No announcement yet.

How do you feel about not so realistic tactics, that are possible and effective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about not so realistic tactics, that are possible and effective

in game ?

Against insurgency for example the blueforce can typically maneuver freely around a revealed cache location, making it possible to set up fobs on opposing sides of the cache and attacking from 2 sides. The result is, that the insurgents will most of the time focus torwards the units they make contact with first and the units approaching from the opposing side can pretty much walk up to the cache.

This is possible because unlike irl only 30 insurgents populate the maps who can cover only so much area.

How do you feel about such tactics ? Do you feel they are needed to win and should be used, or do you feel not fighting your way through insurgents to get at the cache takes a lot of fun out of the game and doing it otherwise would be unrealistic, because thats what marines had to do too ?

Re: How do you feel about not so realistic tactics, that are possible and effective

If you can use stealth, use it.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Re: How do you feel about not so realistic tactics, that are possible and effective

Was this intended to be in the PR forums as it is PR specific? You would probably get more replies if you had a forum admin move it there.

Both BluFor and insurgents have extremely low numbers compared to reality, and a dual direction assault would be realistically possible. I think the approach is fine in a game.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I think given the short life of most FOBs on insurgent maps, the more the merrier.
        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
        So that when they turn their backs on you,
        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

The important question to ask is "Does it break immersion in the reality in context of the game world? That means that no matter how untrue something may be to real life standards, it should not be harped upon in the rules unless it breaks immersion into the game world. Or, if it is a gameplay breaking tactic/device." (Quote is myself from the BFBC2 forums)

Does the game world condone and support this sort of tactic?
          Does this tactic or gameplay device break gameplay?

If you can answer "No" to both of these questions, then it can for all intents and purposes be considered a valid gameplay strategy.

Comment

Project reality to me is a teamplay mod with realism elements. There are many unrealistic elements, and tactics that are used on a daily basis.
            It's part of the game, thankfully TG has put some rule limitations in place to side line some of the "most unfair" tactics such as ramming, base raping (AAS), blowing base bridges, etc.

The tactic you describe above with operating bases in multiple directions is realistic in my opinion. Of course the distances and numbers are not even close to scale, but what else would you expect given the map size, and player limits?

There are many other tactics I see in game that I would consider much more effective, and much less realistic than the original post. I will leave them unmentioned to derail the original post. I think the developers and the community have been doing really well at noticing the behaviors of the players, finding elements that are being abused, or that are far from reality, and imposing rules and limitations to prevent it from happening in further releases.

War games are designed to be fun, war is by nature not.

Comment

I think think tactics that involve RL ideas should be used as much as possible. You example consisted of flanking, oraginzing an assault, and a two pronged attack. I would rather see that used then a full on tard rush with humvees driving through ambushes because thats what they did on Generation Kill. Some things that are used all the time in real life are simply not effective in PR so you shouldn't use it just because it is real. Same with other tactics that you wouldn't ever use IRL but are very effective ingame and don't brake any rules or come close to it.

I agree with what zaboo said, and players should keep that in mind when thinking of ideas.
              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Recently I have been reading a lot of info about RL tactics, and stories from places like Afghanistan. It constantly amazes me the number of times I read about some tactical situation, the decisions being made and the methods used, and then think "Hey wow, we do that in |?| on PR". These parallels do not occur because we study and imitate RL tactics as a group, but because they are the most effective way to be successful in the game, they happen fluidly from experience. Examples would be effectively securing highly defensible positions by assigning sectors for each team member to watch, setting up casualty clearing areas, supress-flanking, standardized comms, and destroying highly defended enemy assets by use of stealth and distraction. There is a reason for this, PR is created to make those real world tactics effective in game play, and the second consideration is fun.

Generally, employing a method of tactical realism is effective. There is however a limit to this. For instance, certain groups feel the need to impose loadout-specific formation movement, strict spacing on patrols, etc. These methods, while extremely important in RL, are in fact detrimental to the success of a group, largely because of the limits of simulation. Understanding this, using unrealistic tactics is important to mission effectiveness. Ultimately the goal of our time in PR shouldn't be realism, this isn't a game built for warfare simulation, rather moments of simulation, with a consistently fun experience.
                Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

more fobs near the cache usually means more people to kill for insurgents, set up defenses and ambushes. they spawn again at FOB and do it again from another location. kill their tickets.

i wish taliban had more IED's like the insurgents.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

A force of 30 defending against a force of 30........with a finite number of compass points......next question......

Comment

Tactics that break immersion and just go for easy kills drive me nuts. This is especially apparent in RTS games. I hate playing against human players because all they do is spam the same kind of units at you, if you don't do the same you're finished. Anyone remember playing C&C Generals and having the other guy spam squad cannons at you by building a bunch of barracks (whatever they were called) and setting the way point to your base?

There's always the issue of people bending the rules for cheap kills too, which is of course IMO worse than actually breaking them...
                      Last edited by thegreatnardini; 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Putting the enemy between two of your forces has been used many a times through out history, hence don't get caught in the crossfire. Of course there are instances of the two team forces across from each other killing one another if they are not careful and place themselves correctly. It can be a brutal tactic against an opposing force and also a brutal failure if not done properly.
                        sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

Well if they can easily walk into a cache you are not defending correctly!

Comment

@Nard

I like a good, long fight in an RTS and tend to play defensively a lot, waiting for the rest of the fools to duke it out with each other and building up a strong defense so nobody can tard-rush me. It's relatively easy to just expand slowly and build defenses as you go.

Comment

Well we do our best. If that's the most realistic tactic that can be employed, to the point where a more complex and realistic tactic would make it harder, then we can just do that.

This is a public community, we can only achieve so much. The important factor is to not come out with dozens of ragequits. I.E. make it fun.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X