No announcement yet.

Are we using Mumble and TS correctly???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we using Mumble and TS correctly???

What's up with mumble? It does not seem that people are making sure they are in the right channel for mumble or even for teamspeak. Is there someway of making the channel assignments more clear? Blue FOR and Red FOR? I joined a channel tonight seeing some of the folks on my team in the channel, then I get close to some opposing forces and they are in this mumble channel too? They tell me that it is the other teams mumble so I jump out and see the listing and there are equal amounts of both teams in both channels, what is the deal? Can someone please explain? The TS channels for PR coordination were the same way although no one spoke on TS and there were just a few people in each. Pretty confusing!!
    sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Re: Are we using Mumble and TS correctly???

Generally when the server crashes or restarts, or people who use these communcation methods first start coming on the server, Team Coordination 1 and Mumble Server 1 are the ones used for Blufor, where channel two on both systems are Opfor.

The people who were Blufor on the first map in Channel one stay in the channel and become Opfor, and vice versa. Pretty simple really. All you need to do is look at each team, find which channel has your team members on it, and hop in to that channel.

Or just ask in the channel which team it belongs to.

Comment

If you get close to enemy , you should hear them.

Am I right.

Comment

Originally posted by jOHNNYdOUBE View Post

Am I right.
        On most servers, yes. Here, no, because the teams are split into their own channels - if you can hear the enemy, someone is on the wrong channel.

The problem with labeling them 'blufor' and 'opfor' is that there are people who either can't or won't tab out to switch themselves from one side to the other every single map. I'd get tired of that pretty fast myself.
        "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

That's why each team just has it's own channel, then they stay in that channel.

Here, it's set up in Mumble like this:

TacticalGamer Team 1
          Squad Leader Channel
          Squad Leader Alternative
          Main Channelhannel
          Waiting Room

TacticalGamer Team 2
          Squad Leader Channel
          Squad Leader Alternative
          Main Channel
          Waiting Room

They're actually totally seperate. Teamspeak is simpler:

Project Reality
          Public/Tactics/Mumble Channels
          Leadership 1
          Team 1 Coordination
          Leadership 2
          Team 2 Coordination

Comment

If there are mixed teams in mumble, please let players know this by using the 'SL Radio' or 'Force Center' speak so that everyone can hear you.

If there is a huge mix of players, ask for all blufor to move to channel 1, and all opfor to channel 2. If there are a few players here and there that should be in the opposite channel, ask them to change.

Most of all, though, make sure to be courteous; not everyone can change channels immediately, especially if they are in the middle of a firefight. Let them know, and let them change accordingly. If for some reason they refuse to change channels, then it may be worth it to contact a TG admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
              That's why each team just has it's own channel, then they stay in that channel.

Here, it's set up in Mumble like this:

TacticalGamer Team 1
              Squad Leader Channel
              Squad Leader Alternative
              Main Channel
              Waiting Room

TacticalGamer Team 2
              Squad Leader Channel
              Squad Leader Alternative
              Main Channel
              Waiting Room

They're actually totally seperate. Teamspeak is simpler:

Project Reality
              Public/Tactics/Mumble Channels
              Leadership 1
              Team 1 Coordination
              Leadership 2
              Team 2 Coordination
              Personally I think we have too many channels per team. I actually like the other servers' setup of one channel for all.
              |TG-6th|Belhade
              "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by jOHNNYdOUBE View Post

Am I right.
                You should be able to hear the enemy, but not understand what they are saying unless you are an interpreter, which is currently not available in PR.
                So i think for the sake of realism, the opposing teams should be in different channel, just like on TG mumble right now.

If the role of an interpreter could be modeled in PR, like everybody else hearing enemy comms as static but him, only then should both teams be in the same channel.

As for changing channels, it could take even a couple of minutes to minimize PR and bring it back up again on rigs with less then 2 gigs of ram. So just assign switching channels to keys, that way you can easily decide in which one you supposed to be.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
                  You should be able to hear the enemy, but not understand what they are saying unless you are an interpreter, which is currently not available in PR.
                  So i think for the sake of realism, the opposing teams should be in different channel, just like on TG mumble right now.

If the role of an interpreter could be modeled in PR, like everybody else hearing enemy comms as static but him, only then should both teams be in the same channel.

As for changing channels, it could take even a couple of minutes to minimize PR and bring it back up again on rigs with less then 2 gigs of ram. So just assign switching channels to keys, that way you can easily decide in which one you supposed to be.
                  Based on this, should we all be in the same channel for Russia vs Chechnya? :)
                  |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                  sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
                  I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Based on this, should we all be in the same channel for Russia vs Chechnya? :)
                    Yes.

Relatedly, why is there a squadleader channel and an alternate squadleader channel in each, and why does everyone always end up in the alternate squadleader channel?
                    "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

Because there are cool squad leaders and lame squad leaders. Us cool people discreetly go to the other channel when lame people get on.

Lame people are so... lame.
                      |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                      sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
                      I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

So you're saying that you actually try to get on the team with the most people you deem "cool"?

In before lock.

Ah I'm just kiddin.
                        Skud

Comment

Personally, I like blue/op-for forces being in the same channel, or at least being able to hear each other in game. They could always be in separate sub-channels, but this is only my opinion.

As it stands, I don't know of any "rule" that says you must be in one mumble channel vs. another, but it seems to me that you would want to be in the channel where the bulk of your side was, regardless.

Edit: I DO try to get on the side with the most mumble players on it, because I want to use mumble and my odds are better on the side with more mumble users. If I'm not alone, this may have an unintended consequence given the cast of characters that consistently use mumble.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's reply. The issue last night was that the teams were interspersed between the Team 1 channel and the Team 2 channel. This is what concerned me, I'll try use Celestial's suggestions if I can in the future. But, I also believe it is the responsibility of the player to get himself into the right channel. I don't want to be accused of listening to another team's discussion on their squads tactics just because I am near them.

Hey Dread I want to be in the 'cool' SL's channel...
                            sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

Originally posted by =KOF=CR8Z View Post
                              As it stands, I don't know of any "rule" that says you must be in one mumble channel vs. another, but it seems to me that you would want to be in the channel where the bulk of your side was, regardless.
                              IIRC, Mumble was/is treated like the TS channels; if you are in the wrong channel, you are considered to be eavesdropping on the other team, and you would be moved.

I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember was done.

Edit: I DO try to get on the side with the most mumble players on it, because I want to use mumble and my odds are better on the side with more mumble users. If I'm not alone, this may have an unintended consequence given the cast of characters that consistently use mumble.
                              If this is the case, I sincerely suggest that you avoid this tendency because it tends to create the effect of having both teams in one channel. If you go into the channel and ask for the players to get into the proper channels, if they aren't already, and then go into your proper channel. This way, the teams will be divided as intended, and you will not be alone if there are players on your team using mumble.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X