The Convoy and Blob Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Convoy and Blob Thread

Its awesome, its handy, its dandy, its a blob! Its smexy, its a convoy!

A new popular strategy I see lately is the use of infantry blobs and armor convoys. I have had a change in heart about these, because I was watching classic war movies and I see how in real life, they are used so damn often. PR is reality based so technically, convoys are as real as things get when mobilizing.

I want to see more of these, for if done correctly, they can be the best teamwork and funnest rounds ever with CO and all that stuff.

So welcome to the Convoy and Blob Thread, feel free to post anything relating to the topic, whether it be ideas, strategies, concepts, pros and cons, or a shout out about how awesome or horrific they are.

__________________________________________________ _______________

My take, they are awesome on one single condition, one single killer condition, one so single that its single as single can singly be!

*everyone needs to be on mumble or close com. with everyone else, everyone must know whats happening, and everyone must be sharp.

Concept here is that stragglers always get picked off. If you have full squad straggling, then they get taken out, the CO will divert resources to rescue them which causes more casualties.

They must be objective based, a Kashan convoy of tanks north of the bunkers killing crap won't help in the overall goal.

Everyone needs to know what the fire conditions are, if your trying to sneak a blob to counter flank, and some boy is shooting a saw in the air, then your position is compromised.

Keep moving, stop and your dead, all of you.

Don't forget the power of a single saw... or APC etc.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

***having said how much potential they can be do i recommend it, not really. They don't work, because the above will never happen. You can't count of 32 people to all follow the requirements. As a result they will just look like a mob of random people that are non objective. Plus toss in mortar factors and the 1 unpredicted Bradley in the mountain and it can all go down the drain.

So the conclusion for me is that, they are:

+ Cool, just efing cool, cool to see a line of tanks
    - are they productive, no, do they win games, not really.

bottom line, cool but ineffective.
    Last edited by csxgamerz; 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM.
    csxgamerz

Re: The Convoy and Blob Thread

Reminds me of Whole Team Envoys Don't Work
    |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
    sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
    I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

A "blob" is something that lacks coordination and organization. IMO blobs are annoying, time-consuming, and not as effective as people think.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

A blob isn't that effectice like you said because it is just people following the leader and shooting and reiveing a lot. But if you have a well cooridanated convoy or few squads wmoving together it is much more than a blob and can do much more. So for me if the convoy is well organized, knows its final mission(not sit in hills and get kills but to actually cap or get a cache) than they can be extrememly effective and move almost as fast as a solo nit if people don't waste time.

So the bottom line is, to get a very good convoy to work you need a lot of coordination, planning and people knowing what their jobs are. If everyone is just moving in the same dirrection and looking the same way than it fails.
        |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

I think we need a Musket Blob night.

Shotguns (breaching slug) only, must walk in box formation, and firing must be done in volleys. If anyone is caught leaving or not in the blob, they are to be shot on sight.

For real, though, blobs are useless. Coordinated infantry sweeps, however, are an entirely different thing; best done with 3 infantry squads, max, covering a large area and supporting/being supported by friendly heavy assets.

In example, on Muttrah 3 infantry squads pushing down separate streets to consistently push the enemy back while the APC/IFV helps to keep them out of extreme harm can work quite nicely; those same three squads flopping around the street and the APCs trying to run past the infantry because they are tanks does not.

Comment

I think cougar was working on an event like that but I'm not sure what happened to it.
            Last edited by chrisweb89; 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM.
            |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Blobs are dumb

Not every time people work togther is it a blob
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

PR is based on Squad Leaders developing and implimenting squad level plans. A Commander helps to coordinate that, but the game is based on squad level execution and squad level organization.

The blob is nothing but a bunch of blue guys mobbing a point. It is not a stratedgy.

I like squad rally ability for that reason - gives power to the SL.

Mobility and flexability are key to success in PR.

T
                sigpic

Comment

gamerz maybe from the air or a tank position far away it looks like a blob to you

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                  Not every time people work togther is it a blob
                  But up close, or from the squad members point of view it can actually be a diamond formation, line formation, wedge formation etc.

Nothing is wrong with convoys.....its how equipment/personnel gets from place to place, in 2003 M1A2/A1's didn't reach Baghdad on their own, nor did they travel alone..tactical convoy's is how stuff gets done.

Insurgent's don't like convoys on insurgency maps because "it takes too long" well, it takes too long because bluefor has all the time it wants to tactically get the caches, obtain intel, and target those who need to be targeted. Blufor as it is shown every round have shown that the convoy system works because insurgents get antsy and that's when they make their mistakes...which are costly.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

lol unleash ur anger on the blob haha

i agree with u randy, but the thing is that, its just so hard to do anything like that in PR. The convoy I have seen so far involves good overall execution, but unlike real life, you dont have a "overlord" watching over with satellite and what not. I too would move in a convoy if i knew i could get prenotice from thermal scan of insurgents hiding in a building.

Obviously the military isn't too exact but its better than a 10 min uav we get.

And i have yet to see a diamond formation, I was in one the other day and it was those who want kills go in front, medics in back, people who were busy afk were stragglers, and SLs were talking about pie and cake lol.

But yeah, *everything ever discussed has potential, its just no executable.
                    csxgamerz

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                      But up close, or from the squad members point of view it can actually be a diamond formation, line formation, wedge formation etc.
                      What a load of crap. Formations and the bf2 engine simply do not work. Maybe if you have enough dedicated players, you could try very loose formations (I know I have done this on a 6 man level with a bunch of devils), but there has never been a blob that actually uses formations. There is simply not enough situational awareness with the bf2 engine (specifically lack of free-look and lack of periphals) to actually achieve complicated formations. Besides, whenever there is a blob, it's really just a social pow-wow in which no-one actually gives a damn about tactics or teamwork.

Comment

Formations are for those who want to play dress up and use "oscar mike" more than they use the word "the."

I'm too busy capping flags and contributing to the team rather than wrangle large groups of people into "formations" that deteriorate as soon as it hits the fan.

Large amounts of people can easily be coordinated, it just takes a bit of understanding and tact to make it so. To successfully coordinate 12+ players, you need to realize several things:

1. Do I need this many players on my team for this objective?
                        2. Would it be more effective to have the other players in a different location
                        3. Are we at any advantage with this many players on one objective?

Guile will trump force, even in this day and age in PR. 2 Guys can decimate entire squads if they think clearly before the trigger is pulled. 2 Guys can cause the enemy team more tickets than every other squad combined, if they play their cards right.

Then again, the lonewolf 2 guys may just be a waste of breath and time. They may just give the enemy important information, or even worse, an important kit like a HAT. Those 2 guys may also just be turds who only have a fascination with roleplaying Soap and Price from CoD MW2, and may not know the damndest thing about tactics or PR in general. Their IQ's combined may only total 83, which, by legality, is retarded.

But, such is life.

EDIT: on the "social pow-wow"

The thing some of the eager players new to our community must understand is that just because someone is leading a blob and is popular does not mean they know what they are doing. Another thing they must realize is that just because you have 24 people in the same area on the map does not mean you're working together, or that the squads are really any good.

But I think google is correct in his assessment. There are players, who rightfully so, are popular with many players on the server. But just because XX player is on mumble "coordinating" the other squads (as I like to call it) does not mean their idea is GOOD and that you should follow it. Unless they're commander, or they desperately will need your help, you are not obligated to help them in their quest for glory in A1K1 to destroy an enemy bush enroute to a flag. You may better serve your team fullfilling in a direct approach or simple harassment rather than be part of the flock.

If anyone attacks this for being "against teamwork" (Which seems to happen quite a bit these days) ask yourself if you're a leader or a follower. Follower's are great and all, but at the end of the day in PR it's usually the decisions of the SL's that decide the fate of objectives and assets; His squad is his hammer in the blacksmith business of PR - shaping the field of battle one swing at a time. Whether or not the final mold is really all that great is not solely judged by "did we win?" but "what did this squad contribute to the team and what can WE do better next time..."
                        Last edited by Skud; 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM.
                        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                          Blufor as it is shown every round have shown that the convoy system works because insurgents get antsy and that's when they make their mistakes...which are costly.
                          It also ushers in a much higher chance of "Blob Syndrome" in which a force take on, as a group, an air of infallible invincibility, because of phrases like "Strength in Numbers". I cannot count the number of times that I have seen 25+ man blobs rush headlong into an enemy fortification because they genuinely believe that bringing enough people to the fight will overcome any obstacle, only to get butchered (and then over-run because they left 2 guys on defense). It also makes the best targets for a patient and competent big red driver! Personal best: 2 fully loaded Warriors, a scimi, the challenger, and a landy ;)

Comment

On Armor convoys: I have nothing against it if you want to take a bunch of tanks together and run around as a big convoy together. Just don't try to guilt me in to joining you. When I run armor, I run a single tank/apc/whatever in it's own, locked, 2-man squad. I work best this way. I may join you at times (by proximity, not joining your squad), but don't be surprised if I go running off.

If there's a squad bug, or if it really seems like we're running out of squad slots, or if a commander insists, I'll merge, but otherwise I'm just not a multi-asset guy. The comms get too crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffraffselbow View Post
                              On Armor convoys: I have nothing against it if you want to take a bunch of tanks together and run around as a big convoy together. Just don't try to guilt me in to joining you. When I run armor, I run a single tank/apc/whatever in it's own, locked, 2-man squad. I work best this way. I may join you at times (by proximity, not joining your squad), but don't be surprised if I go running off.

If there's a squad bug, or if it really seems like we're running out of squad slots, or if a commander insists, I'll merge, but otherwise I'm just not a multi-asset guy. The comms get too crazy.
                              mumble.
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...