Proposal for LMG realism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal for LMG realism

Now I know the patch has only been out for a couple days, but i think LMG's should be addressed early on. The way the DEV team implemented the LMGs as an effective anti-infantry weapon is great. We can now truly suppress targets with an accurate barrage from the LMG, however something is inherently off about the LMG.

My proposal is one that might not be able to be made a rule due to the difficult nature in regulating it. If possible, i suggest we make it so a player using the LMG can't use the deployed mode while standing unless he is actually using something on which the LMG can rest, as it was intended. Same would go for crouching*. This would be the most realistic implementation of the weapon. If this can't be enforced as a rule, at least make it highly suggested for all TG players, and all players on the server in general.

Discuss.

*I'm not sure if crouching is as unrealistic as standing up, but it just seems logical.

Re: Proposal for LMG realism

I know buddies of mine who have engaged targets holding an LMG free standing at targets 300m away. It can be done so I'm not going to say that it shouldn't be allowed in game.

Pro Patria

Comment

Originally posted by Zedic View Post
      It can be done so I'm not going to say that it shouldn't be allowed in game.
      I agree totally. The LMG is now an effective squad based weapon. Instead of some useless requestable kit.
      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

I say leave the AR the way it is. Its pretty realistic and you can work your way around them with the proper tactics. It just makes fireteams more useful then they have been until now. one team hang back and draw fire and the other flank and take it out have done this a couple of times and it works. The problem for the AR is that it is easy to get tunnel vision so if he is on his own he is pretty easy to flank. And if he have a squad with him then find a way. A grenadier would be my first bet to have the squad fall back. ARs are usually more reluctant to fall back to cover so you might get him with that and at the same time make the rest of the squad duck for cover.
        If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

It is nearly impossible to enforce rules of that kind, so unless there is a modification to the game, you have to live with it as is.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
            I say leave the AR the way it is. Its pretty realistic and you can work your way around them with the proper tactics. It just makes fireteams more useful then they have been until now. one team hang back and draw fire and the other flank and take it out have done this a couple of times and it works. The problem for the AR is that it is easy to get tunnel vision so if he is on his own he is pretty easy to flank. And if he have a squad with him then find a way. A grenadier would be my first bet to have the squad fall back. ARs are usually more reluctant to fall back to cover so you might get him with that and at the same time make the rest of the squad duck for cover.
            In addition to that, you could have a squad member start moving a certain direction and drawing the fire of the enemy AR and then move up to grenade range/start firing 3 shot bursts at his direction and his squadmates making him switch positions/have to recalibrate.

Or at this time I would just tell Zedic to move right in a zig zag formation firing as he goes to draw the enemy fire while the rest of us move up and flank the squad entirely/make the AR focus soley on Zedic. - There is the 5 minute revive time for a reason.

- Alas until I get .86 up and running this is just a pipe dream of mine.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

The A/R was always my favorite weapon (close call with the HAT), and now it is ESPECIALLY my favorite weapon. I went 20 and 5 with it last night on Kashan.

While 4 of those kills may have been from a mounted .50 on a HUMVEE, but the rest of them were from a deployed-prone position. I think I did fire from a deployed-standing/crouched position, but that was just to provide covering fire for my squad's withdrawal. It's almost impossible to hit anything at distance with the A/R unless you are prone.

I usually just use the zoom to scout while standing, but I wouldn't even bother shooting at somebody unless I were prone.
              Last edited by CR8Z; 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

No new rules! No new rules! No new rules!

What is so wrong with coming up with tactics to overcome an obstacle?

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                  What is so wrong with coming up with tactics to overcome an obstacle?
                  Is that what the Tactical, in "TacticalGamer" stands for?

<Knocks own head against wall a few times>

<Light Bulb shows up above head and turns on!>

Now I get it!!
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Ahh what it was back in the day when my old trusty AK47 Grenade Launcher noobtube reaaalllly meant something. We had to think of arcs, timing and everything.

You young one's now sit about in a corner or some far off place waiting for people to pass you like some unsuspecting ant besides a spider. Back in my day we had to go out to make a noobtube living.

The world has got too modern for me, I guess. I'll call it Simpsons Noobtubing; just sitting about eating doughnuts in some far off hidden corner waiting for things to happen. We used to roll up our sleaves and get on with it (continues along this line ad infinitum)..

<ps, yeah, I do think it's too powerful and yeah I will live with it (just about) and overcome (oh yes!). Just a remark on the now devistating LMG sniper (back to a wall/besides out of bounds/up a far off hill, etc), in a game. Though will support the desire to make Project Reality, and the foresight of such input into the game for key aspects such as balance, maps, and playability, slowly but surely as the projects' designers advance on their plans of the game. They do a good job and I am sure this is all part of the plan to be addressed later, as I am sure this was applied with timing and reason, with the overall plan in mind. They have done this before as the past updates seem to prove to me>.

<pps, before I get sarcastic - in private - remarks (from people who can't say sorry) from those that don't read my words, nor pick up my own self depretiation, humour and openess, 'ad infinitum' is from a great magazine called Private Eye, famous in the UK for its humour, sarcasm and desire to make sure we all get a fair chance.. apart from the politicians :P Et voila>

Comment

Not sure if anyone has covered this yet... didn't really take the time to read all the posts. But in order to have a rule like this, it'd require an admin watching every person w/ a LMG 24/7... not only would this be difficult, but it'd be unfair to the admins. Why should they have to spend their time baby sitting other people to enforce a rule that the game allows? Like Disposable said, just come up w/ a tactic to overcome the obstacle. It isn't terribly hard to flank the LMG gunner if done correctly.

Comment

Tunnel Vision
                        Large Amounts of tracer
                        8 second vunerability at 50m+
                        Everyone's priority target
                        Not top of the food chain

These a few negatives of the LMG. Nobody claimed about an automatic 20-30mm cannon, but everyone throws a hissy fit over some optics and realism. Granted, the rifleman kits may not be as balanced, but its an interesting element to have proper fireteams.

To me, this propisition is like the Treaty of Versailles.
                        Last edited by Eavy Gunner; 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

good intentions; nightmarish implementation :(
                          |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                          sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
                          I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

Good intention, great implementation.

The same kind of accuracy (not exactly, but to a point) should transmit to rifles, however. Just taking the minimum deviation of assault rifles down a notch would allow a rifleman at 300m to knock off the LMG gunner who is deploying (waiting that 8 seconds for accuracy) without squad support...

At the time being, a shot fired from a rifle at 300m is a bit off... the max deviation should stay as it is, but the minimum should change to a more appropriate amount for rifles.

The LMG makes you need to stay down or employ better tactic to dispose of the gunner. Make use of those tactics, and hope that they become more of the pubbies toolbox as time progresses.

Comment

Why would you shoot standing when you do not have some piece of cover to stand behind ? The AR was effective before too. Only difference is, its easier to get kills at range.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X