the L85 doesnt exist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the L85 doesnt exist

as some of you might know i have a huge passion for guns and i was researching what is the L85 is and ive come to the conclusion that it is simlpy a modification for the SA80 assault rifle that is a rail system which is is called L85. prove me wrong otherwise

Re: the L85 doesnt exist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SA80

Comment

Originally posted by Blade.3510 View Post
      as some of you might know i have a huge passion for guns and i was researching what is the L85 is and ive come to the conclusion that it is simlpy a modification for the SA80 assault rifle that is a rail system which is is called L85. prove me wrong otherwise
      If is a modification, and the rifle is referred to by it's modification identifier (L85) then that would mean the L85 exists as a modification of a SA80...

All modern weapons are derivatives of previous weapons.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

SA80 is a nickname given to the series of rifles, which includes the L85, L95 LSW, etc.

SA80 stands for "Small Arms for the 1980's".

(The short version of Alpha's link)

Comment

As celestial said, L85 is just its military designation, like all US rifles are given the "M" or "XM" for prototypes we use "L" instead, like the previous L1a1.

Comment

thats what i wanted to hear thank you :)

Comment

As far as i know the SA80 is a pile of poo and the L85 has been modified internally to make it much better.

WHen the sa80 first appeared it had serious jam problems fireing in all but perfect weather conditions.
              Its not half as sexy as an AUG anyway :P
              Nihility

Comment

But AUG's are the weapons of movie bad guys!
                | |

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
                Charge for the guns' he said:
                Into the valley of Death
                  Rode the six hundred.

Comment

H&K did a load of internal mods and improvements greatly incresing it's reliability. They actually had to increase the standards on the basic rifleman qualification as a result of the accuracy of the weapon and effecitiveness of the Susat scope. It's regarded in many quarters as one of the finest infantry weapons in current use lol, ironic as it was junk when it first came out.

Comment

This seems like a pretty cool page describing the SA80/L85, its adoption and initial reliability problems.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/SA80.htm

|

Comment

Down to my experience actually using the L85 I can say safely I have confidence in using it as a weapon. Now I joined up after the SA80 modifications so I have no comparison. However the new railing mounts and handles are bad ass and there is a rumour that they are considering an ACOG but I don't want that, in my experiance the SUSAT is a quality piece of kit, particularly when it comes to night exercises thanks to it's tritium source. From what I hear from the rest of the longer serving guys the initial SA80 problems were real bad in a sandy environment, and the Royal Marines in particular gave it a real rough time in training to put it through it's paces in Kenya, the Oman, Canada and in the Arctic circle. Now we pretty much sing it's praises, trust me it has a reliable range out to 600m but I have seen and personally hit further without a problem, although it definately is condition dependant. Also blade they frown on calling to either the SA80 or L85, in British military parlance it is designated the "personal weapon, 5.56mm" ;)

what regiment you going to, and are you green mafia?

Comment

I don't care what it's called it's an awesome weapon. Bullpup rifles for the win! Or is that Bullpop?
                        Last edited by Berlancic; 10-13-2009, 03:19 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                          Down to my experience actually using the L85 I can say safely I have confidence in using it as a weapon. Now I joined up after the SA80 modifications so I have no comparison. However the new railing mounts and handles are bad ass and there is a rumour that they are considering an ACOG but I don't want that, in my experiance the SUSAT is a quality piece of kit, particularly when it comes to night exercises thanks to it's tritium source. From what I hear from the rest of the longer serving guys the initial SA80 problems were real bad in a sandy environment, and the Royal Marines in particular gave it a real rough time in training to put it through it's paces in Kenya, the Oman, Canada and in the Arctic circle. Now we pretty much sing it's praises, trust me it has a reliable range out to 600m but I have seen and personally hit further without a problem, although it definately is condition dependant. Also blade they frown on calling to either the SA80 or L85, in British military parlance it is designated the "personal weapon, 5.56mm" ;)

what regiment you going to, and are you green mafia?
                          the royal anglian regiment and no ;)

Comment

SA80 is to L85 as AR-15 is to M16.
                            Waldo II

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
                              SA80 is to L85 as AR-15 is to M16.
                              Ooh, I had that question running through my mind as I scrolled down the thread. Thanks.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X