Insurgency is awesome: How to have fun like I do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurgency is awesome: How to have fun like I do

Insurgency is my favorite game mode for PR due to it's asymmetrical balance and variety of objective placement with intel collection. The side that plays to it's strengths is the one that wins and the moments of surprise and rewards of clever action make the mode very entertaining for me. Unfortunately there are a lot of players who have discounted the game mode because they don't play it correctly and get frustrated, or do not have the patience for the slower play.

*When I state correctly I do mean with the intent of the Devs as presented in the PR forums. This guide expands on the overall intent to give specific examples of Insurgent style gameplay.

The following applies to both Insurgent teams, Taliban share some similarities but their maps are more widely accepted by TG players since they play closer to a regular army.

Insurgency is primarily an offense vs defense gameplay, where BluFor is the offense (going after caches) and Insurgents are the defense.

For BluFor the ideal gameplay is a slow assault on the insurgents gathering intel until they discover a cache. At that point they can focus their assault on that one area of the map. BluFor can also have squads that operate independently although they are only effective if they are sneaky and able to remove insurgent spawns as once discovered the insurgents can generally swarm the single squad easily. BluFor vehicles do best to stay away from enemies and cover an area, reducing the chances of being with with an RPG, RPK grenade, mine or IED which the insurgents have plenty of access to. BluFor should also defend their bases on the TG server, a single 50cal humvee can stop most bomb cars and a simple vehicle barracade can stop Big Red from entering the base and killing idle vehicles worth more points. Since BluFor plays until they run out of points being careful is the best approach.

Best BluFor approach:
    • Be patient, there's no bleed so there's no need to beat the clock until the last 30 minutes.
    • Engage from a distance until intel shows you where a cache is located.
    • Defend main.
    • Don't kill civilians as it slows down the intel gathering.
    • Use choppers sparingly.
    • Revive as much as possible, you've got 5 minutes to do so.
    • Don't ever request AA kits.
    • Don't ever take HAT kits out of main, but they can be used inside of main for base defense from bomb cars.
    • Move as a squad.

For the insurgents the best defense is a careful offense. Since dying doesn't lose tickets players are eager to run into enemy fire on a regular basis. The timing of doing so is what matters though, if both caches are undiscovered don't engange the enemy unless necessary. If both caches are shown feel free to die as much as you want beause their intel gets capped out and it does not contribute to the next one. Insurgents can win two ways, reducing the BluFor tickets or running out the clock, as boring as that may seem. Much like a looooong round of Counter-Strike, patiently waiting out the enemy can cause them to rush in unorganized and the clock is on the insurgent's side.

Best insurgent approach:
    • Be patient, you can win on time if all else fails.
    • Have at least 3 Hideouts placed at any given time for spawning, and do not place them right next to a cache.
    • Sticking together as a squad is more effective than everyone lonewolfing, just as with regular forces.
    • Don't engage when there are no discovered caches, report enemy movements instead and only engage if you will win an ambush.
    • Don't engage at range, if BluFor is approaching from a distance hide and wait for them to get closer
    • Don't fire or engage from the cache, engage from somewhere a grid or so away.
    • Misdirect: Infantry assaulting from a Hideout may lead the enemy to believe it is a cache, costing them precious tickets to assault.
    • Know the ROE on collaborators, remember that BluFor does not get a real penalty from killing you
    • If possible knife the enemy, no revive = 1 assured ticket.
    • IEDs and mines can be reloaded from a cache before being used, it's better to place 6 IEDs around an area to insure a vehicle kill than to place one and a mine and really hope he goes where you want.
    • Don't place grenade traps around the cache, you will mainly kill friendlies and alert the enemy to the cache since the person who trips it will probably be revived. Instead place them in the buildings around the cache in positions your team is not likely to go but a cache could be hiding.
    • Technicals are very effective with three insurgents, they can mow down light vehicles and choppers and can cover a large area. Although they respawn quickly they should be used cautiously until they run out of ammo at which point they should be destroyed to respawn.
    • Bomb cars/Big Red are weapons of opportunity and spawn slowly. They should be used when they will be effective such as against a distracted APC or when an undefended main has spawned vehicles.
    • Enemy medic, AutoRifle and sniper kits can really up your offensive power, but don't get ahead of your squadmates. Distance weapons aren't always helpful since one insurgent firing at range can be picked off by basic BluFor riflemen that aren't being shot and the kill will most likely be revived once you are down and your squadmates are ineffective at range.
    • Moltovs are for herding the enemy where you want them to go or denying them access somewhere for a few seconds while you set up, they are not for killing.
    • If you died going one way and they are not pressing on a cache feel free to go the long way around and shoot them in the back.
    • Work as a team, just like you would as a regular army. When the whole team works together they are just as effective, and sometimes even more so.
    • K : D ratios don't matter!
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Insurgency is awesome: How to have fun like I do

Couldn't agree more ^^^^

I'd +rep for this post but, alas, I cannot

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Got it for you!

+1

Comment

Great thread! I myself love insurgency

Comment

One I missed:

RKGs are shape charged, and the charge comes out the end of the larger tube, so if the handle strikes the target the charge goes away from the vehicle. Watch how the grenade rotates when thrown to time how far to throw from (I think it's about 15m but not sure). One RKG will kill a humvee so they do more damage than a RPG when they hit the right direction.

This also makes them useless against infantry.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

You forgot as insurgent grab *any* US kit you can get your hands on...they have bandages which the bulk of yours do not. Even if it doesn't have optics the sound of you firing is no longer a direct giveaway of your location as opposed to the sound of an AK or sks.

As BluFor I generally tell my guys to drop their bandages and rely on the medic to heal. This makes it more likely that the guy who just shot you will bleed out rather than giving aid to the enemy.

Comment

Very good points LeadMagnet, unfortunately I have to spread some rep around before giving it to you again :D
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

good points guys.... lots of stuff that i am going to be using from now on!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Not Spawning at undiscovered caches are also key when playing as an insurgent. Also if you must or if you have or other members of your squad/team have spawned at either a known or unknown cache do not fire from the cache, linger nearby or be in the general vicinity of the cache with a RPG or Al Quid exposed, same goes for the PKM (except on Taliban maps), an RPG sticks out, and will alert spotters to your location.

If there is an undiscovered cache close to your main the best and safest bet is to spawn at the main, or at another spawn point, as pointed out in Snooggums original post.

Being patient is essential, especially if Blufor is moving in convoys and not running through the streets.

Also if you are a sapper and are laying down mines/ieds, make sure when you are reloading that you keep clicking on the mine button, when your mine is reloaded you will have reloaded your IED, trust me, I have made the mistake of clicking on the IED button when reloading and have accidently blown up my own cache with a IED that was placed during this process.

Also when caches are near streets/against walls do not place ieds on the same side below the cache building or against the wall on the opposite side of the wall where the cache is, when you blow your ied you will destroy the cache.

On the insurgent side, not sure if it is different for the blufor - Area attacks are available every half hour. When going CO for the round or for every half hour try and call in a area attack when it is first available and when it has warmed up the 2nd or 3rd time. As we all know things can happen or turn for the worse between a half hour or so, using the area attack when its available right away the first time it loads up is crucial and can also make it easier for you to keep track of when it will be available again.l
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                    One I missed:

RKGs are shape charged, and the charge comes out the end of the larger tube, so if the handle strikes the target the charge goes away from the vehicle. Watch how the grenade rotates when thrown to time how far to throw from (I think it's about 15m but not sure). One RKG will kill a humvee so they do more damage than a RPG when they hit the right direction.

This also makes them useless against infantry.
                    I have to disagree with RKGs being useless against infantry. My trick is to use them as "instant grenades" in CQB environments, since cooking grenades doesn't work in BF2/PR. I'll use a scenario to illustrate:

Let's say you round a corner and see an BLUFOR guy walking right towards you. His instinct, like most, is to go prone right away. Instead of returning fire, you go back around the corner quickly and pull the pin on your RKG. Pop out from the corner again, throw it at him, and pull back into cover. If the RKG lands near your target, he is dead instantly and you've just got yourself a BLUFOR kit.

I'm also skeptical about the whole handle rotating in mid air = less damage thing, because in my experience every direct hit with an RKG on a HMMWV/Truck always results in it's instant catching of fire or explosion. However, I'll have to take your word for it until I try it myself.

| |

Comment

If thrown at the front of a logi truck/transport or HMMVW or land rover from my experience will automatically destroy it. I have seen others who have had better results throwing the RKG at a logi truck/transport truck from the side. I think it also depends at the rate of speed the vehicle is going or if it has stopped.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

When leading an Insurgent squad, use the cell leader kit only when absolutely necessary. Pick up another kit when you're done ; you'll be giving more intel if you're killed as a cell leader.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
                          I'm also skeptical about the whole handle rotating in mid air = less damage thing, because in my experience every direct hit with an RKG on a HMMWV/Truck always results in it's instant catching of fire or explosion. However, I'll have to take your word for it until I try it myself.
                          It is per one of the Devs from the main PR forums, sorry I'm too lazy to quote. My effectiveness with these grenades went from 50% kills on humvees to 100% once I got the distance down.

Originally posted by Dick Blonov
                          When leading an Insurgent squad, use the cell leader kit only when absolutely necessary. Pick up another kit when you're done ; you'll be giving more intel if you're killed as a cell leader.
                          No longer, with .86 they got rid of that stupid handicap, officers are worth 1 point now. I think that misconception is why there are so few hideouts built since people are afraid to take the officer kit or the collaborator kit since the respawn time is so jacked up.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                            No longer, with .86 they got rid of that stupid handicap, officers are worth 1 point now.
                            Nice! I missed that one :)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

When you kill a peacekeeper his buddies have a nasty habit of coming to revive him. Fix this by throwing something mean on him, whether it be a coke bottle full of burning or a soup can filled with loud shinyness.
                              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X