TG Mumble Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Mumble Server

Recently, I've become convinced that our community needs its own Mumble server. I say this for two reasons:

1) As Mumble's popularity has increased, the load on the PR Mumble server has increased, leading to, at times, reduced sound quality and server problems.

2) While I don't know the exact reason why, I'm fairly sure that the Mumble server was temporarily shut down recently due to some drama between the clan hosting the server and the PR devs.

Now, these issues haven't been much of a problem because our community doesn't use Mumble very seriously. But if this same crap was happening on our TS, I doubt any of us would stand for it. So, if the TG PR community is going to fully adopt Mumble (which I hope we will), we're going to need our own server.

I know our mods and admins have been lobbying for a server. And I'm not saying that they need to be lobbying harder or anything. What I'm saying is "How can I help make this happen?" And how can all the other Mumble-loving :D community members help?

Re: TG Mumble Server

The only negative side that I see with our own mumble server is that not as many people will go on it. The reason I think we get more people in mumble than TS sometimes is that its non TG people that are registered on the PR mumble server and join or channel. They don't want to have to come to our site and register just to get on mumble.

I'm not sure if I want TG to have our own because then it will just be the same people on TS as mumble. If anyone has ideas how to get more people to join it please say them. But please no tell them to go tacticalgamer.com and find the mumblle stuff there, because that is what we say for TS and I don't think a lot of players register on TG just to go in TS when they could be playing.
    |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Once the Mumble-PR integration issues are resolved (and they are close to being so), then we will work on getting a mumble server of our own.

Until then, just hold tight. There is already a mumble server up and running with TG channels in it that a lot of our TG admins have admin rights on, so use that one for the time being.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

that one has not been working last 2 days dispo, but more to the point once Mumble is integrated into PR I dont see a need to use TS as a primary alternate chat method.

Comment

pr's mumble server back up!

Comment

Speaking of which. In the thread Charity made about PR Mumble, it was mentioned the Devs were working on a 2nd version because of bugs found.

Is there any advancement on this version?

Or, is it a case I should revert back to (original) Mumble? For example are the issues raised (like, fixed hearing distances) being ironed out in this version?

In any case, I like it too :)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisweb89 View Post
              The only negative side that I see with our own mumble server is that not as many people will go on it. The reason I think we get more people in mumble than TS sometimes is that its non TG people that are registered on the PR mumble server and join or channel. They don't want to have to come to our site and register just to get on mumble.
              The major hurdle for TG TS is that you have to register on the forums, which requires confirmation through email. As Mumble will probably only be used by one or two sections of the TG community, I doubt it will be integrated into the site. I'm guessing that it will be no harder to access a TG Mumble server than it is to access the current PR Mumble.

What I mainly want to see is our community unite behind one standard, be it TS or Mumble.

*Edit*
              Originally posted by Taip3n View Post
              Speaking of which. In the thread Charity made about PR Mumble, it was mentioned the Devs were working on a 2nd version because of bugs found.

Is there any advancement on this version?
              From what I've heard, PR Mumble Beta v0.5 is almost ready. Until then, I suggest you stick with the .4 version of the beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Charity Case View Post
                What I mainly want to see is our community unite behind one standard, be it TS or Mumble.
                I strongly agree with this statement. Between RL apps and PR, I have 5 voip clients open now. The keybinds alone are annoying to manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Charity Case View Post
                  The major hurdle for TG TS is that you have to register on the forums, which requires confirmation through email. As Mumble will probably only be used by one or two sections of the TG community, I doubt it will be integrated into the site. I'm guessing that it will be no harder to access a TG Mumble server than it is to access the current PR Mumble.
                  From what I've heard, PR Mumble Beta v0.5 is almost ready. Until its release, I suggest you use the .4 version of the beta.

While Mumble is a nifty tool, I think that TS is better (and I have NOT tried the new mumble) only because I have heard of alot of crashing issues associated with Mumble. Now please don't start a flame war against if these no longer exist. I'm just saying that, please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I think that either mumble or TS works as long as many people use it.

Comment

Oh man, I haven't used Mumble in so long, I completely forgot I had it.

I'll try to use it next time I get on.

Comment

I disagree. Having our own Mumble server would reduce the number of Mumble users on our server and would alienate TG.

I've seen how some people use Mumble, a couple times a bunch of mumble users form into one big "mumble mob." This mob of users will go from server to server as a whole, going from different channels within the one PR Mumble server (this is how stuff like the giant knife fight is organized), traveling from TCombat to a Virginia server to a =]H[= Chicago server, etc. Now, if they were to consider going to TG, it would be shot down because they would all have to switch servers. How often have you seen someone say "Ok, everybody, switch to server 192.168.67.36" and nobody has problems? Does "Wait, I was microwaving a burrito, what is the IP?" or "can you say that again? I forgot" or "Pwn3ge was talking, I couldn't hear" sound familiar? In mumble mobs like these, people will go to easily accessible servers, and if TG isn't one of their options, then they aren't going to want to go to TG, even when they are by themselves.

Plus, there is the whole elitism thing that has to be taken into consideration. Most of the PR servers are all on the one Mumble server. If we just whip out our own shiny server, I think you know what idea people could get.

The official PR mumble server has its problems, some of them can be solved by obtaining a higher number of honorable admins, but there will always be problems such as the existing one where it'll go down or be the subject of controversy. The system the PR community has right now is good. Perhaps if the official PR Mumble client has a shortened list of the few PR mumble servers hardcoded into it (including TG's server), then it would be feasible (There has to be at least a thousand Mumble servers on the list right now).
                        Waldo II

Comment

I prefer mumble because it allows pilots and apc crews to talk to the infantry they are carrying without filling up TS chat for everyone else. For that alone I prefer mumble over TS.

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                            I prefer mumble because it allows pilots and apc crews to talk to the infantry they are carrying without filling up TS chat for everyone else. For that alone I prefer mumble over TS.
                            Agree
                            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
                              I disagree. Having our own Mumble server would reduce the number of Mumble users on our server and would alienate TG.
                              TG has its own TS server, and yet TG is still functioning.

I am curious to know the cost of a mumble server, and please if it is not truly public knowledge or not appropriate for this forum please PM me, I would be more than happy to donate a few bucks if the opportunity arises in the future to allocate a mumble server for TG.

I think as a backup and a opportunity for those who do not use mumble to still keep TS an option for players at TG (i don't see it going away completely), but as a former naysayer of mumble, give it a shot, it is truly a cool experience, you will be amazed at how different you will look at the game.

I still am looking forward to experiencing mumble with platoon size units in PR, hopefully it will come soon enough.
                              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                              Level I HazMat Technician
                              NYS EMT-B
                              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...