0.9 suggested settings - old rig - new rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0.9 suggested settings - old rig - new rig

Right, from what I can gather many of us are suffering a bit with lag and frame rate issues. For me on my current rig and settings some maps are unplayable at times. Current rig is 2.42 dual core Athlon, HD4870 512 MB gfx card, getting near single fig frame rates at times, audio lag and all sorts. Does anyone have a similar rig and if so what settings are providing you with the most playable experience?

Secondly, my new rig arrives next week. Intel I5 750 quad overclocked to 3.8Ghz, Win 7 64, 4GB of 1600mhz RAM, Radeon 5870 1GB gfx card, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 32MB Cache SATA 300, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer. Does anyone have a similar set up and if so what performance can I expect?

I appreciate this perhaps belongs in the Tech forum but I would appreciate the extra exposure the main forums tends to give.

Any thoughts, suggestions, help or advice would be much appreciated chaps, I've had one excruciating night of unplayable PR so far this release and I can't cry anymore, apparently beer is not a great hydration source.

Re: 0.9 suggested settings - old rig - new rig

run everything on high and have only experienced my FPS drop below 30 in one place (northern fields on dragon fly). I have played Asad Khal, Qwai, dragon fly, Iron ridge, silent eagle, Yamalla and beirut. My specs are [email protected], radeon HD5850, 4 gigs of ram and windows XP home. I think you should be able to play with everything on high.
    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

I have the same setup as you do execpt I have 4870 1GB instead of 5870. It lags. Sometimes it drops to 30. But most of the time it's fine.

I have yet to figure it out why, but I am very disappointed with it's performance especially with all the glitchs and crashes that made me stop playing PR until some fixes arrive.

Other games are a blast to play :)

Comment

I have a better CPU(3.0 intel E6400) and worse graphics(8800gs), @ 1920X1080 I use High Geometry/Effects, X4 AA, 100% view, everything else medium. The lowest I've got so far is 25fps on some of the new maps.

I figure either overclocking your CPU would help or BF2 hates ATI cards?
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

E8500(dual core) @ 4.1ghz
          4 gb RAM
          4780x2
          Creative X-fi
          Windows 7 64-bit

First, sound, the "Creative X-fi" (enables "Very High") setting seems bugged, it takes a huge chunk from my minimum fps.
          I changed to "Hardware" and "High". I had huge performance problems like 1 year ago in FH2 because of it but it went away for some reason..

Second, I've tried changing the settings around since with all high I get huge fps drops (100-> 20) on most new maps
          and it seams setting "Terrain" to Low has fixed this on forested maps.

What the Terrain setting does is it determines how detailed trees and ground texture is from a distance. (and water, from any distance it seems)
          You will still see all the vehicles in their full splendour it's just that the trees are a bit blurry from afar.

I have yet to try on Fallujah full server though, it seemed OK on a half filled one but you newer know.
          It shouldn't make sense unless "Terrain" has to do with buildings too.

What really kills me though is the rubber banding from the server.

Comment

Before .9 came out I was running everything at a hi resolution with maxed settings and x8 AA. Sound Hardware High. Also my average ping is always 40.
            Now that .9 has arrived I get the dreaded rubberband on all maps it seems.

I have heard all kinds of wives tales about what to do to improve it by adjusting visual settings. But on the other hand I've heard it is the servers problem.
            Has any admin or PRDEV put out an official statement as to what is going on yet?
            My rig:
            Windows Vista 64bit
            Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83GHz
            8GB RAM
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - 896mb

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Originally posted by TomKing View Post
              Has any admin or PRDEV put out an official statement as to what is going on yet?
              Not that I know.
              The reason why you have heard different tales is because it's a two parted problem:
              Rubber banding: The server can't handle all the stuff going on.
              FPS drops: BF2 want's to load large amounts of data (Read: trees, building etc)
              when you look toward their direction and since the engine isn't made for so many objects it takes awhile (like 0.2 sec) so the flow of the game gets interrupted.

If BF2 was multi-threaded to begin with ( you notice this when you press print screen, everything just stops because the screen shot function must run)
              we might not have these problems. But there were no dual-cores when it came out so we can't really blame them.

EDIT:
              Being on Fools Road right now and having as good performance as before 0.9, I've got 100fps+ looking into the map from the edge...
              ...and there's ALOT of trees. :P
              Last edited by 2ClipsOneKill; 02-07-2010, 06:46 PM.

Comment

try lowering your view distance to 98% from 100.

This imporoved frame rate for me with no negitative consequience
                doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Well nice to see im not alone i had all my settings high before patch came out and now i cant even play ? keeps crashing to my desktop and when i do play lag city ? not to happy with this !

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                    try lowering your view distance to 98% from 100.

This imporoved frame rate for me with no negitative consequience
                    This improved my frame rate too. I do not have the issue with rubberbanding any longer. Excellent suggestion Cougar.
                    sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

I run a dual core 2.66 Ghz and a 275GTX, all on W7,and I have everything on high. Your I5 will blow my CPU to hell. Welcome back to FULL settings. Also, if you have ANY issues installing that or your sound card in W7 PM me, I had a few issues and will be happy to help!

I get a tiny bit of lag when I use binocs, but that is all I thik!

Comment

I've tried everyting to make PR.9 run on my rig. I've re-installed windows XP 32bit but the game crashed on Drangonfly. With W7 64bit it runs, but lags to hell on Dragonfly and gets laggy after a while on the other new maps. Runs perfectly on old maps. Tried different graphic settings... the only one that makes it ok is taking down the texutre to medium.

The lag comes when you get in the cities. IMO, the textures of the new buildings are causing the lag. They need to be optimised. For now I know that my RAM is killing me but since I will be selling my rig soon I will not try to upgrade. Hope that the DEVs will patch this and make it run OK even on high.

Specs:
                        Core 2 Quad @ 2.4GHz
                        2 GB DDR2 RAM
                        75GB Sata 7200rpm HD
                        Geforce 8800 GTX (512mb)
                        Windows 7 64-bit
                        Sound is onboard

Comment

As suggested by PortableCougar, try turning down your view distance to 98%. I had quite a few problems on my computer iMac i5 with Radeon 4850 and 8 gig of ram.... prior to turning down my view distance to 98%. At 100% view distance it was really rubber banding and jittery... at 98% smooth as silk... Running on Max settings all the way around...

Dave

Comment

The big problem with some of these maps, especially Dragon Fly, is that the BF seems to be pretty terrible, perhaps even to the point of not trying, when it comes to face culling of models (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-face_culling ).

Something like this is intimately hard-coded (more-so than fast rope limitations, I imagine, as it's a rendering engine problem). They never really needed advanced culling algorithms because they avoided massive numbers of high-poly, high-texture statics. The apartment complex model, with it's windows that let you see to the other side, absolutely rape any attempt to cull.

Please note: this is all just based on what I've seen as an end-user. If a dev would like to correct me on anything/everything I said, please feel free.

Comment

Duo core E8400 3.00GHz @ 3.6GHz
                              Ati4870 500mb (stock)
                              4GB ram Kingston HyperX
                              1.5TB SATA disk

Im running ingame everything on high except textures on medium otherwise I crash to desktop. On the graphics part I set also AA, AAF and stuff to high. I'm not having any real estimation on what my frame rate is, but i'm not noticing a real difference.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X