What is Skill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Skill?

This thread is just a prerequisite to something deeper that I'd like to delve into, but am sure that it's not the time for.

So what does skill mean in this game we call Project Reality.

We all preach that TG players aren't necessarily "skilled". What does that mean? Is it that you don't have lightning fast reflexes that are necessary for generic FPS skill?

Well IMO, skill in Project Reality is experience. Experience of what to do in any given situation,experience in how long it takes your gun to be pulled to your waist, experience of knowing the maps like the back of your hands,experience only gained through playing. And this experience really isn't needed for the vast majority of players, this experience is needed especially for Squad leaders, for it is they who direct the game, and they who determine the tides of the game.

So I have to know, what makes a good Project Reality player, and what is "skill"?
    Last edited by SamO; 05-24-2009, 02:49 AM.

Re: What is Skill?

Skill in PR is knowing when to be where, and being able to keep situational awareness to take advantage of being in the right place.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

To be successful at PR, you have to be willing to listen to others and learn.

Comment

Skill is realizing your only a cog in the big machine, but by damn, your going to be the most greasiest slick cog you can be and if the machine breaks down it wont be for lack of effort by yourself

Comment

Staying on task and knowing the role you have chosen
          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

-Situational awareness from the whole squad, not just the squad leader. Maintaining this situational awareness even under fire or pressure.

-Knowing beforehand strategicaly what the enemy will be doing and not walking into the most predictable path, taking different unpredictable paths to the enemy (which I still have to learn). You have to see the battlefield as well from the commanders viewpoint.

-Squad leading with a strong aura of confidence (which I have problems at). Enabling that your team follows you and not being forgiving to those who don't follow orders properly.

-Teaching people something, not keeping it for yourself.

-To know when to retreat, when to flank, how to flank, adapting to the situation faster then other regulars.
            Foxwolves or folves for short are very versatile. Sniper, engineer, soldier, strategist, medic, commando.
            All in one package.
            The most obvious though is death.

Comment

For a squadmember I consider skill to be the ability to hear what your squadleader is saying (if you cant hear him ask him to repeat) and then do what he asks you to. when he gives you an order then tell him that you heard the order and will comply or am unable to comply. If you don't know how to use a kit assigned to you tell him.

If people are capable of that then they are skilled/good squadmembers, ofcourse it helps if I have one or two good shooters and a decent medic but if I dont have the above then it doesn't matter how good they are at shooting because I cant work with it.
              If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Skill in PR is the ability to keep a level head, to take advantage of any ground and to ensure stability within your squad, keeping active and clear communication with your team and essentially knowing what to do in any given circumstance without delay

Comment

For me skill isn't winning or killing 169 people while you didn't die the whole round.

Skill is to have a squad that you can have fun with, to bring some laugh with your squad mates, and to remember the round 2 months from now as good old times.

Ofcourse you have fun if you kill alot of enemies with your squad, but that's just not it, you can play some FPS and get really good at it and does it bring the same satisfaction as PR ?

I don't think so, at least not in my case. So that's why I love to play with t-man, wickens, browna and others that bring you an A game and still keep that fun level up. ( Don't want to disrespect others, there are BUNCH of other players that do that)

It's like playing sport, do you prefer just winning while you are in a professional relationship with other players and tense all the time or do you want to have fun while doing it, even if you are not number one ?

Don't get me wrong I don't want to tell my squad to take pilot kits and just litter the Ejod with red smoke, there still has to be that standard, but I think that comes by itself if played right.

Comment

Skill is an individuals ability, which results in the required critera being reached at the bare minimum, or being perfected with the use of little energy, or in PR's case, manpower and resources.

To me, skill is completing the desired role you have undertaken, whether it be sniper or TOW humvees. If you complete this and do a little extra on top ( Helpful extra, not teabagging extra), then you are skilled.

Comment

What is the skill shown here when you look at the server status?
                      I've never understood.

|

Comment

I don't get your question warlab, also what site did you get that server info?

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/working...x.php?sh_srv=0

I've never understood what the skill column is reflecting.

|

Comment

Originally posted by warlab View Post
                            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/working...x.php?sh_srv=0

Misspelled Kill ?

:D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by WARLAB

Its Kills..

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                              Staying on task and knowing the role you have chosen

I believe its this and also alot of experiance and patience..

Its knowing where the Transport Helos are likely to fly over on Kashan, and then waiting to ambush them,

Its knowing the easiest way up the hillsides on Korrengal,

Its having the insight to leave your Rally 300m away from the action..

Its being able to multi-task as SL and constantly be aware of where your SM's are and redirecting them (Skill I Lack)

Calling out targets and letting the whole squad know where they are before you give away your position by firing on them. So when they are engaged they have little hope of surviving.
                              Last edited by llPANCHOll; 05-24-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X