When Lag Strikes Back!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Lag Strikes Back!

So, I've had some close calls with the beast known as 'lag', and oft being a helicopter pilot, I've had to deal with a lot of near-death spikes.

A lot of the time, I am in the perfect position in and out of the lag spike to just barely save ourselves from certain death, then get the mission done and say 'apologies for the close one there guys, got a bit of lag up there'

However... I have found my match.

One round on Qinling; I was in the Lynx, extracting a squad from one flag to bring them quickly into the British Farm flag... Things were going fine; Found the troops on the ground, got in a hover despite the strange LZ they attempted, got everyone in within 15 seconds (non-hostile area), got us up in the air, and began flying just above the treeline to farm. It was a comfortable ride for me, I've been able to fly map of the earth for quite a long time. Then, we were in view of the farm. Just seconds away from getting to a safe LZ, I see a flash of a message on my screen, only for a split second... the famous 'You have lost connection to the server.'

And then, All of a sudden, I'm 4-5m off the ground, heading for a set of trees. I make a quick turn to slide just between 2 trees, make it through fine, with a lot of unwanted speed... and then, after making that close call, there was 3 trees... I tried my best to pitch up, only to scream fast into the tree, killing a Lynx, myself, and a full squad of men, when farm was capped, with bleed and no respawn...

That sucked.

Re: When Lag Strikes Back!

:( That's a shame. Nothing worse than not only killing your self but an entire squad when there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

I haven't flown on TG because I know I would cause aggravation from my constant lag related deaths. But unfortunately that's what you get when your an English TG'er playing PR.

I prefer keeping 2 feet on the ground any way.:)

Comment

Often times Celestial likes to try stunts to impress people when he flies transport, and whenever he messes up he blames it on lag. I know this b/c he told me on TS.

/end joking; yea that sucks Celestial, lagged owned me today as well in Kashan. I went to destroy a MEC FB in the middle of the map, knifed the radio 3 times, ran to the crates and dropped an incendiary on the crates. A guy spawns in and I'm frantically trying to bring up my gun to take him out, but was no good and he ended up taking me out. I sit there waiting for the explosion from the FB and the crates, but turned out that lag also owned me and the FB and crates sat there perfectly fine.

Comment

that really sucks... but a cool story bro...
        If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Got to be careful in the heli when flying over the map for the first time, it can pause half a second to load textures from the disk.
          Pays to just fly over the map at high altitude when its still quiet, it can still stutter a bit to load fine detail but it wont be half as bad

Apart from the huey which is suicidal most helis are self correcting so a bit of alt will give enough leeway though its obviously bad news on some maps to fly high later on.
          Best heli for this is the wasp, if you take hands off the controls or mouse mid flight or your link goes dead a sec the nose will pull up and it'll slow before crashing but littlebird is slightly nose heavy and will I think increase speed with no input

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Your correct about the wasp, it does go up when power is applied. For the huey, if you have a lag spike, do not apply power during. Pull up without any power, as hueys with nose dives wont pull up if they have 100% throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post
              Your correct about the wasp, it does go up when power is applied. For the huey, if you have a lag spike, do not apply power during. Pull up without any power, as hueys with nose dives wont pull up if they have 100% throttle.
              The biggest problem with that is when u begin to nose dive u try automatically push your fingers through the keyboard whilst screaming like an lsd monkey.

Must remain calm in the face of nose dives.

I nearly lagged a HIP into the china atk chopper today......that woulda caused alot of name calling :P
              Nihility

Comment

Yesterday first I got lots of lag after taking off on Archer and then I got Punkbusted (never happened before) with 3 ppl in my choppa

Comment

I really hate this, it's even worse when your flying the Lynx.
                  [

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                    Got to be careful in the heli when flying over the map for the first time, it can pause half a second to load textures from the disk.
                    Pays to just fly over the map at high altitude when its still quiet, it can still stutter a bit to load fine detail but it wont be half as bad
                    Well, if that was in reference to my post, I have to say that you're not understanding the predicament I was in.

I was on the British team, flying the lynx. I had been around farm more than once, let alone have I ever experienced a problem with loading textures and objects on a map, regardless of what I used.

It was pure and simple; my internet connection to the server hit a snag, there was nothing I could have done to prevent it beside trying to avoid the trees (which I tried to, but there was little time yet far too much speed and trees to do so and live through it).

The worst part of it was making through the two first trees, only to see the 'dead end' of the ride. Gave me the whole stomach churning feeling for a second.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X