How to USE the Global Chat Function Properly in PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to USE the Global Chat Function Properly in PR

**The Title is supposed to Say, How to USE the Global Chat Function Properly in PR** - I am multitasking at work and caused this blunder.

**I am not an admin, nor am I trying to be one, or impersonate one**

Though part of me wanted to post this in the Tactics and Tips section, I felt that it would get more views here, and if needed could be posted in the tactics and tips section later.

Yesterday's PW night was decent don't get me wrong, however I was appalled at the amount of global chat spam that went on. This included complaining, and discussions about doritos, and other keyboard diarhhea, and it even included a player who from the looks of his text, didn't regsiter and recieved the PW by other means (I took a SS, and hopefully it copied to the folder, and I will PM it to the necessary people).

What global chat is used for:

Alerting Admins, even though TS, or using the !Reporting function in squad chat is preferred (is this the preferred action for it? I have heard different preferences). -

Politely asking if player(s) is near a respected main base which he isn't supposed to be near and engaging the other team if he isn't fired upon, also can be used if a player on a non-insurgent map is purposefully running over people, and if a player is attacking an uncap with an asset etc.

Saying hello to players on the other team who you haven't seen in a while, or some other quick, polite sayings etc.

What global chat isn't used for:

Having full on conversations, about doritos, the weather, movies, or anything else that isn't PR related or what can't be discussed in the many forums hosted at TG. - If you must converse have the common courtesy to do it on TEAM CHAT, or SQUAD CHAT last night on Jabal 3 or 4 players on the MEC side decided to have a full on conversation in global chat for what seemed like several minutes here and there. It was quite pathetic to be honest.

Complaining - Whether you crashed due to your ping, or you are mad at something else, don't say it in global, unless you need to specifically ask an admin a question regarding something, no one cares, sorry to be blunt, and I don't mean to speak for everyone. Talk in squad chat, or ask your SL if you can vent for a few seconds.

Smack Talking - I will admit I have done this, however I have realized that it isn't the right thing to do.

Replying to smack talk - Don't reply, saying nothing is far better than replying, you don't need to justify someone's actions for wanting to seem cool, in the end it will only make the person typing out the smack talk think that they are important and are a funny/witty human being when in reality, they are cluttering up space and only making themselves look more immature.

Yes there are times when using the Global Chat Function is necessary, but more often than not, it isn't, so please think before hitting the "J" key to type, is it really necessary for everyone to know? If its only for your amusement, 99.99999% repeating of the time it isn't, and no one wants to read it anyways.
    Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: How to USE the Global Chat Function Properly in PR

i have used to global for smack talking/taunting a long time ago, but not anymore now that I am exercising more self-restraint or whatever.
    Messages in global like "APACHE DOWWNN11!!1" really piss me off. Everyone knows that the message is really meant to humiliate the player(s) on the opposing team-informing your teammates that an enemy asset is down is secondary.
    Similar messages in global: "lol who was the dude i just knifed in e4" or "all your HAT kit are belong to us" (one I admit to using back in .6)

Taunting should be kickable offense without warning.

Comment

There are scripts to kick people who type in allchat available if the community really wants to come to that. I don't like to see a strict segregation of comms, because honestly this isn't military sim culture here, we are all brothers and friends and while a long discussion on the better types of sausages is not appropriate, sharing a quick laugh with your opponent is trivial and enjoyable and doesnt change the culture of TG.

Comment

Originally posted by Mix0lydian View Post
        i have used to global for smack talking/taunting a long time ago, but not anymore now that I am exercising more self-restraint or whatever.
        Messages in global like "APACHE DOWWNN11!!1" really piss me off. Everyone knows that the message is really meant to humiliate the player(s) on the opposing team-informing your teammates that an enemy asset is down is secondary.
        Similar messages in global: "lol who was the dude i just knifed in e4" or "all your HAT kit are belong to us" (one I admit to using back in .6)

Taunting should be kickable offense without warning.
        Everytime an asset goes down, I just wait for someone on the other team to say something about....
        I don't think a script is the best way to go.
        I just think players(and admins at times) need to crack down on smack-talkers and the likes. (Not in any way am I telling an admin what they need to do, of course it's their decision how this goes)

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
          There are scripts to kick people who type in allchat available if the community really wants to come to that. I don't like to see a strict segregation of comms, because honestly this isn't military sim culture here, we are all brothers and friends and while a long discussion on the better types of sausages is not appropriate, sharing a quick laugh with your opponent is trivial and enjoyable and doesnt change the culture of TG.
          I agree with you on that. For example last night on Assault on Mestia, I joked briefly with nardini while he and the rest of his squad was holed up in the rafters on the west objective, it was a quick joke which was not taken in vain, and he and i laughed about it after on TS.

Its the excessive chatting/not appropriate chatting, much of which comes in the form of speech which Mix pointed out, and the taunting/non-PR related/smack talk related diarhhea of the keyboard in which some players routinely have to chat about....one would think that talking about it in team chat would suffice enough...but then again darwin does work in mysterious ways.

As I posted before, and I can admit that I have talked trash, lets be honest at one point or another we all probably have, but last night on PW night of all places the excessive global chat usage/smack talk was horrendous, and there is only so much the admin can do, Namebot/the other admins on duty did an exceptional job and I only wish I took more screen shots of it I would have posted them here or PM'ed them to the proper place.

I think though its something we as a community can work on, and with that limit the amount of global chat usage that isn't in regards to what is or might be appropriate for global chat communication.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I say we pass a Can-Spam act.

Comment

Can-spam. hehe i always thought that was the act where spammers move thier servers north to avoid prosecution.

Comment

We should however also be careful not to make little things bigger than they are!
                Sometimes it's all in good fun, sometimes it's persons who want to humiliate.

However I think that global & team chat should be used for messages related to the game at hand. Same goes for TS!

Comment

Glad this was brought up because it gives me an opportunity to say a few things.

I wish TG regulars would stop playing Chat-Police and let the admins deal with any issues that arise in chat.

Why can't people talk back and forth? The server isn't a library for crying out loud.

Again, I'll go back to my favorite piece of advice: Just worry about yourself and not everyone else, and everything will take care of itself. You'll spend so much less energy and won't have high blood pressure, and you may even find yourself enjoying your time on the server instead of spending it watching everyone's move like a hawk just waiting for that one little mis-step so you can jump down their throat.

If you don't like people talking in all-chat then just ignore it.

If you don't like people smack-talking in all-chat then just ignore-it. As a TG regular player you probably aren't doing this anyhow, so let it go. Most smack-talkers are pubbies and you probably won't see them again anyway. If they do stick around they'll learn.

If you don't want to debate the latest video cards and which is superior, ignore it.

Seriously, let the admins deal with the problems if there are any that actually need to be dealt with. People saying a few sentences in all-chat is certainly not something that requires anyone's time at all.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I completely agree with you on most points, especially on those annoyingly long discussions. There are forums for a reason.

However, as you alluded to yourself with your confession, a little smack talk doesn't hurt, and livens things up. Of course, outright hostility is a nono.
                    PR in-game name: l?l JackFarrel

Comment

I was on the server yesterday and i remember what randy is talking about, But like dispo said its best to ignore it.

The chat does take up a little of your Field of view but nothing to really make your gaming experience bad. I usually dont even notice the chat at all as im to busy looking at who im shooting or getting shot by.
                      PR ingame name - |TG-Irr| SilverJohn

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                        Glad this was brought up because it gives me an opportunity to say a few things.

I wish TG regulars would stop playing Chat-Police and let the admins deal with any issues that arise in chat.

Why can't people talk back and forth? The server isn't a library for crying out loud.

Again, I'll go back to my favorite piece of advice: Just worry about yourself and not everyone else, and everything will take care of itself. You'll spend so much less energy and won't have high blood pressure, and you may even find yourself enjoying your time on the server instead of spending it watching everyone's move like a hawk just waiting for that one little mis-step so you can jump down their throat.

If you don't like people smack-talking in all-chat then just ignore-it. As a TG regular player you probably aren't doing this anyhow, so let it go. Most smack-talkers are pubbies and you probably won't see them again anyway. If they do stick around they'll learn.

If you don't want to debate the latest video cards and which is superior, ignore it.

Seriously, let the admins deal with the problems if there are any that actually need to be dealt with. People saying a few sentences in all-chat is certainly not something that requires anyone's time at all.
                        Okay, I'm going to disagree. The smacktalk and other global nonsense degrades the integrity of the server. The humiliation when people say things like, "OH YOUR APACHE JUST GOT PWNED!!!!" I don't care who they are, they need to be dealt with. I have probably committed one of the above acts more than once, but now that I know how it feels to be on the recieving end, I understand it's wrong.

Like Randy said:
                        Some things are okay and don't degrade, friendly hello's, asking for admin, etc...
                        It's everything else that is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighter View Post
                          Okay, I'm going to disagree. The smacktalk and other global nonsense degrades the integrity of the server. The humiliation when people say things like, "OH YOUR APACHE JUST GOT PWNED!!!!" I don't care who they are, they need to be dealt with. I have probably committed one of the above acts more than once, but now that I know how it feels to be on the recieving end, I understand it's wrong.

Like Randy said:
                          Some things are okay and don't degrade, friendly hello's, asking for admin, etc...
                          It's everything else that is nonsense.
                          I will respectfully disagree with you, Fighter. It is players such as yourself that go off at a moment's notice on anyone they see talking in public or reporting players for nonsense issues that aren't even rules violations that degrade the integrity of the server and give TG a black eye in the PR community, not someone typing "Failhawk" in public chat.

Ask yourself this: As a new player to TG, which would you remember more about your first experience on TG? Someone typing some meaningless smack-talk, or the players who wear TG tags jumping all over that person and berating them for it?

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Again, I'll go back to my favorite piece of advice: Just worry about yourself and not everyone else, and everything will take care of itself. You'll spend so much less energy and won't have high blood pressure, and you may even find yourself enjoying your time..
                            Soundest of the pieces of advise.

Soundest of the pieces of (spiritual) advise.

And since learning it, I try to implement it on a day-to-day level in my life, when I don't get the better of myself, as per usual, that is.

Top piece of advise there Dispo. Thanks for the reminder for me, let alone in a game channel but they are one and the same in reality - I am there.

Comment

I try to ignore it but sometimes there is just too much text flying by my screen from the other team. So if I'm trying to communicate with another squad by typing or if a squad member doesn't have a mic and is trying to type me something important and I miss it.What would my best option be to stop the spam?
                              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X