This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole-Team Convoys Don't Work

This practice has been proven to be unsuccessful time and time again. So I ask you, why do you think people still insist on doing it?

Having your entire team in one place doesn't really work. If you must convoy, do it in smaller groups of 2 squads instead of 5-6 squads + armor in one place. That is a recipe for disaster.

Re: Whole-Team Convoys Don't Work

I agree that you need to keep your spacing, clumping makes a good target for explosives.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I would have to disagrre there I have seen it work many times by just overpowering the enemy. It is difficult to do properly and succesfully but when done right it works almost all of the time. Sometimes it may be good to have one other squad stay seperate but by having most of the team together you can cover each other much better.
      |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

It does work, it's just people insist on sitting on top of each other. plus this completely ruins the fun of the insurgents. Javing 3 APCs and half a dozen Humvees just blazing away on suspected cache locations ruins it.

Comment

It all depends on the map.

I want to see this work on insurgent maps, specifically Ramiel, i have seen it work pretty well on al basrah.

Karbala is another good example of how convoy's can work.

I have also seen 2-3 squads work together on Ramiel, good foot patrols etc.

Kashan is another map that really has potential for this type. EJOD i have yet to play on .86.

"ruins the fun of the insurgents." I disagree, its the blufor's option to take their time, sure if the blufor wants to waste tickets just running and gunning for caches, that is exactly how it will be done, but playing as an insurgent has to come with the idea that patience pay off, for example the sapper kit, you can blow IED's, and u have to wait until a vehicle(s) go by.

Plus, if the blufor has the option to destroy a cache via using armor/apc's or lasing it for hydra's, who wouldn't do that option. It will save your team in cost of tickets and loss of assets.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

People do it because it's cool.

Most times I played like that on the blufor, we didn't win or the round was so boring and took so damn long that I disconnected. However, last time I played Ramiel as blufor they did and it worked pretty well. 2 Strykers + 2 or 3 Humvees + Supply truck with troops dismounting every now and then.

It was pretty nice and was one of the best rounds of Ramiel I ever played. However, US team did not stick with the convoy idea the whole time. We'd get in convoys, attack a place, vehicles would RTB and infantry would remain in the city until dead.

Personally I'd rather have a good squad, dig in the city and roam around clearing places. The whole convoy idea gets kinda boring sometimes + most times it doesnt work. Plus, ArmA is perfect for that kind of thing, so if I wanted that kind of gameplay I'd just stick to that.
            |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

I'm not talking about totally ceasing working together.

I'm talking about the whole-team convoys like we saw in the Insurgency World Series on Fallujah where the entire team was being wiped out from all sides by RPGs and PKMs sitting there mowing us down.

And on Al Basrah, one time, there was a massive convoy. They even built two long layers of wire to keep bombcars away from their vehicles. They were so entrenched that a mortar strike devastated them.

It becomes to easy to pen a major convoy in and kill them all at your leisure. Tight, full-team convoys do not work.

However, I've had a hell of a lot of success with two 5-man squads in two humvees.

People just don't seem to realize, I think, that you do NOT have to kill the insurgents. Sitting back and killing them from a distance only serves to line your KDR. You have to get in close, get dirty with them in CQB, kill the cache, and get out. Not engaging at all is the best of all.

The reason I love Humvees so much on (most) insurgency maps is that you can just drive full speed through an area, and if you get shot at, chances are a cache is there. Humvees are incredibly durable, fast, and can climb easy, not to mention being more than a match for a technical (or two).

Comment

You are right, they don't work.

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
                the reason I love Humvees so much on (most) insurgency maps is that you can just drive full speed through an area, and if you get shot at, chances are a cache is there. Humvees are incredibly durable, fast, and can climb easy, not to mention being more than a match for a technical (or two).
                This is a far better system.

Driving full speed thru a hostle area, devoid of friendly support. Rushing into things is a far better plan. Screw everyone else on the team, your squad is the only people that matter. Your ability to run jump and prone is the only way your ever gonna win on a tight city map. Twitch players rule.
                Last edited by Portable.Cougar; 07-26-2009, 01:55 AM.
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
                  The reason I love Humvees so much on (most) insurgency maps is that you can just drive full speed through an area, and if you get shot at, chances are a cache is there.
                  That sure is tactical . . .
                  [

Comment

Originally posted by Exuve View Post
                    That sure is tactical . . .
                    If a tactic doesn't work, try something new for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post

Driving full speed thru a hostle area, devoid of friendly support. Rushing into things is a far better plan. Screw everyone else on the team, your squad is the only people that matter. Your ability to run jump and prone is the only way your ever gonna win on a tight city map. Twitch players rule.
                      On Archer, myself and another 5-man squad in two humvees doing a route around the map checking for caches has been far more successful in the past than when I have tried other methods on that map.

Also on Archer, when the whole team stuck together and put up a firebase, people tended to play defensively and the whole team ended up way the hell away from where any structures were at all, let alone caches.

I can name plenty more examples than just that one if you'd like.

Comment

And since when was TG all about tactics?
                        You have to fun too.
                        So what if Star drives through a hostile area. He finds a cache. Better than sitting around on your ass to get mortared, thus not finding a cache and losing assets.

Despite the last comment, convoys are still fun. Good with mumble.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post

Cougar sarcastic ? that was something new.....

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

And since when was TG all about tactics?
                            That meant to be a joke?? You can't just say convoys don't work and expect everyone to accept that, it all depends on situation, our convoys in the IWS worked fine.

Comment

Slow, methodical, deliberate with overwhelming force to minimize the loss of friendly lives and assets seems pretty realistic to me.

Or you could be the guy stuck in the squad by themselves in hostile territory, surrounded, losing tickets for the team.

To each his own.

The main weapon on the Blufor side in insurgency is *time*. They have 4 hours of it. The insurgents only have 12 caches.

Keep your losses at a minimum and keep the initiative through planning and tactics. If your team has a decided advantage in assets and firepower, use them to your advantage properly. Wasting them through zerg tactics is detrimental to the team and pure stupidity.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X