Is there anybody out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anybody out there?

While I've been happy to see the integration of localized voice through mumble I am either noticing a decline in inter squad communication or just noticing it's absence. When playing a round that requires multiple squads to work together (basically any map other than Bi Ming/Sunset City which lives and dies by the blob) I rarely get any kind of feedback from other squads on enemy intel. There are exceptions of course but I notice it fairly often, and usually it is on larger, combined arms type maps.

What I have found is the same few people talk to the team, or IHS squad mates/outside clan members talk to each other a lot over team chat/SL chat, but regulars that are otherwise great team players don't always give intel when requested. I don't think we have to have a commander just to trade intel, although map markers are sure nice :)

Let's take Kashan as an example. The team that has infantry talking to armor/air assets wins. When this happens the stronger assets can counter the enemy, surprise the enemy, cover advancing infantry and soften up targets. When they don't talk the tanks roam around the C3 hills and die without helping the team because that is where they feel safe because they can hide in the terrain. With a little infantry support they could instead hang around the bunkers to get them capped and then make a rush for the poorly placed following flags. But if no one spots anything for the air assets (by giving grids and possibly lazing) then air assets are no use to the ground units except to kill the enemies air assets because they don't know if they are coming into a hot zone, when and where to soften the enemy, etc. If no intel is given to the armor/APCs then there is no one available to transport, support a push because they are taken out by the opposing team.

Ramiel is another good example. When the squads give intel on enemy contacts (even just infantry spots including dropped off by chopper/APC) it can give other nearby squads ideas on whether there could be a FoB/Hideout/cache nearby. Reports of vehicles leaving main can give an idea of whether they can expect reinforcements for their enemies, allow other squads to make ambushes. We had a great round of Ramiel last evening as insurgents because we did give the intel back and forth, there were a lot of spots, ambushes and assistance given.

What I would like to see is regulars stepping up and using that SL chat feature in mumble if they use mumble already, or text chat in game more often if they don't. If you find that keeping up with SL chat and trying to organize at the same time is difficult appoint a 'radioman' to relay relevant information. If you are in a transport squad, join the SL channel and stay quiet, let your SL or designated radioman talk to the other squads and just use it to listen for intel. It's nice to get into an area and get an intel report from someone over directional, but it is even better to get a general heads up that there are contacts in the area before you even arrive. If you have problems with minimizing to change channels (yeah the keybinds for channel changing suck) ask kindly to be moved and one of the admins who can will most likely move you when they are free.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Is there anybody out there?

It's a good point Snoog. I'm just getting back to Mumble now I'm satisfied (belatedly admittedly) that I am not gong to hear enemy chat 300 metres away so I can 'cheat' an advantage (why I stopped).

However, I keep saying "mic check" as I slowly get to understand it. I need a lot of time to say I am professional at it to say the least.

What I have found also, is that 'regular mumble users' only respond - to each other. That, or, those that are acquainted.

It doesn't help. And I agree: it doesn’t help the team. Especially if I am thinking “they just don’t like me”, or, “I’m stupid”, or, “is this another example of me not being ‘in’”. What am I getting at (because that’s what I picked up): I’m actually – nervous to talk in it.. Then again, I look to players like Wickens, who has always backed me up, and liked my style and I get nervous with my SL abilities. So that last is me and I should stop being so paranoid that people such as him, or you, think I can’t do my job..

That is a personal note. I am saying nothing more than that. Nor am I reflecting as a whole on the community. That is my bag more than anything else. I guess I am just being honest and open and talk about my assets and not so assets (same thing actually. Very Yoda – but rather his way than Darths’). Me, in other words. But 'me' is an expression of me. I'd rather communicate and feel comfortable. Be accepted for 'Me'. And this form of Communication (yes - note big C) is yet another one. We are, at the end of the day, Social Primates. I can lead this e=somewhere but I always gve hints and allow others to go with it. It's my way. this is.. a community. And so I think you have a deep view on how this community should get over this... rut. So what is the meaning of what I am saying in gaming terms? TG is based on principles. It is why we are the best. And hence I call it a rut because I look at it holistically. Not too hard to overcome. especially because we have a common goal. To kick ass in the cyber chess game of games, PR ;)

NHL '93 anybody? :)

So I am going to virtual +rep you for this observation. There's me, thinking it's me and I'm mad as usual or got in the wrong channel, or simply shouldn't download some cyberchat software so I can talk to Hot Russian Babes.

I am still thinking of saying “to hell with it” and just go out tonight but there is this picture.... but I digress..

Comment

I very rarely SL, I'm still not able to do it properly, mainly because even though I can communicate, I'm still not used to do it fast and sometimes when I try, I start to get stuck and end up saying weird mispronounced words (My main language is Spanish and I learned English all by myself through practice), BUT every time I notice my SL is not sharing intel I do it by myself on the Team chat and/or to people around me in mumble.

And when I do SL, I make Recon squads, so I assume my task is to give out intel, mark targets, hunt priority targets when possible, etc.

What I find demotivating about it is that I rarely get an answer like "looking into it" or anything that let's me know that someone is doing something about it, it even looks like people just don't care and suddenly, the same squad that should've been interested in the intel, writes "why didn't anybody tell there was a BRDM here?!" or "omg there's a tank here, we're dead".

I already use the team chat a lot for intel purposes, so what I would like to see is more people actually paying attention to it.

In-Game: |TG-Irr|Dreves

Comment

Originally posted by VCDreves View Post
        I very rarely SL, I'm still not able to do it properly, mainly because even though I can communicate, I'm still not used to do it fast and sometimes when I try, I start to get stuck and end up saying weird mispronounced words (My main language is Spanish and I learned English all by myself through practice), BUT every time I notice my SL is not sharing intel I do it by myself on the Team chat and/or to people around me in mumble.
        Don't sweat a language barrier, most English speakers say things wrong.

And when I do SL, I make Recon squads, so I assume my task is to give out intel, mark targets, hunt priority targets when possible, etc.

What I find demotivating about it is that I rarely get an answer like "looking into it" or anything that let's me know that someone is doing something about it, it even looks like people just don't care and suddenly, the same squad that should've been interested in the intel, writes "why didn't anybody tell there was a BRDM here?!" or "omg there's a tank here, we're dead".

I already use the team chat a lot for intel purposes, so what I would like to see is more people actually paying attention to it.
        Team chat is ignored by people using voice mostly because people spam it with crap or are are otherwise occupied. Think of team chat notifications like mine markers. You should do it even if people ignore it and blame you before checking their map.

I try to give a voice notification and then type something like 'infantry D4k4' right after in case my speech was unclear. I still get blamed for 'not saying anything' but at least I know I did :P I also don't expect feedback from reports as I don't give it either unless I am in a squad specific to that issue even if I am going to see what I can do. ie: While in a tank I may give a roger or I'll be hitting that target, but if someone says infantry in D2 on ramiel I just might mosey up there and see what is going on without a reply.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I have an etiquette question: is it appropriate for me to, in mumble, use force center in the team channel (not the SL channel) to report notable enemy movements? i.e. "enemy stryker a3k8 heading north". By 'notable' I mean something that hasn't (that I've seen/heard with my incredible powers of inobservation) been reported in chat/TS/mumble/etc, isn't somewhere obvious (if there's a Brad that's been running around the middle of the bunker complex for 10 minutes, someone's probably noticed it) and is large enough that eliminating it would require more than a token force - armour, attack aircraft, full squads, etc.
          Also, what about me (as a squadmember of a squad whose SL could be either in or not in the SL channel) lurking in the SL channel to pick up information (or respond if my SL isn't in Mumble and my squad is being directly addressed)?
          "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

I dont use the SL section for Mumble. If Im giving intel, I'm giving it to everyone on Mumble. Key point: Be on Mumble!
            |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

I have noticed a big drop in players using the SL channels over the last few days. I know the channel was broken for a few day(s?), but it hasn't seemed to jump back to it's normal rate. An easy way to encourage this is to ask your SL's to get in the channel in team chat. Once they are in, feed them Intel and get the communication open. Hopefully they fire some back.

Comment

Originally posted by sporkife View Post
                I have an etiquette question: is it appropriate for me to, in mumble, use force center in the team channel (not the SL channel) to report notable enemy movements? i.e. "enemy stryker a3k8 heading north".
                I'm fairly certain that the SL channel cannot hear you if you use force center in the general channel.

I was not aware of the SL channel being down recently. I was using it last evening although I had been a regular squad member for about a week prior.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

If you use force center outside of the SL channel, you are giving info to everyone but squad leaders. Force Center only works for the players in your immediate channel.

Hint: If you're either a Squad Leader, Armor/Air operator, HAT/Sniper, or even just your SLs right hand man, it's a good idea to be in the SL channel so that you can communicate and receive contact reports.

Whenever I'm playing, I'm always in the SL channel, even if not SLing, just so that I may listen in for contacts or report serious threats when my SL may be busy.

Comment

team 2 SL channel (both regular and alt) is not working properly.

If you are in the SL channel you can hear Force Cneter of others in the SL channel and postional of others in the SL channel. You cannot hear anyone not in the SL channel in any way.

I am trying to resolve this issue and will post back in this thread when its fixed,
                    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Is there anybody out there?
                      Just nod if you can hear me.

Comment

Transcript from the end scene of the movie Platoon. Conversation between the commander and whats left of the patrol he sent out:
                        Bravo Three, Bravo Six. Send me a grid. Over.
                        I can't, sir! We're pinned down! They're in the ****ing trees!
                        Calm down, son. I'll get you a fire mission ASAP. Smoke'll be first.
                        Lieutenant's dead, radio man's dead. I don't know where the map is.
                        They're all around us - hundreds! I can hear 'em talking gook.
                        OK, now spot that smoke and tell me where to shift. Calm down, son.
                        We'll get you out. Tell me where the rounds hit. Over.
                        Three Alpha Six, how about those rounds, son? Can you adjust fire? Over.
                        Three Alpha Six, if you can't talk, son, just key your handset twice. Over.
                        We'll just change it a bit to apply to Project reality:
                        Bravo Three, Bravo Six. Send me a key pad. Over.
                        I can't, sir! We're pinned down! They're in the ****ing trees! I think its the blue mob.
                        Calm down, son. I'll get you an area attack ASAP. Use your signal smoke, have you even read the manual for Christ's sake?
                        Squad leaders dead, medics dead. I don't even know what key I chose in the settings to bring up the map.
                        They're all around us - hundreds! I can hear 'em saying, "Thanks mate, next ones on me".
                        OK, now spot that FOB and tell me where to drop the area attack. Calm down, son.
                        We'll get you out. Tell me where the rounds hit. Over.
                        Three Alpha Six, how about those rounds, son? Can you at least get into the proper Mumble channel. Your still in the waiting room for ****'s sake.
                        Three Alpha Six, if you can't talk, son, just hit your Mumble key twice or type it in team chat. Over.
                        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

solution: COMMANDER

bad thing that in the last time no one wants to play co.

| | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Riffraffselbow View Post
                            Just nod if you can hear me.

Wrong song Riffraff... that's "Is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at all?" -COmfortably numb

Where as "is there anybody out there?" x4 = Is there anybody out there then spine tingling tune

;)

Comment

im still trying to figure out mumble.

you have the button to talk to people next you and a button to talk to other squadleaders right? sometimes i hear people loud and clear that arent near me when im in the normal team channel.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X