Training and general practice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training and general practice.

Does anybody here partake in live training or practice sessions? It is all well and good flying around in a helicopter/jet on a local training server, but doing so does not give you experience of dodging enemy AA, getting your attacks on target, landing underpressure etc.

I tried playing on a internet training server a few times but all that just turned out to be a cluster **** of people goofing around.

I do not want to use a heli on the TG server because I am very likely to get shot down, crash or w/e. How would anybody suggest I get better at it beyond flying around on your own on a local or empty training server?

Re: Training and general practice.

You might consider flying copilot/gunner with another pilot and pay attention to their style
    or
    downloading some BR files and watching good pilots and the AA trying to shoot them down to get a feeling of what to look for
    or
    Play as AA and learn how to shoot helos down and apply what you learn to not getting shot down
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
      You might consider flying copilot/gunner with another pilot and pay attention to their style
      or
      downloading some BR files and watching good pilots and the AA trying to shoot them down to get a feeling of what to look for
      or
      Play as AA and learn how to shoot helos down and apply what you learn to not getting shot down
      Great advice on downloading the BattleRecorder files. I do that quite frequently to spy on good players, but even then I sometimes wonder how the heck they did something. I once set off an IED in the middle of the street on Al Basrah while a full squad crossed the road...I blew up 5 of the guys and somehow freaking DirtBoy of all people survived the thing and shot me! I just...can't...kill him. grrrrr.

Ask the TGU guys for their schedule, also. They regularly hold training sessions on the server which are great for practicing advanced tactics.

Send me a PM if you ever want to practice helo techniques. I've been practicing a lot this week to shake off some of the rust from my 3month break.
      |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
        For general flying, this is your 'easiest' way to learn the absolute basics, IMO. Ask a pilot if they would be willing to let you copilot and just sit in the seat for the game, offer to help coordinate landings and pickups with commander if there is one. This will get you a feel of how they handle the helicopter, as well as how they approach landing.

Coordinating landings/pickups/supply drops etc will help you a lot in learning how to identify map elements in real-time instead of constantly needing a move marker, which can be the difference between getting a mission done quickly and efficiently or circling in the air waiting for a new marker until you get shot down by Anti-Aircraft.

Once you get a hang of how to approach the basics of flying, look for an empty training server, or an empty server running a map with the aircraft of choice, and just start off with some basic take-off and landing procedures; nothing fancy, just lift off, hover for say 30 seconds, and then land as softly as you can to get a feel of what it takes to do so. This will get you acquainted with the most vital aspects of basic helicopter flight (hovering, landing)

Then, try doing moving landings. Take off and try to pick up a good amount of speed while not rising or lowering in altitude. Once you feel comfortable, head to a runway on the map. Approach the runway at a level altitude, and then dive slightly, tap S, and shortly before touching down pull back and let the back of the skids/back wheel touch down, and then let it come to a stop. If at any time you feel uncomfortable in your approach, abort the landing and come around again; this will help you know when to attempt a landing or not more often in the heat of things.

Once you've got those basics down and perfected to the best of your abilities, try to fly around the map, staying around 20 meters from the ground, and slowly pick up speed as you feel comfortable. This will give you a good feeling for how to best follow the land, which will help greatly in both breaking AA lock, and avoiding enemy fire by putting a physical obstacle inbetween you and them. This could take some time to learn, so don't feel discouraged if you end up wrapping your rotors around a telephone pole a few times.

At that point you should be more than adequate as a pilot, and will learn a lot of techniques as well as speeds and altitudes with which to approach an LZ, and will be a great help to those you are transporting or supplying.

This. Once you have learned the basics of flight, mastering Anti-Air is the absolute best way to learn how to avoid being shot down. Be sure to take advantage of every moment you can where the helicopter is not flaring, is exposing itself for too long, or is flying at an angle where it will be easy to hit it.

Having a good distribution of flares can completely nullify any AA threat during a mission; too soon or too late, though, and you could quickly be on the recieving end of a missle.
        Flying low to the ground will often help avoid any rooftop AA and will make ground AA much less likely to see you at all, if there are buildings between you.
        Learning to fly at angles in which it is less likely for the missile to track you is also a good skill; if you know where the Anti-Air emplacement is, it's probably a bad idea to fly directly at or away from it; it's probably a good idea to fly parallel to it, so that the missile has to attempt to turn 90 degrees to reach your path. This can give you a bit more time to react, with flares or dodging a lock.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys :). A question about the throttle on the key board. when you have no buttons pressed does that means the throttle is idle yes? if so why do most choppers hover like that but jets eventually fall out the sky? <--- aka they have no more thrust, also with jets I don't see a reason to have a de-accelerate button, as soon as you let go of w the throttle goes right down to idle... <--- am I missing something there?

ps Celestial1 do you play/mod COH by any chance? it is not a very common name and I have seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusLee View Post
            Thanks a lot guys :). A question about the throttle on the key board. when you have no buttons pressed does that means the throttle is idle yes? if so why do most choppers hover like that but jets eventually fall out the sky? <--- aka they have no more thrust, also with jets I don't see a reason to have a de-accelerate button, as soon as you let go of w the throttle goes right down to idle... <--- am I missing something there?
            It's a bit iffy, as PR is not really in any way a flight simulator, they just tried to make the controls feel 'right'.

0% throttle on a helicopter is below idle. It will descend about a meter of altitude in 2 seconds, I think; it descends very slowly, almost hovering.
            40% throttle is about dead-on to idle. A helicopter can pretty effectively hover at this level, not gaining or losing any altitude.

As for jets, the throttle is roughly the same except that because it's using forward motion to sustain itself as opposed to upward lift, the 0% throttle basically cuts the engine, causing it to slow down quickly and fall out of the sky. Again, around 40% throttle is idle.

ps Celestial1 do you play/mod COH by any chance? it is not a very common name and I have seen it before.
            Company of Heroes? No, I've never played it.

Comment

OK then in that case I may use my throttle slider on my joy stick.

Comment

I find a joystick throttle slider to work horribly. BF2 has, bascially, three controls for jet flight:

Forward, Reverse, and off.

Therefore, I use the front switch on my Saitek Aviator, which conveniently has three settings, for 'Forward', 'Reverse', and 'Off'. I only really use the manual controls if the situation warrants it or if I'm landing and need precise speed control.

Same with helicopters. You can either go UP, DOWN, or Idle. If you put your joystick throttle setting to, say, 80%, it'll just keep going until it hits 100. It won't stay at 80% even though that's what the slider's put to.

Comment

Mine does, in heli's I now set my slider to be 45% and use the w and s keys to increase thrust to fly faster/higher or s to land.

With jets it is useful as I now have a free hand to press other important buttons, like comms etc.

When coming in for landing I set the throttle to 25% to start slowing down then as I get within 1600 meters of the strip I bring it to zero, I usually land nicely with that.

Comment

I think for a person learnbing flying its best to stick with keyboard and mouse/keyboard. Basically when you want to hover just let go of both keys. go up press w, go down press S but use S sparingly because it will make the helo go cockeyed and drop the tail end down. When learning its best to just keep everything as simple as possible and always keep a finger on the X key for flares
                    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

fly on a training server and train until you are sure you can give it a try on a public one.
                      make sure you are totally confident at what you are doing.
                      my advice is to focus on one chopper for now. for example: i started with the little bird, then i learned to fly the huey , and so on
                      i would keep my fingers off attack helos (apache, havoc..) ... for now.
                      and it's great to have an experienced pilot flying with you
                      good luck :)
                      |TGXV|STeaLthBananaaa

sigpic

We snipe the TG way

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactical-gamer-university/ is a great spot to find classes to learn things about pretty much any game at TG. I don't know when the next flying class will be but just keep an eye there and sign up if one is made.
                        |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

My joystick has excellent throttle control. I can set the throttle to anywhere between 1-100%. I think that a joystick is far easier to use than the mouse/keyboard combo, but then I've been using a joystick for video games for more than 10 years. (I've been using the same Microsoft Sidewinder Pro for about 8 of those years.)

Definitely go into an online training server to practice. A local server won't have the same "lag" components and won't be the best training.

Hover a lot. If you can hover well, you can probably fly straight and level okay too.

Be a squad leader on the training server and set a mark a specific location and deliver crates/ordinance exactly to that spot.

If you do start a squad in a training server, somebody will likely join your squad before long. Ask them to help you train.

Hug the terrain. Practice flying ridiculously low and fast in the training server. It will come in handy in game, I promise.

Comment

Yea I am doing that and getting better at it. However all the online training servers I found have just been filled with idiots goofing around, but I got a friend to laser targets the other day for me. I will keep a look out on the TGU. But my jet skills far exceed my heli ones... because they are so much easier in general...

I am getting better tho, thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusLee View Post
                              because they are so much easier in general...
                              In regards to flying, yes, absolutely.

When it comes to using them in battle, however, you may be singing a different tune especially if you fail to properly disperse flares, and ensure that you don't stick around after your job is done.

I would suggest that if you can get the guy to laze targets again for you, to not give you a marker. Try to fly by your map and instinct to get a feel for where the laze should be, so you can drop from the sky, release the payload, and ascend right back up. The less you expose yourself, the longer you will last.

Also try to get him to 'randomize' what the target is, even if you're just shooting the ground; for instance, if he says 'D6k8 Infantry', you shouldn't need to waste a missile on the target, instead use the proper munition, which might be guns. Have him watch where the bomb/missile/guns/rockets hit, and ask him how accurate they were to the target.

This kind of thing will allow you to better adapt to how the battle may change (if your lasered target is a vehicle, for instance, it may travel south after they lazed, so it's best that you don't stick around if you don't know where the target is, and ensure that you hit it in the small amount of time you will be exposing yourself from the sky).

As for training servers, like I said look for some empty ones. I find that one of the local servers is usually empty or close to it, and most of the foreign ones will be too (even if you lag a bit more, it could be good to still try to get some practice in, and could help with compensating for lag when it rears its ugly head)

Good luck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X