to use TS, and I think I agree with Glory - as an addition its not functional. I'm even worried about it replacing a fully functional ingame VOIP. Haven't you guys heard "If it work's, don't break it." (I know its slightly different, I changed it for my purposes)
                        ? is around the corner.
                        ? did that come from.
                        ? killed me.
                        ? Who, What, Where. All the time.
                        The Question Mark.

Comment

I would like to see the TG PR community transition to Mumble, but I don't think the community or the software are ready for that transition.

Also, I think we should start separating the teams into the two Mumble channels we have on the PR Murmur server. All the inter-team local VOIP does is provide opportunities to stalk and harass the other team.

Comment

Originally posted by Charity Case View Post
                            Also, I think we should start separating the teams into the two Mumble channels we have on the PR Murmur server. All the inter-team local VOIP does is provide opportunities to stalk and harass the other team.
                            Already possible, we have 2 TG channels server 1 and server 2. The can be used like TS, 1 team use 1 one team use 2.

As far as the negitives a select few are mentioning...

Dont use it, its not a big deal if you dont.
                            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Charity Case View Post
                              I would like to see the TG PR community transition to Mumble, but I don't think the community or the software are ready for that transition.

Agreed. Just finished a game I joined midway. I checked the names. Everyone in both teams was in one channel (Team 2). I asked all my side, USA, to go to the free channel I sat alone in (Team 1). Nothing..

Then..

To my horror, as I logged off at the end of the game to eat, everyone was in my (Team 1) channel!?!

Go figure..

Because of the obvious advantage people get, and considering there are two channels for seperate teams, what is the offical line of this?: Cheating? Or, stupidity in tactics if you are going to speak in hostile areas especially since you can hear for unrealistic distances right now aswell?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X