Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip

Greetings TG,

Warlab and I have been friends since high school - that is a long time ago for most of you. We graduated in 1982.

We are big U.S. Civil War buffs, so we planned a road trip to visit 2 major civil war battlefields - Shiloh and Chickamauga - 2 of the biggest in the western front of the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chickamauga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shiloh

We are starting our road trip today from Maryland to Chatanooga Tenessee to start the 6 day journey. After Chickamauga we will travel to Corinth Mississippi to start our tour of Shiloh Battlefield. To wrap up, we are going to the General Patton Armor Museum at Fort Knox Kentucky.

http://www.generalpatton.org/

We plan to post some pics on the way if anyone is interested in our military history trip.

TMAN
    Last edited by TMan; 06-13-2009, 11:43 AM.
    sigpic

Re: Road Trip

while in Kentucky you simply MUST eat at the ORIGINAL KFC. I ate there while on a business trip and now I can tell people about experiencing Colonel Sanders' ghost.
    |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
    sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
    I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

I would like an explanation of the new T-man.

|TG-X| |TG-E1st| T-man?
      Its in the screeny post thread.
      Have fun! Oh and tell warlab's daughter hi for me. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Fighter View Post
        I would like an explanation of the new T-man.

|TG-X| |TG-E1st| T-man?
        Its in the screeny post thread.
        Have fun! Oh and tell warlab's daughter hi for me. :D
        He was playing on warlabs computer?
        sigpic
        "Danger could be my middle name, but it's John..." Eddie Izzard

Comment

I live just across the mountain from Chattanooga. Make sure you go to the fortress on top of Lookout Mountain, though I'm sure you will if that's your purpose for coming here. They've fixed up the waterfront nice and purdy, and the aquarium is a nice feature as well.

There's also a minor league baseball stadium nearby.

If you're looking for a nice restaurant or something, give me a shout over Teamspeak or in a PM and I'll point the way :)

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunlap,_Tennessee <- Me hometown

Comment

Thanks. We are planning to visit both Lookout Mountain and the battlefield.

As for the login / screen name, I was on warlab's pc and forgot to clear his prefix before starting up the game.
            sigpic

Comment

I've always wanted to know about the American civil war, so some basic knowledge and specific knowledge would be lovely.

Comment

That sounds like a pretty sweet roadtrip. Im curious what it might look like if nothing more then a field.

And wasnt the civil war about the south wanting to seceed from the union or something like that and they were fighting to be their own country? And Lincoln was like ahh hell no and then they faught?

Forgive me im a canadian :/
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                  That sounds like a pretty sweet roadtrip. Im curious what it might look like if nothing more then a field.

And wasnt the civil war about the south wanting to seceed from the union or something like that and they were fighting to be their own country? And Lincoln was like ahh hell no and then they faught?

Forgive me im a canadian :/
                  The South wanted slavery and succeded from the Union, but Lincoln apposed slavery and fought the south.

Comment

ey, i live in MD, come pick me up! :D

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Sounds like a good and productive trip there guys. I really hope you enjoy it and looking forward to the pictures and some education.

Have fun! :)

Comment

Have fun guys, just remember what happened the last time someone living in Europe decided to drive through the south...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOyDLUzAAOY[/media]

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

The South wanted slavery and succeded from the Union, but Lincoln apposed slavery and fought the south.
                          They definitely did not "succeed." :)

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Disagreement over slavery was really a minor reason to be perfectly honest with you.

They fought for a variety of the reasons, partly because the North wanted to tax the hell out of the south.

http://americanhistory.about.com/od/..._civil_war.htm

Comment

The South wanted slavery and seceded from the Union, but Lincoln opposed slavery and fought the south.
                              After the election of 1860, many southerners feared that Lincoln would move to abolish slavery all-together (though this was not his intention at all). This is mainly due to the fact that he was the first Republican president which was made up of mostly anti-slavery Whigs before the Whig fell apart. Slavery tensions in new areas had recently risen with the compromise of 1850 and the Kansas-Nebraska. These and other factors (which Startrekern posted) a handful (followed later by other) southern states to secede from the Union.

Lincoln later turned the war in a war "against slavery" with the introduction of the emancipation proclamation. This made the war more justifiable and also gave many people an incentive to keep supporting the war instead of letting the confederate states live.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X