Be Helpful Instead Of Kicking.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Helpful Instead Of Kicking.

New people, they can be annoying when you are attempting to complete your mission, because you have to teach them along the way, which distracts you. However, people will always need help at some point in time.

I have seen enough of TG Squad leaders kicking people because they make a mistake, for the fact they don't actually know how to do it. To be honest, just stop, if you don't want to help them just don't SL. New people are always coming to PR, and they will always require assistance, whether they read the manual or not.
    Sometimes if those SLs aren't kicking them, they're performing a worse act:
    "Dude, OMG, you don't know how to get a crewman?"
    Excellent. To be frank, you are being an ass if you say something like that. You are making the poor new fellow feel even worse, and you're not helping him. You're just stating the obvious, which helps no one.

When you either kick, or just state the obvious, this is what's happening:

1. The person is not learning, thus they could come back to your squad another day and the same situation will come up again. People need to learn to be able to do things, and they need help to learn. No help means harder or no learning.
    2. You are setting a bad example for TG. By not helping people the person may mention to their friends, "Aw, don't go to TG, they're stuck up and they just kick you for doing nothing."
    3. You are giving yourself bad reputation. People will not want to join your squad if you're going to kick them for the smallest mistake.

Just give people a chance and help when needed. I'm not saying that doing this is wrong, but really, that does not mean it's a good thing to do either. Be helpful and make a good impression on TG for new players. We are a tactical community but also a mature one. Being helpful is part of being mature, so let's live up to that.
    Also, if someone is breaking a rule, tell them what they're doing wrong and give them some time to 'redeem' themselves, if you will.
    E.g. "Player X you are 1 manning, can you return that tank to base? Because it's breaking the rules and you're not going to be able to operate without another person in your tank. If you continue to 1 mann I'm going to kick you from the squad."
    Or something similar to that.
    Cheers.

sigpic

Re: Be Helpful Instead Of Kicking.

Most of the kicking I've seen is because of:

1) Lack of maturity in conjunction with doing something stupid. => Flips an important vehicle and all you hear is giggling.

2)Lack of communication in conjunction with doing something stupid. =>Takes a random kit and runs off and does not respond to VOIP.

Both of these seem to be credible reasons to me. The former is the most annoying, but honestly, this is a game on the internet. For people that know nothing of TG this is probably their default state. Refer them to the forums before kick. The latter is a problem where we assume they can hear VOIP or know English. If you have time you need to type in squad to figure out if this is the case. If there is no chat response, (or you just don't have time to deal) type out why you're kicking them before you do. "If you can't communicate, we can't work together." Then kick. Even if they don't feel comfortable typing in English, they might know enough to get the gist.
    |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
    sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
    I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

Yes always help out new players, But...

Just as we are making an effort to help them, they should make an effort too, by reading the manual.

If someone joins my sqd, hasnt read the manual and wants me to explain everything to him, because he is to lazy to read the manual, well...ill will kick him, and tell him to read it first

Comment

I'm just saying don't kick without telling them anything which they can't learn from. Whether this contradicts my thread post. Telling them to read the manual works, because it tells them something that can help them learn.

Players who are immature are a different story.

sigpic

Comment

if you don't want to help them just don't SL
          So your saying instead of teaching them you should quit your own squad? Interesting.....last time i checked a squad leader was allowed to pick who he or she (hah....she....only ever met 1 female bf2 player....shame really) has in their squad.
          I know that helping people out is nice to do but sometimes your actually trying to win and your squad is being pushed 110% for this goal. Having to lead someone around by the hand can detach your concentration. As i normally say to people who post questions in global or team chat "Its in the manual".
          Nihility

Comment

No I mean if you're going to be an ass to them.

At least if you don't help them by telling them how to do something (get a crewman to drive a tank for example). Just tell them to read the manual and that you can't have someone of such experience in your squad.

If you can't help them to a better extent, at least be nice enough to tell them why you kick them. This adds to the thread post.

Remember I'm not telling you to do this, I'm just saying it'll be for the better. Do whatever you want, just be wary that they have consequences.

sigpic

Comment

Berlancic, I completely agree with you. When I first started playing PR and playing on TG there were some great squad leaders who taught me the ropes. When I SL I make it my aim to be strict but fair. I kick from my squad only if a set of conditions are met.

1. No voip, and unresponsive to squad chat, not sticking with the squad (if there is a language barrier I try my hardest to resolve it).
              2. Disobeying direct SL orders on more then one occasion on purpose (i.e. grabbing that 1337 sn1p0r kit).
              3. Breaking of TG server rules (i.e. team switching on an insurgency map and telling my squad where the undiscovered cache is [grr...]).

Are there special circumstances sometimes? Of course, but I find I need to balance that out and be as fair as possible. I am a teacher, so even if by teaching a squaddie something that doesn't effect me in the near term, it might just save another SL grief in the future.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. " - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jevski View Post
                Just as we are making an effort to help them, they should make an effort too, by reading the manual.
                Could have not said it better.

I have no problem helping people that are new, but when it start to become a TGU class, - thats when its to much.I usally kick that person, but not before I give him the tip to read the manual that comes with the installtion or try to get a spot in a TGU class that are posted on our forum.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

I learned the game by playing and only read the manual 3 versions after I started. I definitely agree that you should help instead of simply kicking, heck, they may have even read the manual and forgotten something (since people usually learn by doing instead of reading).

Most often I will keep the new players in the basic infantry positions like rifleman because any FPS gamer can do that. Then when times get slow (and they do) I show em a little and encourage them to read the manual. Just kicking because they don't know how to get a kit (which takes all of 3 seconds to explain) is just going to make them think you are an ass. I sure would.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

My rule is pretty much, ask them if they have read the manual, if they haven't, ask them politely to read it then try their hand at a game. Other than that, i'm always happy to help them if they are willing to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      1) Lack of maturity in conjunction with doing something stupid. => Flips an important vehicle and all you hear is giggling.
                      I am so horribly guilty of this, that it's just common for not letting me drive a vehicle when there is a slight chance for any off-road driving... I really do terrify people when they are in my vehicle on Fools Road, or something like that.

Originally posted by TechMaster21 View Post
                      My rule is pretty much, ask them if they have read the manual, if they haven't, ask them politely to read it then try their hand at a game. Other than that, i'm always happy to help them if they are willing to learn.
                      I didn't read the manual when I first started playing. I just hoped straight onto the TG server. Of course it was on Al Basrah and I had no idea what that grenade was doing in a tin can...

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                        last time i checked a squad leader was allowed to pick who he or she (hah....she....only ever met 1 female bf2 player....shame really) has in their squad.
                        Having to lead someone around by the hand can detach your concentration. As i normally say to people who post questions in global or team chat "Its in the manual".

Heres my problem and .2 cents with the above statements. I cant stand it when I see a 2 or 3 man locked Sqd. We run an open, public server and so locking a sqd seems to me that your only willing to play with those who you choose to play with, and in contrast, is that not attempting to make it a private server?

Now I agree there are times, especially with Tanks or Helos (the apache) certian people want to have a certian gunner or driver or co pilot but really, how is that allowing you to find possibly a better person to drive or fly with? Locking a Sqd I see no reasoning behind, at all.

And replying to a person who asks a valid (VALID IS THE KEY WORD) question with "Its in the manual" does nothing. To be honest, Ive never read the entire manual and correct me if Im wrong but turning on the new radios in the Humvees isnt in the manual is it? Its not a huge thing but if were sitting around at Main doing nothing and someone asks, hell guys, show them.

All in all I think Bel is right, we whould be a bit more open to the new kids. We do want more good, mature players joining us right?!?

And dont even get me started on Sqd Ldrs kicking or being an ARSEHAT to people, its far worse than I think anyone realizes.

Comment

I didn't read the manual when I first started playing PR, so I agree to not just immediately kick a new guy b/c he doesn't know what he's doing. Now if said new guy is just gonna start doing vanilla BF2 crap (i.e. trying to grenade spam/rush into an area and not obey SL orders at all) then that warrants a kick imo.

Comment

Crombo: Like you said, people lock the squads when they do certain things that only need x people to complete and not a full squad. Locking those squads helps/forces other players to join other squads, like infantry. And if you keep your squad open, the people that will join will most of the times just take a kit and lonewolf and not lissen to you (my experience). Other from that, sometime people keep their squad locked for other reason like: One guy disconnected, but he notifed the squadleader that he is coming back or if the squadleader is saving a spot for somebody that he wants to play with - he will lock it, so a spot will be ready, if somebody leaves.

But I agree that people should try play more with people that they dont know. I think the "I want to play with my friends" attitude is one of the reasons why the teams sometimes get uneven, tag or no tag. Its like everything else in life; if you keep doing the same thing, you wont experience anything new, whether its good or bad experience.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

I remember when I first installed this mod back in .3 or .4 days, and played my first game of PR, on this very server. I had no idea what TG was, it was a populated server with a sub 100 ping and that was all I cared about. I logged on, joined a squad and was totally overwhelmed. My SL was barking orders and I had no idea what was going on. My SL asked me what my problem was that I wasn't following orders, and I responded "I'm sorry, I'm new, first time playing this mod, explain to me what you need, and I'll do my best to do it." My SL proceeded to respond, and I remember this distinctly because it's what drew me to this community in the first place, " You said the magic words sir, follow me and I'll help you learn how to properly play this game", and he did. Stuff like that helps grow the community, and Root was the one who said that to me, and most people thought that guy was one of the biggest pricks around whereas responses like most of the ones in this thread are signs that this community is nothing like what it was a few years back and really needs a prick like Root again to bring this community back to it's (pardon the pun) roots. Everyone's to 1337 now to be bothered showing a new player the ropes, that new player might drag down your score and make your epeen shrink by an inch or two.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X