al muthana WIP, Rudd would like your input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: al muthana WIP, Rudd would like your input

Such a nice looking map! I looked at the beginning screenies and compared to now.. i thought it was an entirely different map you were talking about, and i missed where we changed topics ;) Im really looking forward to playing this on a full server.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Rudd_medicman View Post
      I can say with 100% certainty that attack helos will feature in the 64 version, the 16 version is going to be light vehicles and the 32 version has not been decided at all but may be armour centric.
      Thank god that a 4km 16 version wont be just INF and Choppers.

This is looking great and I really hope it replaces Kashan's ridiculous terrain and semi-borish statics! With the terrain the way it is (mostly flat and hilly) I hope that tanks are able to conceal themselves in Hull Down and even Turret Down positions.... it would really add a new dimension to tank warfare not really seen in PR.

Also... could you at least toy with Jets? I'd love to see a bomb drop called in on a tank in the middle of a city.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
        Thank god that a 4km 16 version wont be just INF and Choppers.

This is looking great and I really hope it replaces Kashan's ridiculous terrain and semi-borish statics! With the terrain the way it is (mostly flat and hilly) I hope that tanks are able to conceal themselves in Hull Down and even Turret Down positions.... it would really add a new dimension to tank warfare not really seen in PR.

Also... could you at least toy with Jets? I'd love to see a bomb drop called in on a tank in the middle of a city.
        Actually what was funny about the older version of Al Muthana that we played around with was that the tanks could still move at full speed while firing at each other because the terrain was flat enough .. so you had to sort of lead in the opposite direction to even hit them

Comment

it is possible that the 32 layer will feature a Mig for the MEC, while the Brits get a couple of AAVs - let MEC have the airpower for once.

Comment

looks even better
            Viking

Comment

Rudd -- I really like what you've come up with during the re-thinking process. Pics #3 and #4 look incredible! I know how much time goes into making a city but I think having a large city will help unify the map. Are you thinking of adding a few more terrain features too? That might help create choke points and visual landmarks... instead of just large tracts of sand.

Anyway, GREAT job!

Comment

actually I'm planning on leaving it quite open, the reason being that not many maps do that, and its a desert and all. But rest assured, I'm going to put cover in, but instead of cover going up, it'll be little ditches and things to jump into ;)

my HD failed yesterday, so I'm trying to recover alot of files right now, will know in an hour or so how much i've lost :)

wish me luck :D

Comment

OMG, you're like the 3rd mapper I've heard about that lost their HD. I better back mine up quick!!

Comment

looks like all my data is intact :)

the old HD became corrupted in the OS parts of it, so it couldn't boot but the data in the important bits wasn't damaged

so quite frankly I've come out on top :) a new 1TB HD, I can wipe my old HD as my backup which is another 500GB, I've got a new shiny clean HD to use so I'm actually quite happy. Just wish I had fasterinternet to download all the BF2 bollocks.

Comment

Hello chaps, thought I'd let you in on how things are going

the map is essentally finished in terms of staticobjects, overgrowth, ambient effects, triggerable effects etc. However there are currently some bugs, mainly to do with the roads and colortexture on the ground. Now, rest assured that I shall destroy these bugs without mercy so that I can get this map finished on time.

here is a minimap thats a little old now, but gives you the layout pretty good.
                      http://img297.imageshack.us/f/minimappreview2.jpg/

here are some quick screenshots, be aware that I can't show you the LMed version due to some problems with the textures atm, ignore any black textures.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98472321-4.jpg
                      http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98472953-4.jpg
                      http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98473291-4.jpg
                      http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98473338-4.jpg
                      http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98473354-4.jpg
                      http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98473373-4.jpg

I've only finalised the 64 version atm, the 32 version and 16 are yet to be done.

GB

at the occupied VCP (with temp spawn)
                      3 Challengers (non respawn)
                      1 warrior (non respawn)
                      1 scimitar (non respawn)

at british main (with perm spawn)
                      1 logistic truck
                      1 Chinook
                      1 Lynx
                      2 Apaches (20min delayed)
                      4 Challengers (20min delayed)
                      2 warriors (10min delayed)
                      2 Stormers (10min delayed)
                      1 logistic truck (10min delayed)

MEC

at the mec bunkers (with temp spawn point)
                      1 BDRM armed (non repawn)
                      1 BDRM support (non respawn)
                      1 Logistic truck (non respawn)

at the military airport bunkers (with temp spawn)
                      1 BTR-60 (non respawn)
                      1 BMP-3 (non respawn)
                      2 T-72s (non respawn)
                      1 logistic truck (non respawn)

at the mec security bureau (in the city with a temp spawn (the smoke plumed place :P)
                      1 UAZ

MEC main (with perm spawns)
                      3 T-72s (20min delayed spawn)
                      2 BMP-3s (20min delayed spawn)
                      1 BTR-60 (10min delayed spawn)
                      1 Mi17 (10min delayed spawn)
                      2 Havoks (20min delayed spawn)
                      2 Gaskins (10min delayed spawn)
                      2 logistic trucks

I am pretty certain that 32 is going to be a very unique layer featuring a MiG, but it will be a tricky balance.

16 is going to be an assortment of light vehicles, my thinking is BDRM supports mixed with BDRMs vs rovers and helicopters, BDRM may be a infrequent vehicle in favour of mec version of the FAV if balance is bad. (i.e. 0.87 kashan 16)

I hope you like the look of the map, trust me any problems are not from lack of effort. Any suggestions (reasonable please lads) are welcome, I think you boys are going to enjoy this alot as a kind of fusion of Kashan, Al Kufrah and EJOD desert- hopefully only the good parts of them all :D

I leave you with a sneak peek at my other primary project called jungle fire
                      Big Mac Hill
                      http://img3.imageshack.us/i/stuffe.jpg/

I will not be answering questions on the last teaser

Could an admin be so kind and paste this post to the first page :)
                      Last edited by Rudd_medicman; 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Done - love to put it up on a password night for the good folks to give it a big stress-test for you ... hint hint hint

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."
                        |TG-42nd|Wicks-Today at 4:47 PM

No it was fine mate I'm just an *******

Comment

I'm going to take you up on that, when its LMed :)

Comment

Hi Rudd!

A soccer/football field = Awesome! Cool idea.

The city looks good. It's big enough to fight in (and for infantry to hide from the tanks). I don't see any hills overlooking the city which is good too. :) It's hard to tell by looking at the mini-map, but the city looks pretty cramped. Are there spaces to put FOBs (besides in the middle of the street)? Something we need to think about now that they're so important.

Question: Most of the statics look a bit too yellow. I'm guessing this is due to your sky settings. You may want to tone that down a bit. Even the metal looks yellow (like on the fence and goal posts) and they shouldn't. Rusty and corroded maybe, but not yellow. I know there are an infinite number of tweaks, but maybe play with that a little.

Lastly, are there enough terrain variations so that infantry can move outside of the city without being completely in the open? Kufrah's terrain had it's downfalls, but one thing I liked is that it had some ditches, etc. for the infantry to use.

Looking forward to playing it again... :)

Comment

I think that a lack of ditches (though a few here and there would certainly be okay) may really ring the bell for the APCs to get up to snuff and get their guys around... Only problem is the abundance of AT in the game at the moment.
                              Last edited by Celestial1; 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

The city looks good. It's big enough to fight in (and for infantry to hide from the tanks). I don't see any hills overlooking the city which is good too. It's hard to tell by looking at the mini-map, but the city looks pretty cramped. Are there spaces to put FOBs (besides in the middle of the street)? Something we need to think about now that they're so important.
                                most streets are almost exactly 8m accross, the highway is around 16m accross, so it should be as hard as putting a FB in muttrah, but you raise a good point.

Question: Most of the statics look a bit too yellow. I'm guessing this is due to your sky settings. You may want to tone that down a bit. Even the metal looks yellow (like on the fence and goal posts) and they shouldn't. Rusty and corroded maybe, but not yellow. I know there are an infinite number of tweaks, but maybe play with that a little.
                                the yellow is only there because its not LMed in those screens :) and I happend to take screens of locations that weren't in shadow

Lastly, are there enough terrain variations so that infantry can move outside of the city without being completely in the open? Kufrah's terrain had it's downfalls, but one thing I liked is that it had some ditches, etc. for the infantry to use.
                                I think that infantry will have a high survivability rate outside the city, though their offensive capability will be limited. Every 10m or so you can go prone and not be seen on most angles, and there are lots of static rock groups around with small dips etc that infantry can take cover in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X