Learn to fly with keyboard and mouse.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn to fly with keyboard and mouse.

Are there any good guides on how to learn to fly jets and helicopters with mouse and keyboard ?

Re: Learn to fly with keyboard and mouse.

I'm not aware of any but practice is always great. When a map is on that I don't like, I fire up local server and run imaginary missions dropping crates, landing on slopes and firing hydras. It can get lonely but you end up finding the quickest and safest routes while getting used to the control scheme.

Haikus are easy.
    But sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator.

Comment

I've no experience with the jets myself, but helicopters are quite easy to fly with the mouse with a bit of practise. The main thing to remember is that you should GO EASY on the controls. Overcorrecting on a helicopter WILL crash the vehicle almost without fail, since once you lose control you'll rarely have enough time to regain it. Certain vehicles are very bad for this. A slight twitch of the mouse is enough for most manoeuvres... or, it should be if you've got the sensitivity set high enough. If you don't, then the occasion when you need to make a rapid pitch change (common when you're trying to start or stop forward momentum) will find you only tipping slightly and not going much of anywhere.

All in all, practise is best. Find a training server and fly the suckers all over the place. Find out what kinds of moves are safe and what kinds will send you careening into a cliff face (hint: be very wary when rolls are involved, especially at low speeds) and figure out what it will take to make a good landing... even a slow, shakey one. Practise will speed it up later.

Comment

I use a joystick for flying jets
        but I've always been flying choppers with mouse and keyboard.

Practise Practise Practise :)
        the first tries will fail, but it gets better
        It took me a good two weeks to be completely confident with the LB for example,
        try locals and training server first since you can't really mess up anything.
        When you feel totally confident at what you are doing give it a try on TG.
        keep in mind though: standars are high ;)
        |TGXV|STeaLthBananaaa

sigpic

We snipe the TG way

Comment

Play around with the sensitivity settings for jets and choppers in pr to find whats best for you. Try low first, learn to hover then set it to high and go for evasive manouvers and fancy stuff. Fly around on a local server and test the limits of the aircraft by doing crazy things, like flying upside down with the huey or flipping back the littlebird. Do everything you wouldnt dare in a normal round to know how far you can go.
          Most important thing is hovering and landing, the rest is easy, just practice a lot.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo13 View Post
            Are there any good guides on how to learn to fly jets and helicopters with mouse and keyboard ?
            As far as I know, there are no guides to flying with M&K.

However, I will impart you with my knowledge the best I can, since I've never owned a joystick, and still fly frequently... some of these will be some basic tips, and may even seem like a step back if you fly otherwise, but nonetheless they are good things to practice if you've not used a M&K to fly before.

HELICOPTERS:

1) This is the best piece of overall advice I can give you: Lower your ingame helicopter sensitivity. Go into Options, Controls, Helicopters, and down where it says "Sensitivity" knock it back significantly... 2.0 is a good value. Don't ramp up your sensitivity elsewhere to make up for it, just do it.

This will get you more into the mindset of what I like to consider "UNDER-correction". Since your sensitivity is nearly halved, you'll have to put a lot more effort into correcting your flight pattern, and have plenty of leeway room in which to do so without overcorrecting. In the converse, you'll have to work harder to fix an overcorrection (another incentive not to over correct at ALL).

Once you get comfortable with doing ALL of your runs at that sensitivity, feel free to ramp the sensitivity back to 2.5 (Honestly, I'd suggest against the default value of 3.0, it's a bit blah when it comes to PR's helicopter flight model).

2) Things to practice:
            -Taking off on flat ground, and quickly getting into motion along a low altitude path.
            Yeah, it may seem like a step back, but you'll want to know how to do this quickly in the middle of fire. Pick a map with a large expanse of road or flat ground, land gently, and then when you're ready lift off and tilt forward without gaining much altitude, and just keep your motion smooth as you move forward.

-Taking off on uneven ground, righting yourself, and then getting into motion.
            Find a somewhat shallow slope. It should be 30 degrees or less of an incline. Land on it, nose up the hill. Hold steady on it, then put on some throttle and steady the helicopter by pulling the nose down after lifting off. Immediately turn with your rotor, and move along a low altitude.

-Landing skid.
            An essential skill: Landing from forward motion. The trick is to come in at a shallow angle about 30m before the desired LZ. When reaching the 30m mark, you should be less than 15m from the ground. Pull back, use S sparingly, and have your back skids grind along the ground before leveling the craft and finishing the slide (you can "brake" by holding S when on the ground and leveled out, allowing you to control how far you slide).

-Basic low-altitude flight
            Take some time to just ignore the landings and taking off, and just fly close to the ground. 10m is great, 20m is alright; the closer you can be without (a) smacking into trees/buildings (b) having to pull up drastically to avoid the aforementioned objects (c) having to bob and weave around said objects. Just enjoy the flight, spend some time sticking low.

-Advanced low-alt
            Now, create yourself a feasible mission. Pick a flat LZ, fly to it from the base (comfortably). Once there, land in whatever manner appropriate, and then fly as close to the ground (bobbing and weaving, but never hitting or having to 'brake' to avoid objects) to avoid enemy fire/AA lock. The more trees you can hide your lase box behind, the better. Don't worry about flares, it's just a hypothetical scenario.

JETS:

Now, honestly, it's a pain in the butt to fly a fighter jet with a M&K. However, bombers are my personal favorite anyway, and you should be able to handle them just fine.

First off, make sure you have both the arrow keys and your mouse axises bound to the pitch/roll entries. The reason for this is the mouse is good while flying (sensitivity, control, and overall more alertness is available), but the keyboard is much better to line up a textbook landing.

Default controls are alright, though sensitivity is much more of a personal thing than it is a necessary change-find what fits you properly... if you like fighters more, chances are you want a high sensitivity. If you like bombers, you'll probably want a low/med sens.

Other than that, it's relatively simple fare-mess with your dives, play around with your munitions: AGM, the one with the box and huge crosshairs, is good to swoop out of the clouds with and lock on similarly to how the Laser Targeted Missiles do on a helicopter gunner's cam. Bombs must be dropped roughly 800m up and 800m out from target (get a marker on target, stay above 800 altitude, and drop when the marker shows a value roughly at 800 (the closer to 800, the better; sooner as opposed to later).

Cliche moment: Practice x3.

Good luck.

Comment

I agree with the above posts; namely, practice is key.

I spent months practicing on localserver with my joystick. Doing mission runs over and over is great. Just keep practicing those landings.

Also, expect to get harassed as soon as you start flying live. You will at some point roll over on an imperceptibly sloped landing zone, or clip a building with your tail, or get shot down through flares.
              |TG-6th|Belhade
              "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Actually I completely disagree with Celestial.

Leave in-game sensitivity at default but ramp up the sensitivity elsewhere as high as it will go. This will make it much easier to pull out of dives on hydrahueys, easier to bank and evade missiles, and easier to fly through tight confines.

Don't use low sensitivity as a crutch for learning. Practice at the level you'll be using when actually flying (The more sensitive the better).

When dropping troops at LZs, DON'T LAND the vehicle, hover it at a tiny bit above the ground and hit 'bail out'.

Don't ever risk your chopper by landing it unless it's an absolutely perfectly flat surface with nothing around.

Comment

Forget training servers, load a local game and practice there. Once you get used to how it should actually fly, then go online and get used to lag delays. Flying without a ping really helps get used to how the vehicle is supposed to handle.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

A few days ago I flew my first CAS. It was on Muttrah and no one was doing the Cobra squad, so Google and me loaded one up. Take in mind. I never flew CAS before, and I mean never. I never even practiced. I just hopped into the chopper and flew the sucker. After shooting a few Hellfires at a Firebase I made my first ever strafing run. I got 1 kill and I was happiest person on the server. We rearmed and flew back to north of North City and immediately got shot down by a HAT/AA. At that moment I became my normal angry self and swore off CAS...For another week.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                      A few days ago I flew my first CAS. It was on Muttrah and no one was doing the Cobra squad, so Google and me loaded one up. Take in mind. I never flew CAS before, and I mean never. I never even practiced. I just hopped into the chopper and flew the sucker. After shooting a few Hellfires at a Firebase I made my first ever strafing run. I got 1 kill and I was happiest person on the server. We rearmed and flew back to north of North City and immediately got shot down by a HAT/AA. At that moment I became my normal angry self and swore off CAS...For another week.
                      hahaha :)

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

Im certainly not a great pilot, but my approach while training was to set the sensitivity to around 6 (heh, maybe this is the reason). This way you need very small adjustments to change directions for evasions etc. As infantry and ground vehicles I have sensitivity around 3 for comparison.

As people here have said, practice on local or training servers. Local is good for learning the map altitudes and so forth. Just pick random spots from the map and try to make crate runs to the locations. At training server you might get lucky and have someone practice AA stuff against you (all thought you might as well find a fellow who likes blow up every chopper in your main). After local its a good idea to find an empty live server, as snooggums said, with a ping as close to the one you usually end up playing (mines usually around 150, which makes flying painfull on somedays/maps) to get used to lag issues.

And be very afraid of "There is a problem with your connection" -issues... :(

Im not even going to comment on jets...
                        [S7]Hablos
                        Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
                          Actually I completely disagree with Celestial.

Leave in-game sensitivity at default but ramp up the sensitivity elsewhere as high as it will go. This will make it much easier to pull out of dives on hydrahueys, easier to bank and evade missiles, and easier to fly through tight confines.

Don't use low sensitivity as a crutch for learning. Practice at the level you'll be using when actually flying (The more sensitive the better).

When dropping troops at LZs, DON'T LAND the vehicle, hover it at a tiny bit above the ground and hit 'bail out'.

Don't ever risk your chopper by landing it unless it's an absolutely perfectly flat surface with nothing around.
                          High sensitivity is a scourge upon gamers, and on all computer users.

You see, the reason DPI should be used is to not make you more or less precise, but simply to offer a better alternative to the default OS sensitivity controls. The OS controls, as well as any other "sensitivity" slider, should be left at the default (middle) value.

The reason for this is because when you ramp up the sensitivity your computer is guessing where you're trying to move your mouse, and simply throws the pointer a number of DPI away, and repeats this. Or, more accurately, it is moving the mouse farther using less DPI (if you have 800 dpi mouse, you've got 800 dpi at default... when you ramp up the sensitivity, you're now stretching the measures and you've now got 800 dots per X inches.)

This means jagged movement of the mouse, and it isn't precise as using default values and using an adjustable DPI to get a smoother track.

I'm recounting this all from memory during my first hours of waking, so I may have some information misconstrued, but the idea is proper (If I can find the article again, I'll link it). Go ramp up your sensitivity to max, and use the pencil to draw a word in MS Paint. Pull it back down to default, and do it again, and compare the two, and you should find that the first word looks like it was drawn with an etch-a-sketch.

Also, starting off on low sensitivity smacks it in your head to not over correct things. I've been told I'm one of the smoothest pilots people have had. I use my adjustable DPI to change my pull speed when flying to properly account for whatever I need, and I usually fly with a relatively low sensitivity (because I prefer to swing my mouse around a little bit, maybe it's just me, but I prefer having that sort of control).

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo13 View Post
                            I fly only with a joystick. I highly reccomend learning that, as in the long run, although harder to master, it is more fluid and flexible than with the mouse (my opinion).
                            sigpic

Comment

Sensitivity when flying jets is ok as it is on default. For I find that using the arrow keys etc is pretty good for just flying and i usually shift to mouse for the attack run. I agree with celes that theory about how if a sensitivity is too high, OS just makes up what it thinks your doing. Yes sensitivity may allow u to pull out of a dive better but the question is what will it pull you out into? A upside down position into a mountain?

Personally, I don't recommend that you look at any guides or youtube videos. There's alot of technical BS such as 50 percent throttle and etc. A pilot becomes so worried about textbook flying that enemies tear them apart. Practice is all you need and you will soon get a feel of what you have to do.

Also, a word to fellow pilots, even if you know how to fly, you may not. Its one thing to know how to take off, go forward, and land. Its another thing to know the smart route and the evasion maneuvers.

This is PR, not reality. In real life you can do things in choppers you can't do in PR. So practice to see what is just like the "movies" and what is the BF2 engine.

Doing "blackhawk down" and "We were once soldiers" style CAS is not as effective in many maps.
                              csxgamerz

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X