No announcement yet.

What makes good Tank/Armoured V driver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes good Tank/Armoured V driver?

To me, driving is the hardest thing to get experienced at. All you have to do, is drive to a location, let your gunner shoot things, then drive to another one. I know there is more than that, but I'm unsure. Please post your opinion on what makes a good Armoured Vehicle driver in PR. I want to know how you can call someone a 'good' driver. Because the whole job seems so simple, how can someone be good at it?

OFF TOPIC: Hooray 14! I forgot I had my birthday today.

sigpic

Re: What makes good Tank/Armoured V driver?

The driver has to know:

How fast they can go over rough terrain without flipping.
    How to get where the shooter wants to go.
    How to be hull down and still have the gunner see the target with a good range of motion.
    When to relocate because of unseen dangers like lazing.
    What a good direction to flee is.
    How long to hold for the gunner to shoot accurately even though they may be under fire.
    How fast to approach an area where there may be hostiles.
    All the differences between the vehicles if they drive more than one.
    When to leave that last man behind on a pickup so the whole vehicle and passengers don't get killed.
    When to contradict the gunner.
    What good locations for overwatch are in general.
    When to go the long way.
    When to RTB because of damage.

There's a lot more than that but that'll get you started. The gunner just needs a stable platform and a responsive driver to hit the target.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

It becomes second hand when you get good at it. I really cant list the things I do during a game, but Snoogum's list contains a few of them.

Comment

Not to stop when your gunner sees something that might be a Spandrel because it annoys people and creates a 'traffic jam'.

Comment

Driver should ALWAYS be squad leader. SL should never gun

Gunner calls a target when he see's. When a driver see's he places an attack marker and gunner can turn to fire. When operating in more than 1 vehicle corrdination to the second vehicle is important so they understand to to keep coms clear so the other driver can call out targets.

When to advance toward a known or unknown enemy location. A driver must gauge whether it is wise to advance or to stay back, not get as many kills but stay alive. Sometimes it's best to wait on the sidelines and let the infantry move in whilst you provide support.

How to identify priority targets such as see an APC, know you can't kill it but can do signifigant damage to track it whilst a com truck full of inf rolls past. Track the APC, the truck can be dealt with another time easily by infantry. The APC can inflict huge losses. So many people go for the kills rather than the priority.

How to 'run silent' hop into the .50 on the top of a tank and hit CTRL, stay low. Or into the third seat in most scout cars / APC's to kill the engine. A great method for ambushing Spandrels / infantry because your vehicle IS loud. Nothing is more scary than hearing a tank roll up close then for it to go all silent...

Ensure your gunner knows how to shoot. If not, kick them. Do not be afraid to inform them "You need to get some practise gunning. I'll need a different gunner, I don't wish to be rude but could you please leave the squad." Want to waste assets then keep um, but otherwise you're going nowhere fast.

Make sure you STAY coordinated. Type out asking people to update you with enemy movements. make sure the commander knows you exist and tell him when you engage or when you're moving.

Don't assume anything! Just because infantry has advanced the same direction comming down the same street for the past 6 times doesn't mean they're going to do it again, keep your eyes open!

Keep moving, if you find a place to fire at the enemy. It only takes 1 kill before they type up saying "Tank in D3 KP1 hiding behind rocks." before they send HAT to engage you from a flank.

Vehicles are not super-dooper-killing machines, don't go charging into a fight. Stick with your team, support your infantry as they are the backbone and will alert you to enemy locations.

Always aim to have 3 people in your squad. Yourself as SL // driver a gunner and a spotter. NEVER just go charging over a ridgeline if you know there's enemies on the opposite side, no matter how far off. have your scout do their work and provide intel before you roll in. You never know if you're rolling into 3 tank shells and the time it takes for you to crest the ridge, line them up and fire you're already down. Hell you cant even reverse due to poor engine speed in reverse.

Comment

The driver should compensate for the stupidity of the gunner.

The gunner will say "Go forward, I can't see the bunkers," and the driver should either A. go somewhere else because going forward would put them in a bad position, or B. tell the gunner to STFU because they have to take care of enemy armor before they attack the bunkers.
            Waldo II

Comment

Learn to be sneaky and when you can't be sneaky run away.
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Berlancic View Post

OFF TOPIC: Hooray 14! I forgot I had my birthday today.

Oh! By the way.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glNjsOHiBYs&feature=related[/media]

Comment

Originally posted by fullkontact View Post
                  Ensure your gunner knows how to shoot. If not, kick them. Do not be afraid to inform them "You need to get some practise gunning. I'll need a different gunner, I don't wish to be rude but could you please leave the squad." Want to waste assets then keep um, but otherwise you're going nowhere fast.
                  I don't feel that is a good way to go, to be honest. I mean, it's understandable if you want someone who knows how to gun, but kicking them because they are new...Just doesn't feel right to me...

Comment

Driver should ALWAYS be squad leader. SL should never gun.
                    That is not so important, i've been in several SQ where the SL is gunning and i didnt think it made that much of a difference.

Or you could teach them, that is what this community is about.
                    If you start kicking people because they cant shoot they will never learn.
                    How did you learn tanking? I learned through playing alot on this very server with people willing to teach me.

Comment

I think I have another tip to add myself:

High ground spots may give your gunner the best overview of an area, but you become exposed and are an easy, standing out target.
                      I know this because every time my driver goes onto a peak of a hill, no more than 5 minutes later we are dead.
                      I'm talking real high ground, like peaks of mountains, not things like high ridges.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Donrhos View Post
                        That is not so important, i've been in several SQ where the SL is gunning and i didnt think it made that much of a difference.
                        8/10 times, having the driver as SL enables him to mark targets he can see, so effectivly doubling the situation awareness of the tank. It's very "fiddly" calling out distance and compass bearings, and for the driver to be able to mark it means the Gunner can keep pointing in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlancic View Post
                          I think I have another tip to add myself:

High ground spots may give your gunner the best overview of an area, but you become exposed and are an easy, standing out target.
                          I know this because every time my driver goes onto a peak of a hill, no more than 5 minutes later we are dead.
                          I'm talking real high ground, like peaks of mountains, not things like high ridges.
                          That's why I like to point out to people who usually drive tanks up moutains is that they are not mountain goats, so climbing a mountain in them is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post
                            8/10 times, having the driver as SL enables him to mark targets he can see, so effectivly doubling the situation awareness of the tank. It's very "fiddly" calling out distance and compass bearings, and for the driver to be able to mark it means the Gunner can keep pointing in the right direction.

Yes, im am merely saying that its not vital to have the SL driving.
                            There are far more important things to consider while tanking.
                            Read Snooggums post for reference.

Comment

in my opinion and my experience if you're in an armoured vehicle without SL as driver it becomes extremely difficult to advise of a target as "345, 500 meters out mabye behind that tree. Fire a ehat round... no not THAT tree, left by 10 trees and down by 2... etc"

Can easilly be compensated with a marker.

Also, I learnt tanking by playing on a training server. I understand that we're here to help others and to encourage new players. But at the end of the day, we shouldn't sacrifice our own happiness for the sake of others. Fair enough, if you want to teach them go ahead, just be aware you may lose assets and cause the team to lose but at the end of the day it is a game.

The only time in my opinion the gunner should be SL is in an attack helo.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X