Commanding Tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commanding Tips?

Short wall of text, feel free to skip to the next bold/underlined sentence to get to the gist of the post.

Well, I'll be recieving my Macbook Pro 15" laptop on the 27th this month. I don't know how well it will run PR, but I think it should run, for the most part, equal to or better than my desktop back home. I don't know how much the mobile GPUs will be affected (there's both a mobo integrated 9400M, and a discrete 9600M GT in the MbP 15" that I am recieving)...

But, besides this fact, I assume that I will be, for the most part, busy with school which starts on the 31st. When I get the laptop, I will be probably be doing a lot of things like trying to get a Windows OS in bootcamp, so I can play PR, and then stress testing it a bit to see how well it runs. Between 27th-31st, I will likely be doing the above, and if I have time, I will probably play a lot of infantry/SL to get back into the game and relax.

After that time, I would like to start taking up commanding for pretty much any round I play (don't know how long this will last, but I would like to try a month of straight commanding and see how I feel about it). So, I'd like to ask for any tips whether they be on squad management, contact management, communication, etc. for being commander. I may play a lot of 'idle commanding' wherein I am mainly there for the relaying of info/contact markers, but I would like to take those kinds of times to learn about how people really play out the game, and how I could help them. (And, of course, if I'm not doing too much coordinating and someone wants to put a plan to action, then I would let them command.)

Basically, I'm just looking for any tips you all have for commanding.

Some things I will likely begin doing actively is ensuring that squad layouts make sense for the mission (IE, making sure no random snipers in an infantry squad where they are not needed), and grounding certain assets that are not needed during play (IE, 2 of 4 choppers on Barracuda/Muttrah don't need to be used up, 1 of the Kashan transport choppers, etc etc) without being too restricting, of course.

Do you have any tips to add? Anything you disagree with? Post them, so that I can help be an effective CO for the teams when needed.

Re: Commanding Tips?

I could write you a book, but hopefully these key things will help the learning process. These are what I call "most important"... DISCLAIMER: The following is my opinion. Im not an expert, however using this guide works for me and has satisfied my commanding abilities time and time again. Do as you must.

ALWAYS TAKE SUGGESTIONS.

Communication
    -Follow CO-SL comms discipline. "Squad #, Command" *wait for response*.

-Refrain from having conversations with squad leaders. Say what you need to say quickly, clearly, and accuratly.

-Dont be afriad to ask for clarification or confirmation.

-Don't assume you are being ignored if an SL dosnt respond in a timely manner. They might be engaging/being engaged/etc.. Try to raise them again a min later. Typing a "Squad 3, contact CO at your convience" never hurts either.

-Use extreme self-control with the default "V" (all squads) key. Remap the assignment to a key far away from your normal voice keys if you have to. This should only be used in special circumstances: advising all SLs to hold traffic if two many units are talking at once, saying a quick "Unit with traffic for CO say again" if you heard a voice but didnt catch who it came from, etc... team-wide important things. Please for the love of all that is sacred do not spend 1/3 of the briefing and the first two mins of actual gameplay telling 9 SLs your plan of action and what you want to do step by step. **See below.

Markers
    -Try to keep all markers updated.

-Request updates by voice and by chat if needed.

Timer
    I go a little extreme with this one I admit, but it does help.

-Especially for maps where there is a low number or a single asset on the team / opposing team....keep up with the time it was destroyed so you can let friendly forces know when they are respawning. The timer is visible to you at all times when in the command screen. Use it to your advantage. It helps alot!

-Definantly note time of area attack deployment. No more responding to a JDAM request with "No area attack, not sure when ill have it". Your team can function better knowing that an area attack will be availible in 19min. Also works for hostile area attack. Forces can execute objectives with a peace of mind that they cant be arty'd for another 30min. *All hypothetical times obviously, you get the point.

Grounding Assets
    Mainly used for aircraft but remember this dosnt apply only to them..

-Assets are expensive and they add up. Just because you ground a unit, this dosnt mean you doubt their abilities or intent. Accidents can happen at any time and any good pilot should understand. Sometimes instead of a grounding, you might be better off restricting airspace. Maybe requiring pilots to request permission to enter a certain airspace grid around a known hostile threat...

-Almost a direct contridiction to the above point but I will say it.... even if tickets are low and AA is present, dont rule letting an asset fly if they are needed. Several times ive grounded transport helo's but let CAS operate even with only 20tickets remaining...and its won the round. You have to bring this into consideration too.

**Im glad you mentioned "Idle Commanding". There are two ways to command:
    Active-Ordering every single action from your entire team from start to finish. This requires you to know and fully trust your SLs AND trust that their members will do exactly as ordered every single time without hesitating. It also requires you to have beforehand knowledge of every single role from pilots down to the dedicated build squad (if you have one). IMO, the only way thats going to happen and flow smoothly is during a well organzied scrim or event such as IWS.
    Passive-Supervising the mission...let the SL's perform their duties as they see fit but stepping in and giving orders when needed. Here at TG we have a surplus of excellent leaders, communicators, and shooters. Depending on who's squadleading, most of the time I have no problem with leaving attack/defend/secure orders up to the SL because I trust that their judgement is equal to or exceedes my own. It gives me more time to concentrate on the bigger picture and fufill my role. Hence why I always perform as a passive CO. I cannot tell you the number of times ive watched a 12-15min sweep of Quai from both sides without ever giving a single order. I have more fun sitting in the CP watching the action unfold with my assistance then actually killing soldiers. Its just how I am.

Hope that helps, Enjoy.
    Last edited by Slayer816; 08-17-2009, 09:00 AM.
    |TG-31st|Slayer816

A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer816 View Post
      -Use extreme self-control with the default "B" (all squads) key. Remap the assignment to a key far away from your normal voice keys if you have to. This should only be used in special circumstances [...] do not spend 1/3 of the briefing and the first two mins of actual gameplay telling 9 SLs your plan of action and what you want to do step by step.
      Just wanted to clear this up for anyone who is reading and doesn't know better; the key he is referring to is actually defaulted to "V", not "B". If you have changed this key, it is, of course, different.

As for everything else, good tips. I'd like to start off as a passive commander, but I would like to try some rounds eventually where I will actively command through most of the game. I just don't want to be doing so before I know enough about how certain squads tend to act, and of course I want to make sure I'm not being overbearing or micromanaging squads while getting the job done.

Questions for anyone that knows:
      Can I use the default "B" squad chat (that speaks to the selected squad) as commander to talk to multiple selected squads?
      Can you actually use squad chat in the command screen to type to a squad? I always found it weird that it was there.

Comment

B will work for all squads you have selected

I don't know about the chat thing. I've always wondered too.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Don't take any crap. Any one gives you anything remind them of their subordinate rank in the chain of command.

1. Have a plan
          2. Have a backup plan
          3. Know the weaknesses and strengths of team/faction (e.g. insurgents are weak at long range fights, but in CQC they can be masters)

And others which others have mentioned, which I did not know in the first place.

Some other things, like quick plan development and new plans when things go down the toilet, come with experience, or having it naturally, I think. Enough practice does work.

That's a good thing to do: act passively at first. Best solution is to be eased into something, not immediately doing it.

sigpic

Comment

Press ctrl to select multiple squads.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
              Just wanted to clear this up for anyone who is reading and doesn't know better; the key he is referring to is actually defaulted to "V", not "B". If you have changed this key, it is, of course, different.
              Thanks, fixed. I has half asleep when I posted.

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
              As for everything else, good tips. I'd like to start off as a passive commander, but I would like to try some rounds eventually where I will actively command through most of the game. I just don't want to be doing so before I know enough about how certain squads tend to act, and of course I want to make sure I'm not being overbearing or micromanaging squads while getting the job done.
              Oh I wasnt saying never do it, its just easier to me and I get more done being a guide and a communicator if theres people around I trust; which is mostly always....hence instead of 9 squads to command every move...I can worry about 3 SLs ive never seen before while the other 6 do their own thing.

I was refeering to a total organized plan of attack for every SL on the server every single round. Veterans and regulars are probobly already in their squad ready to execute their mission before you ever get in the CP. And the majority of the time they are quite good at whatever theyre about to do. Changing that takes time off the clock, so IMO...its better to let SLs that I know do their own thing while I look for people that either dont know what they're doing or arnt doing anything and direct them.

Dont forget about them: Adivise possible hostile contact with direction and approx distance, health status on their vehicles, friendly forces approaching their area, etc... Be their surveillance
              |TG-31st|Slayer816

A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

| |

Comment

Tell your squadleaders to relay their status to you and statuschange. Status can be

-IDLE (squad does not have orders)
                -Attacking (squad is moving torwards and objective)
                -Defending (squad is holding a location)
                -Contact (Squad made enemy contact, tangos are unaware of the squad or are not engaging it yet.)
                -Under fire (Squad has come under fire from the enemy, the enemy has the initiative)
                -engaging (Squad is engaging an enemy squad and has the initiative.

Assign assets to dedicated squads. Most of your armor should move toegether to engage enemy armor. A single piece of armor that can support your squad without threat from enemy armor is plenty.

Make sure they report contacts to you. If a squad can not execute an order because it is under fire and you have been not informed of enemy sightings or a status change consider it a disregard of your orders.

Be realistic on what you order a squad to do. If you have reason to believe that a sizeable force is holding an objective Rally the number of squads and assets you think necessary, set up a firebase and have them move in toegether.

Work with what you have. If you realize the the CAS pilots are no good do not rely on them. Look for alternatives, like bringing supplies to your squad, so they can equip and reload things like HAT to make up for the lack of CAS. But you should make sure anyway supplies arent only avaiable to build, but closer to the objective to equip whatever is needed as well.

Be open for suggestions. If a squad finds itself understrentgh try to find an IDLE squad or a situation where for example 3 squads are holding an area which is under attack by only one squad, to reinforce the under strentgh squad.

Take a good look at the map. Sometimes the direct approach isnt necessarily the best way. On Jabal for example instead of holding east beach itself you can try to set up further north at the village where the crossroads are and block them off eventually ambushing enemy armor. From the attacking force can clear bridge and proceed to dam. Oftentimes that is easier than having your troops at west beach fighting an uphill battle.

Comment

Tai's top tips:

1. Honk furiously like a goose.
                  2. Always lead from the front pistol out. You are the vanguard and you team will love you forever.
                  3. Get someone in a chopper to parachute drop you onto enemy positions so you can create merry hell, thus decreasing the enemy teams' morale exponentially, and sending them packing in much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Extra kudos can be applied to your teams' morale if you take out those moving AA thingies. Tanks and APCs are too easy so just run around these first with a smoke grenade to give them a fighting chance but showing your contempt for hiding in something steel with a big bad 1337 cannon.
                  4. Never use a pilot kit for 3, only big girls blouses do that and that's not how we do it round here. The trick is to get some pilot willing to do a bit of low level flying at about 100 metres, just enough time to whip the pistol out for some noobing.
                  5. Have backup speeches from Winston Churchill stuck to your computer screen for all occasions. If your SL mutes you, honk like a goose via teamchat and order all SL's to do the same.
                  6. Only go into the command post to see if they sell ice-cream. It has no real value after that so send the bugger to hell with an arty strike on it (must wait 30 mins or something for it to load up - them gunners are a poor lazy lot).
                  7. Play some rounds of ****head with the gunners to see how many cigs and mags you can fleece off them before they realise you got half a pack stuck down your trouser legs.
                  8. Never ever follow a commander if you see his name is Taip3n unless you're into waking up randomly in Berlin with a pair of marigolds, an egg, five tickets to see Dreadzone and half a smoked Rizzla.

Hmm.

<Gets taken away by the thought police>

I had to write that, had a big day :P I make no excuses.. apart from the one I just did and it's only a week to go before my birthday. And I am feeling kinda lyrical.. oh and perhaps I am slightly bonkers today.. and maybe I'll just cook up a few more excuses if I am called to defend myself. That or go commander/o.

To be serious:

I love the Commander position, and think it one of the greatest positions. A pity the current PR version has eroded it as a sought after position, and hope this will be rectified. It can be scary almost, as it is alot of pressure in a way; I mean all look to the commander for tactics at the end of the day, and this last I would love to practice more as it is great fun, comparable to more-fun-than-fun-chess, and I like chess. I would recommend all to give it a whirl. And I sincerely hope the DEVS re-introduce this concept back into this vital and likely one of the best positions going (I mean it's a totally different game and is comparable to 'interactive chess' with real people, with weapons and machines, changing envronments, and tactics. What beats that?).

In general I need to practice more of the nuts and bolts: Coms, CAS and accepting or denying requests are the basics I need to brush up on, so am glad of this thread alot! Though as you can see I'm pretty well spanking on the rest ;)

Oh yeah, another top tip: Never be afraid to look for advice from SL's as to status or their thoughts on a tactic. Including them in such decisions or simply getting feedback, is very helpful for all, and when you are in the hotseat.

Putting my joking aside and emphasising the brilliance of the forlorn Commander position, I think this is a great thread! So good on you Celestial1 for bringing this up :)
                  Last edited by Taip3n; 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM. Reason: complete and utter lunacy

Comment

When AFSoccer is commander listen to what he does, with the squad name then info in a short blurt (he is professionally trained ;)). People tend to follow suit and it keeps the comms clear enough for use.
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I demand more tips from Taipen.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Haz an officer kit. All the time.

Everyday.

| |

Comment

If a Squad Lead tells you something's impossible and they're all going to die, it probably is and they probably are.

Don't immediately approve an area attack request. Ask the SL that called it what type of stuff is there and how much of it and when the last time it moved was.

Don't mortar firebases, mortar the infantry defending them and then have an infantry squad go in for the FOB (Or just hit it with an AT rocket or something).

Comment

Yes, the All, Team and Squad chats work in the CO screen. The proper tab will highlight when you use the corresponding key.

If you don't know what you're doing, just treat it like an RTS. I've played a lot of Age of Empires, Command & Conquer and Starcraft. Select squads, tell them where to go and what to do (move, attack, observe, build, etc.)

Then start collecting intel from squadleaders and use it to fine-tune your plan/approach.
                            |TG-6th|Belhade
                            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
                              Yes, the All, Team and Squad chats work in the CO screen. The proper tab will highlight when you use the corresponding key.
                              Yes, I know they work, but my question was if you have a squad highlighted in the squad screen, then type in the 'squad' chat, will the squad see that chat?

I've never tried it, and I've never witnessed it used, so I don't know if it exists or whether someone in development in BF2 really just didn't think about removing the squad channel for the commander.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X