Ok we need to pick one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok we need to pick one

TS or Mumble... We were on Ramiel today and Cougar was leading a convoy (it was a sight to see, 4 Hmvs and a supply truck all backed by Armor) but was only talking through mumble (he wasnt in the US TS channel) and there were some in TS who could not hear the cordination (not on mumble).

Correct me if Im wrong but right now TG only recognizes TS as it official voice. So we need to decide if we are going to use TS or mumble.

I know some are going to say "well both" but earlier I played with Tech and he said he couldnt hear his own sqd due to Sqd chat, TS chat and Mumble chat which lead to a horrible horrible cordination in the Sqd.

So which one?

Re: Ok we need to pick one

I suggest a mumble month (as opposed to a single night) of August where mumble is the officially named intersquad communication tool for the TG PR server, and close the PR coordination channels for that time period (but leave the admin channel for contacting an admin). I installed it last week and have had only one other player use it in game on my team to see what it is like, so I can't even judge it. I think a month's worth of experience would give a good reference for people to make an informed decision.

At the end of the month have a simple poll to find out what people prefer and then let the admins decide from that feedback (they would not need to follow the poll results).
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

It would be usefull to have everyone in one program rather than having to run TS and Mumble at the same time.

Comment

running both is quite the bother. I prefer mumble overall so if we could make that official, it'd be nice.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, TS is still the official program for coordination at TG. So, if we have to pick one, that'd be the one until we get an official TG mumble server.

Comment

^^

---------
            |TG|DarkDancer

Comment

I think the shift to Mumble is the right answer long term, but this decision should be made by higher command as far as becoming official and locking people out of channels etc.

Comment

Well thats all my fault for not being in the correct TS channel.

TS is the aproved form of communication for TG and my not using it every game is unexceptable.

I am sorry.
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I really don't see why we need a TG official server. Our admins have admin rights on the the public one if they ask, we get more people that aren't on TS in the public channel because they don't have to register at the TG website and the server is fine. So could someone please tell me the benefits of having our own mumble server.

Cougar I don't think he is being negative towards you just saying that if everyone was in mumble like most of the people it would of worked much better.
                  |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Mumble is free and doesn't require you to register on the TG forums to use, so we're going to see a lot of pub players on it.

In future versions of mumble, the software will connect you to the server channel you are playing on and possibly to the right team channel (I believe I've seen TwistedHelix post this information previously). Mumble is the way to go for PR, pure and simple.

Admins can still be on TS for admin purposes and we can still use TS in conjunction with mumble and VOIP. However, once the game gets rolling, TS is too much spam when you've got to listen to every squad leader or squad member calling out contacts or coordinating CAS when you're nowhere near them and then you cannot hear your squad or the CO via standard VOIP. This is where Mumble shines and TS falls apart.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

If you saw Cougar leading a convoy using Mumble, don't ask why he wasn't on TS. Ask yourself why YOU weren't on mumble. The PR server has TG admins for our channels and works fine ATM. Just use the damn program.
                      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

It's this easy:

To coordinate a team it's best to use one communication tool. If the convoy was on Ventrilo instead of mumble we would have the same problem. It doesn't matter that it is choice A or choice B, the issue is people who visit the forums can easily see that TS is the voice communication method advertised on the TG forums. If they get in game and find out half the team wants to use something else instead there will be a team communication problem.

If you want to use mumble while TS is the advertised communication system you should be in TS also so you can talk to the rest of the team. Besides, mumble is still beta and some people really do have issues with it and are using TS because it is a proven release. I'm fairly certain my recent 30 second 1 FPS streaks on Fool's road are due to mumble (it only happens when I have that running) so I don't doubt other's reports of issues.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Well, what about those players who come to our server without ever visiting the forums? How would they learn about TS? We have apparently turned off the in-game advertisements for our web site and teamspeak, so I guess they can't.

The only *required* coms are in-game VOIP or in-game chat. Beyond that the admins are available via teamspeak. If players elect to use Mumble because it provides certain features they like over other software then so be it, right?

Are we suggesting that people should not use Mumble until it is "approved" by TG?

[EDIT]BTW - I've asked Apophis to set up a TG Mumble (murmur) server and he was going to try to do this several weeks ago. Apparently it hasn't happened yet, but it is right around the corner.[/EDIT]

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

We can't just 'pick' one. Because half of the people cannot be bothered to get on mumble (the mumble users view), or half cannot be bothered to get on TS (the TS users view).
                            It's annoying yes, but it's not that simple, I think.
                            People themselves choose whether they use mumble, not a whole community, well not yet at least.

sigpic

Comment

I think a step back is a good thing.

Both are great. It is like MAC vs. Microsoft.

I think a discussion with the admin community on the topic would be a good thing. Lets not get the whole forum overheated on this before we can talk about the issue in the admin forum.

T
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...