Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Walls used to barricade

First thing, sorry if this has been mentioned, couldn't find on search

One thing I came to realise recently is the use of Foxholes and Tank Traps/Wire to barricade yourslef onto a flag radius. It happsn on a few maps now. 2 people digging at the entrance constantly can stop even C4 from taking down your wall.

I personally think this is an exploit of game mechanics, I'll admit it happened once in a squad I was in on barricuda. It was quite funny but it became very quickly unfunny and rather lame. I can imagine the Americans were quite peeved too.

what I would like to see is what the Admins view on this is, personally I don't think it should be allowed and I believe some others may feel the same way.

Post your views on the whole thing
    Yes
    48.65%
    No
    16.22%
    I don't care
    35.14%

Re: Dirt Walls used to barricade

Don't care. Not a big deal and it can be solved quite easily since the destruction of the barricade while the person is digging can cause them damage.

In fact, not even a problem in my opinion.

Plus, it's not worth adding yet another rule into the book for the admins to enforce.

| |

Comment

If you can't get through the wall then they are trapped behind the wall. I can't think of a single flag you can't cap from outside with 2x the people hiding inside. If they have enough of their team hiding inside that you can't take the flag you will have plenty of options to kill their players that remain outside for tickets.

Plus, you just need an engineer with a few c4 packs to blow it all up at once. No big deal.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I've assulted a bunker with wire up a lot.

C-4 will not clear the wire more offten than not.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Snooggums, even with 3 C4's placed and trying to detonate it only takes it to foundations and they continue to build.
          Last edited by fullkontact; 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM. Reason: X4 doesn't exist, C4 is better :P

Comment

I have not used this tactic myself, but i have been part of a squad that has done it twice, and have tried to get past one as a squadleader once.

On the two occasions that we used it it was in the kashan bunker to block access from the top stairs and bathroom (they could stil get in the front but it formed a bottleneck). I have no problems with using the wall in this style. It is somewhat realistic forcing enemies to use a path on which you have prepared an ambush or concentrated defence. (though it is not realistic that the wall is indestructible). Using it in this manner is acceptable imo, as it is still possible for an well coordinated enemy to break in using smoke screens or other methods.

However, on the occasion i was facing an enemy wall it was to completely seal themselves inside the mine complex on qwai river. They stayed in there for 2:30 (virtually the entire game). We used thermite, c4, then coordinated thermite and c4. eventually we got an apc to shell the wall but it wouldn't die. Eventually, during a coordinated thermite and apc attack my game actually crashed because it couldnt handle all the thermite.
            This use of the wall to completely seal yourself is not acceptable imo. It just isn't realistic and is potentially very boring for both sides and frustrating for those trying to destroy it.

I voted yes to this poll at the beginning to allow people to build walls to partially defend an area, but have changed my mind due to the fact that i might be very difficult for people, particulalry admins that arent able to see the wall themselves, to determine whether it is completely sealed or not. for this reason i think that the practice should be banned alltogether to prevent any ambiguity.
            |TG| (:djames-d)

Comment

Originally posted by fullkontact View Post
              Snooggums, even with 3 C4's placed and trying to detonate it only takes it to foundations and they continue to build.
              If 3 c4s and some incendiary grenades cannot clear it out (haven't seen that before) it should be considered an exploit and the poll doesn't matter.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

If you cant find a way to beat guys who have barricaded themselves in, then youre not trying hard enough. First, I cant see any scenario where anyone is going to be able to drop enough dirt walls or wire to encircle an entire flag cap area, even one thats 50m in radius (which, IIRC, is the smallest radius in the game). So you CAN get in radius. This means, that even if you cant kill them, you can still take the flag right out from under them by getting more people than they have on the flag. Then your team moves on to the next flag, which, by the way, their team will have fewer people defending because they barricaded themselves in on the flag you just capped.

Comment

Wait a second here. Are people seriously suggesting that we now make shoveling assets and deploying assets something that the admins have to keep an eye on? Essentially this is the same as saying "Hey admins! We can't kill these guys very easily, can you help us out please?"

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

No dispo, what I'm saying is "hey Admins, these people are abusing a limitation of the game engine can we do something about it."

otherwise Dispo, going by that logic you just propsed. Bunny Hopping, it makes it harder to kill people, it's not realistic and it subtracts from gameplay. They're both 1 and the same.

Comment

Sounds lame to me.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                        If you cant find a way to beat guys who have barricaded themselves in, then youre not trying hard enough. First, I cant see any scenario where anyone is going to be able to drop enough dirt walls or wire to encircle an entire flag cap area, even one thats 50m in radius (which, IIRC, is the smallest radius in the game). So you CAN get in radius. This means, that even if you cant kill them, you can still take the flag right out from under them by getting more people than they have on the flag. Then your team moves on to the next flag, which, by the way, their team will have fewer people defending because they barricaded themselves in on the flag you just capped.
                        even if you have capped out the flag from under them you still have to keep at least six people back in the radius to stop them capping it right out from under you. This cancels out any advantage that you might have with less people defending the next flag.
                        |TG| (:djames-d)

Comment

I agree with Ferris. Where there is a will, there is a way. Besides once capped the enemy have to deploy twice as many troops, half of them stuck in a hole doing nothing but body count. You have the advantage of movement and flexibility with your team.

Makes it more interesting as an obsticle to overcome, in anycase. Like Kashan it makes for a new thing to do to assualt and get around.

If you don't like to do it, don't do it. And keep the edge to your favour by troop deployment and squad teamwork. If you have to overcome an obsticle, the same last sentance applies. Wierdly, this goes for defending but I'd rather flexibility and squad/team work than a reliance on some barrier. Just how my head works, I guess, as overall I'd rather the former tempo.

In short, I don't mind it.

Comment

Originally posted by fullkontact View Post
                            No dispo, what I'm saying is "hey Admins, these people are abusing a limitation of the game engine can we do something about it."

otherwise Dispo, going by that logic you just propsed. Bunny Hopping, it makes it harder to kill people, it's not realistic and it subtracts from gameplay. They're both 1 and the same.
                            But I didn't really propose any logic, I'm just asking a question.

What about a cache in Korengal that is located in a cave with only one entrance? Is that exploiting the map design if it is impossible to root out the defenders and get the cache? To me it is the same thing as this. Certainly with enough of a coordinated effort players can overcome the obstacles without having to get the admins to let them in.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

I understand, if there's a way to get in I'm fine. On Kashan you can go another way through the main door.
                              However on several maps you can completely seal yourself in with just 2 or 3 Tank traps

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X