al muthana WIP, Rudd would like your input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: al muthana WIP, Rudd would like your input

Obviously I'm an idiot, but I can't seem to make me a private server. I unzipped it to the levels folder and all, but I go ingame and it's not there. What am I doing wrong?
    "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

look at your levels folder

if its /levels/al_muthana/ - inside that is info, server.zip and client.zip

it is correct

you cant run the game then put the map in the folder, you have to do it without bf2 running.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
        I don't know if it's possible, but a thought I've always had is severely staggering asset spawns between the teams. Say, both teams start off with infantry assets, and perhaps other minor land vehicles and/or air transports (Ala Kashan 16). The MEC team also receives armor/air assets (Kashan 32, only one attack heli). After XX minutes of the Havok's spawning, the British team gains either armor support or an Apache (not both), as well as a small set of AAVs (1 or 2?).
        With the limited amount of knowledge I have on the BF2 engine and whatever controls spawn times this wouldn't be possible without changing some things. From what i know the amount an asset is on a delayed spawn is that asset's respawn time including the 3 minute countdown. So the only way to do what you suggest that i know of would be change all of the assets spawn times to how much of a delay which is going to possibly result in some massive spawn times. This is a really interesting way of doing things and creats even beter assymetrical warfare and I would love it to be included, but I just don't think it can be added easily.
        |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

New screenshots:

Comment

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
            The issue with APC combat on this map is that the British really don't have a TOW-capable APC, so we can't really put BMPs on it without risking unbalance. BTR/BRDM vs. Warrior/Scimitar is also unbalanced but faaaar less so than BMP vs. Warrior/Scimitar
            Originally posted by chrisweb89 View Post
            I'm not sure of this but I have heard that the british warrior can have TOWs mounted on the turrets, and there is a variant of it called the desert warrior that has an LAV-25 turret with two built in TOWs but i don't know if the britsh use it.
            Bah you guys are thinking so mirrored and boring. There are many ways to balance sides without giving them equal numbers of extremely similar assets. Why take the easy way out, when there are so many other interesting possibilities?,
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Rules to mapping - finish the map first, then worry about factions and assets.

Also, if this map makes it to official PR status then Rudd is no longer in control of the factions or the assets on the map - the PR DEV team is.

While debating assets and balance is great, it ultimately is meaningless.

Map is looking good, Rudd! Keep up the hard work!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

A BTR can combat a LAV just fine 1-on-1, so I dont see why a BTR couldnt do it against a Warrior.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                  Also, if this map makes it to official PR status then Rudd is no longer in control of the factions or the assets on the map - the PR DEV team is.

While debating assets and balance is great, it ultimately is meaningless
                  Oh...well that is stunningly depressing. Well, all quibbling about vehicle balance aside, the map is solid. The runways are easy to land on because you don't have to skim treetop level, you can actually come in on a good slope. My only concerns are the lack of firing positions for armor onto the major flags. On the other hand, it's impossible to know if this will be a good or bad thing without wide circulation.

The map seems solid from my tests, and looks to be a lot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                    I still get input, and I think that at the end of the day I get to decide the teams but not the assets :)

Though I'm not actually balancing teh map atm asset wise, all the vehicles are on there for lolz and testing only atm.

I've redone the colormaps so that there are no more crazy lines and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire14 View Post
                      A BTR can combat a LAV just fine 1-on-1, so I dont see why a BTR couldnt do it against a Warrior.
                      I think penetrating LAV armor is much easier than a warrior.

When foolsroad was brit vs rebels, I fired 2-3 full BRDM(same gun as BTR-60) clips into the treads of a scimitar and it did minimal damage.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                        lack of firing positions for armor onto the major flags.
                        That's the point :P

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                          I think penetrating LAV armor is much easier than a warrior.

When foolsroad was brit vs rebels, I fired 2-3 full BRDM(same gun as BTR-60) clips into the treads of a scimitar and it did minimal damage.
                          Im not too sure. But from that point to here, I think the HP of vehicles and damage of weapons has been modified, but you would have to find the statistics of the vehicles to compare now to find out. :/
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks great. I love Kashan, I think this will be just as good.

Comment

Looking at the screenshots posted by startrekern, I believe the editor might be using the high-quality ground texture, at all ranges, making it appear very strangely. When in game, it seems to look much better.

It's still a little noticeable, but it's better than in the screenshots originally posted.

Just by the screenshots Startrekern posted, I'm really loving all of the action-areas (anywhere where there is buildings). Everything seems right, I'm really impressed.

Comment

yea celestial what I did was decrease the hitoptilling.

this basically decreases the number of tiles of the lowdetailtexture are used, kinda stretching the texture so that its less noticable to be tiled at range, but I have a couple of ideas on how to make it better now.

the original screenies used the default tilling of 64, I put it down to 10, iirc hte battle for qinling uses around 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X