My PR Airborne Enigma.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PR Airborne Enigma.

I often times will bounce back to my memories of the golden days of playing Bf2V. back in 2005 and remind myself of the paratrooper days.

I would be on Mashtuur City as SL flying the BH. Have one engineer, repairing inside and fly far above the objectives so my remaining squadies could steadily drop/respawn in chopper and drop again. It was a good way to put pressure on a flag without going over open ground.

Alas the game went from being mediocre to complete rubbish. <insert 2 years of CSsource and WOW>

Then I hear about PR! And found my BF2 install discs.

And how great it has truly been.

But why.. why is it so against paratroops. Quinling.. Kashan.. any of these would be great maps to be able to ready a para insertion. What is the history behind para and PR? I after all have only played since May of 2009. Pre.86 were there ever squads that could be dropped in?

The way I imagine it now is, a squad has a pre-placed set of crates, everyone gets pilot kits and flys above location and drops from 700-1000m. But boy does that sound like a lot of risk and trouble.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Re: My PR Airborne Enigma.

Because it doesn't work well with the gameplay and isn't very realistic. Instead of having properly coordinated battles you had people spamming pilot kits in enemy territory. In fact they were going to give spec-ops guys parachutes I believe and someone here said something to help them change their minds... :p

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by TomKing View Post
      The way I imagine it now is, a squad has a pre-placed set of crates, everyone gets pilot kits and flys above location and drops from 700-1000m. But boy does that sound like a lot of risk and trouble.
      Never seen this happen since they took away pilot pistols.

It's just so much easier (and more realistic in modern warfare) for the soldiers to simply be dropped directly onto the ground by a chopper. Less gear, less spread of troops on landing and much better organization. PR is supposed to represent clashing forces, not special ops.

I do wish they had some special ops game play, but it would be hard to force the majority of players into the 'cannon fodder for special forces' roles. Of course if a map that was appropriate for parachuting forces was included into the mod then parachute kits would be easy to implement.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I'll take a different approach: I think para-dropping troops into a combat zone is entirely realistic. However, this is where the game and reality take a different path.

Kits: A parachute eats up a weapon slot. What weapon do you want to surrender in order to get a parachute? Your bandage? You incendiary? Your shovel? Your binocs? Additionally, your parachute will always be with you, so cool things that are so realistic, like base-jumping off a 1-story building, will always be just as prevalent in PR as they are in vBF2. Yeah, the DEVs could code your parachute to have to be rearmed, but see the above statement for the abuses.

So no thanks, I'd rather sacrifice the "gamey" abuses of the parachute and leave the game as-is.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

The current 'you must have the chute open for 30 seconds before landing or die' system makes the base jumping worry moot :)
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
            The current 'you must have the chute open for 30 seconds before landing or die' system makes the base jumping worry moot :)
            Imagine the laughs we could have if people forgot about that though!

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
              Imagine the laughs we could have if people forgot about that though!
              The last attempt at an airdrop I was in (a while ago) involved a SL who didn't understand the amount of damage we would take from a low drop combined with bad planning on squad member's parts so his plan to have a crate to heal from when we landed was utter fail.

One of the sm's spawned with a medic kit and then requested their pilot kit before I noticed. The crate was in place and the pilot dropped us at the squad leader's advised altitude (don't remember exactly). I hit the chute the moment I left the chopper and the rest of the squad fell a bit then pulled. I hit the ground at about 20 seconds (maybe less) and had the blood effect and heavy breathing. Since we were dropped right above the crate marker I knew to fly away and back since parachutes don't go straight down. I landed about 15m from the crate, so I hauled my butt to the crate and requested a medic kit...
              Kit not available due to squad limitations
              [cursing without pressing the mic button]
              I bandage up and request a new kit, try to bandage as best possible.
              I check my map:
              The SL is dead. He didn't believe my 30 second warning.
              The guy who was medic was injured and insisted he could make the distance (like 200m) to the crate. He didn't, but it took forever. No medic during this time.
              The other 3 guys were scattered pretty well, with one corpse next to the crate.
              Medic finally dies in view.
              I convince him to give up and release the medic kit, just as a enemy light vehicle rolls up and wastes me on the crate. I'm guessing they watched us land because 20 seconds of parachuting will be spotted by enemies.

Haven't seen a paradrop since :)
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FXSnoy71Q4[/MEDIA]

Comment

Kits: A parachute eats up a weapon slot. What weapon do you want to surrender in order to get a parachute? Your bandage? You incendiary? Your shovel? Your binocs? Additionally, your parachute will always be with you, so cool things that are so realistic, like base-jumping off a 1-story building, will always be just as prevalent in PR as they are in vBF2. Yeah, the DEVs could code your parachute to have to be rearmed, but see the above statement for the abuses.
                  Out of curiosity would a new unlimited paratrooper kit from crates be possible. I mean certain classes don't have incendiary, shovel or what have you. And it is obvious that a new class made with an airborne specialty bends the realism of the diversity of the entire airborne division. But meh... is it even possible?

There are a lot of pros and even more cons to the parachute question. But its good to learn about the history of why the game has molded into what it is today.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

My paratrooper kit:
                    Knife
                    Shovel
                    Rifle
                    Grenades
                    Binocs
                    Bandage
                    Parachute

So I would trade ammo for the chute myself if the rifleman kit is already 'maxed out'. Doe the class matter for how many slots they have available or do all have 9 or 10?
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDO21UU5LU[/media]

Comment

Proof of Concept video above.

Originally intended to be implemented in the 0.9 release map "Silent Eagle", it was scrapped until further refining to the system is made. I believe the verdict was that the flight path was predictable, meaning that OpFor on the ground could easily defend drop points, making gameplay for those spawning above undesirable.

Comment

Actually, I find the tactic similar to Snoogumms' story to be quiet effective on the 4KM maps for infantry. Of course, one ought to never drop in a hot zone, but if an inf squad wants to set up somewhere quickly, a chopper ride, dropped crate, and pilot kits tend to be quiet effective. Not to mention you don't have to worry about pilot skill or being heard/traced by the enemy.

Not to mention it looks totally badass.

Comment

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FXSnoy71Q4[/MEDIA]
                            LOL!

Originally posted by google View Post
                            Actually, I find the tactic similar to Snoogumms' story to be quiet effective on the 4KM maps for infantry. Of course, one ought to never drop in a hot zone, but if an inf squad wants to set up somewhere quickly, a chopper ride, dropped crate, and pilot kits tend to be quiet effective. Not to mention you don't have to worry about pilot skill or being heard/traced by the enemy.

Not to mention it looks totally badass.
                            I don't know because I never tried it in PR; wouldn't dropping a crate from a high altitude destroy it in PR?
                            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Paradropping in Silent Eagle, PR 0.9, is CONFIRMED

Source: [media]http://realitymodfiles.com/ancient/09mapoverviews/#095.jpg[/media]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X