Pretty frustrating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty frustrating

I've been playing as "MrBlueOrange" for the past 2 or 3 nights. I just came back to BF2 and TG after years of absence. I used to be a paying member and thought I'd see how things were since the 1.5 patch. I'm so disappointed.

SLs and fellow SMs seem generally unwilling to allow any flexibility in player skillset. I have, on occassion been berated, ignored, and tonight, kicked from a squad. It would seem I was kicked for no apparent reason other than that I couldn't get into a transport helicopter at the begginging of Kashan Desert. I was asked by the SL to get into an APC, and so tried to make my way to one. One driven by one of the SMs was already driving off into the distance. I was subsquently kicked from the squad.

It would seem that this community is on the surface open to any and anyone for purposes of team-based gameplay. My experience over the last 3 nights has been that of a community so entrenched in itself that would not welcome a new player beyond the cursory "Hey", regardless of his/her ability and understanding of the game.

You guys understand that PR is completely different from BF2. Players trying to transition from one game to the next are hardly given a good induction to the new game types. The PR manual is out-of-date and only scratches the surface of the mod. I have no idea or understanding of the Command and Control game type. So please excuse my ignorance. In that sense, it would be helpful to new players such as myself that you excuse, rather than refuse our attempt to play alongside you.

Thanks.

Hans

Re: Pretty frustrating

Yeah, as a newbie to PR, I also encountered that. One squad was fairly exasperated and whiny that I had no clue what I was doing as medic. :)

Then again, another squad was open and friendly and gave me quick tips about everything, down to the smallest "you're a noob!" questions like how to get into vehicles and such.

Can't say that the split between "know what you're doing or gtfo!" and "hey, dude, come and play and chiiiillllllll" seems even, though. :(

Thoughts from the playerbase?

Comment

some squad leaders take the game way too seriously and you cant tell in their attitude and voice that it is kind of a power trip for them. i just try to avoid those squads and find other people to play with.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

The problem that I see most frequently with new players is that while they like to come in the forums and gripe about the learning curve and the hugh differences between vbf2 and PR, they dont take the time to read the manual when they download and install the mod.

The PR manual, if read, will make you FAR less of a "noob" when you join. You'll know how the play systems work. You'll understand the commo rose. You'll know how to enter and exit vehicles. You'll know the basics of each class. The manual is VERY thorough and the guys who developed the game worked very hard to make it so. They also included a singleplayer gameset, as well as a training mode, both of which are also discussed in the manual.

So in essence, there is NO reasonable excuse for walking on to ANY pr server as a fresh off the turnip truck player. You have the comprehensive reading to learn from. You have two game modes to practice in. If you come in with that kind of knowledge in your pocket, nobody is going to bag on you for asking questions. But if you join up and your first question is "how do i get in a vehicle", you might be facing a different tune. The only reason that happens is because people fail to use the knowledge that is given to them freely before asking questions.

That being said, I have no problem whatsoever helping out new players. I welcome new players into my squad. But I expect them to be able to mostly keep the pace. If I have to keep stopping what I'm doing and holding up the action every 2 minutes to play 20 questions, then yeah, its going to damage my calm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          The problem that I see most frequently with new players is that while they like to come in the forums and gripe about the learning curve and the hugh differences between vbf2 and PR, they dont take the time to read the manual when they download and install the mod.
          Thanks for the reply Ferris. I take your point and I fully understand that reading the manual is required. I don't "like to come in to the forums and complain". Far, far from it. I really didn't want to bitch about it.

I value the little time that I have to play this game; it's in my interest to read about, practice (when possible) and understand it so I can maximise my enjoyment of it when I do get to play.

I've made every effort to acquire and learn information about PR in the last 3 days but I'm obviously going to lack skills that come with experience. Having said that, there is no reason to be hostile to a new player or kick them from a squad because they couldn't make it to the transport in time.

Comment

Oh, dont get me wrong hans, I wasnt pointing fingers at you. We just get a lot of threads where people complain about similar things and when people ask them if they've read the manual, the typical response is "theres a manual?" even though a shortcut to it installs on their desktop when they install the game.

And remember, EVERYONE has the power to help police the server. So if you feel someone is being disrespectful or abusive without any kind of provocation, let an admin know. They may not get banned or anything, but they'll probably get a talking to.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you were treated like this. For starting PR I don't know if you did these things and they are just a general guide:

1) Play infantry only for a while until you get to know the maps and the basics of the game when doing infantry try to stick with normal rifleman get the basics of being a grunt.

2) As soon as you join a squad tell them that you are new to PR, and ask that they go easy on you and try to explain things to you. Most SLs and SMs will be gald to help but sometimes there may be times when the squad isn't able to help you and are busy doing what is easy for them but hard for you, an example would be a sneaky, or stealth squad that needs things done quickly and efficiently, and it is very hard to do that and explain.
              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Honestly it depends on the new player's feedback as to how well they will be taught in game. I'd say it goes like this 90% of the time on the TG server (kicked meaning from the squad):

If they are silent, then they just seem non-responsive and will most likely be kicked.
                If they don't know the absolute basics (choppers need to warm up, only marked flags can be taken, requesting kits before asking the SL) they will often be warned and then kicked if they don't comply.
                If they run off on their own, then when the SL tells them to do something they whine that they don't know what to do they will get kicked.

If the new person says they are new when they join the squad the SL will keep it in mind.
                If the new person asks questions (like where is the chopper on this map?, where is the entrance on this vehicle?) that aren't answered in the manual then they will get a short and clear answer such as a move marker, description or other instruction.
                If the new person complies with any request such as dropping a request kit they will most likely get more instructions as the game goes on because they are willing to learn.

The other 10% of the time the SL might have no patience for new players, might be a jerk or might not give the player a chance to say they are new. It happens, but not that often. I would guess you just got unlucky.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I think quite a few of our more respected squad leaders seem to forget most of the time that the point of the game is to have fun. They take it waaaay too seriously and get pissy if everything doesn't go exactly the way they want. They have no flexibility and aren't very fun to play with, mostly fill their squads with people they know, and they kick people that aren't up to their incredible standards.

Don't take one or two SLs as an example of the entire community. That's not the way we all are.

(Really the only reason I kick from my squad is if someone is a griefer or does not have a microphone)

Comment

I never really had the harsh noob expierience that alot of PR players had. The first server I played on was TG and I was welcomed as a noob and you guys taught me the ropes. Its been a year since then and I rarely play anywhere alse :)

Comment

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
                      I think quite a few of our more respected squad leaders seem to forget most of the time that the point of the game is to have fun. They take it waaaay too seriously and get pissy if everything doesn't go exactly the way they want. They have no flexibility and aren't very fun to play with, mostly fill their squads with people they know, and they kick people that aren't up to their incredible standards.
                      Some people have fun by playing seriously. They just might not be a good fit for newer or less disciplined players.
                      |TG-6th|Belhade
                      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

There's a difference between someone who plays seriously and someone who gets bent out of shape when he dies once or twice and ragequits.

But yeah, OP: Just squad up with a load of different people until you find someone with the playing style you're looking for. A great thing about TacticalGamer is that we have quite a wide variety of those :)

Comment

I remember spending 2 or 3 weeks playing only on training servers to get used to the game. I still can't shoot very straight, but I think I gained the necessary skills to avoid being called a noob. I've never had a problem like that, even with major screw-ups, like throwing the grapple hook down the waterfalls at Archer, Startrekern was my SL, don't know if he remembers, but he was very open and comprehensive to my temporary noobness.

I get your point though, there's some guys that just take it way too seriously.

In-Game: |TG-Irr|Dreves

Comment

Don't take one or two SLs as an example of the entire community. That's not the way we all are.

(Really the only reason I kick from my squad is if someone is a griefer or does not have a microphone)
                            Let me just remind everyone that this is an extreme minority, I have met very few TG'ers that do what Startrekern describes that aren't dealt with or find that this is not the place for them. Most prominent TG SL's are more then welcome to work with new and unexperienced players. If someone is treating other players unfairly then they need to be brought to the attention of the admins.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

There's a difference between someone who plays seriously and someone who gets bent out of shape when he dies once or twice and ragequits.

But yeah, OP: Just squad up with a load of different people until you find someone with the playing style you're looking for. A great thing about TacticalGamer is that we have quite a wide variety of those :)
                              Since HansBrix didn't mention the particular SL by name, why are you assuming it is one of the more respected SLs at TG that did this? And if you're just using this opportunity to take a swipe at a player you don't like, why not just send them a pm instead of adding some unnecessarily hostility to the forums?

You know what they say about when you assume things, right?

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X