Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

    Hey troops. I was hoping to gain some feedback on the likelihood or perceived need throughout the community for a new upgraded server for PR.

    0.9 it appears is a heavy load and I wonder if the server is able to cope with the new polygon/texture count etc. Would a better server result in an improved experience for all? Is it financially feasible?

    Personally speaking, I love the community here and the (mostly) mature attitude of the TG PR playerbase. It makes for a great server to play on, especially with the TG gameplay mods. However, there are many reports of rubber-banding, server freezes etc which effectively reduces playability for a good proportion of players. Other obvious drawbacks are that air vehicles on a number of the maps are unplayable without a substantial risk to ticket loss given the frozen screen enducing lag spikes.

    For me it is entirely possible that my issues are more down to ping given that I'm based in Uk and I assume the server is in the US, although I still hear reports of server lag from US players. Is the problem more common amongst EU players?

    Apologies if this has been discussed before or if there are moves afoot to address the issue. Please post your thoughts.
    Intel Core Duo E6600 Stock Cooler
    DFI Infinity 975X/G
    4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 6400
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
    Western Digital 74Gb Raptor
    Seagate Barracuda 320Gb
    NEC DVD+RW/DVD-RW
    24" Dell 2408WFP (Digital)

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

    @ 2701Mhz (9x300) - BIOS 08/20/2007 - 47C Idle, 59C Load.

  • #2
    Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

    Originally posted by Hugh_Jardon View Post
    Hey troops. I was hoping to gain some feedback on the likelihood or perceived need throughout the community for a new upgraded server for PR.

    0.9 it appears is a heavy load and I wonder if the server is able to cope with the new polygon/texture count etc. Would a better server result in an improved experience for all? Is it financially feasible?

    Personally speaking, I love the community here and the (mostly) mature attitude of the TG PR playerbase. It makes for a great server to play on, especially with the TG gameplay mods. However, there are many reports of rubber-banding, server freezes etc which effectively reduces playability for a good proportion of players. Other obvious drawbacks are that air vehicles on a number of the maps are unplayable without a substantial risk to ticket loss given the frozen screen enducing lag spikes.

    For me it is entirely possible that my issues are more down to ping given that I'm based in Uk and I assume the server is in the US, although I still hear reports of server lag from US players. Is the problem more common amongst EU players?

    Apologies if this has been discussed before or if there are moves afoot to address the issue. Please post your thoughts.
    We are looking at a new server, but for what it's worth; servers don't need to deal with polygon/texture counts. They don't render anything, that's a client side function not a server side operation.

    I'm going to look into the server performance in detail and see how many cores are actually being utilized and for what. It's possible that we just need some more extensive server optimization. If the server isn't taxed then it could likely be a client issue dealing with the data being sent. The solution might be in the actual coding of 0.9 and not server hardware. Either way; I'm looking into this in depth!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

      Thats great to hear! Fingers crossed that you can improve on the current situation.
      Intel Core Duo E6600 Stock Cooler
      DFI Infinity 975X/G
      4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 6400
      BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
      Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
      Western Digital 74Gb Raptor
      Seagate Barracuda 320Gb
      NEC DVD+RW/DVD-RW
      24" Dell 2408WFP (Digital)

      Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

      @ 2701Mhz (9x300) - BIOS 08/20/2007 - 47C Idle, 59C Load.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

        I tested the PR server yesterday before introducing myself in the thread (just to see if I could play on it given where I live) and even though I had a ping of between 170 to 200 (EU player) the game ran smoothly with no lag or anything. Granted I have not played for long (yet) but the first experience was great. ;)
        sigpic

        Now with 200% more content!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

          Although the server may be being stressed, there are known optimisation problems in 0.9.

          One thing that I am going to try and do is test the troublesome maps out on non-TG servers, to see if that makes a difference. However, there have been many posts about lag / optimisation on the PR forums, which suggests a wider issue other than individual servers been pushed to the limit.

          Still, great to see the admin team looking at server load and considering a new one. :)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

            I think most of the lag is probably client side. I know because of where I live, depending on the time, my ping can jump to 500-1000 and it just becomes unplayable.


            These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

              Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
              I think most of the lag is probably client side. I know because of where I live, depending on the time, my ping can jump to 500-1000 and it just becomes unplayable.
              possible but i'm experiencing rubberbanding and small flashes of Connection interrupted with my usual 100-120ping and 50-90fps


              nice to see it's being looked into, hopefully some small optimsation tweaks can fix the problem
              AnimalMother
              Ex TG-31st LR
              "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
              sigpic

              Arte et Marte

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                I find rubber banding occurs on all servers and even single player leading me to believe it's an actual issue with .9 as with my fps at 60 or higher constantly the only thing i could think of otherwise is my wireless internet which likes to kill itself

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                  It seems that server lag or rubber banding occurs when an (in game) physical object glitches against the terrain/other object. It slides back and forth a lot very fast and the server updates it's location all the time.

                  That's what some people believe anyway. Possibly proven also when some supply create or destroyed vehicle gets removed and the lag stops.

                  Obviously there's a bug/intended change that couldn't be tested properly that appeared with 0.9 and it's fixable, if the DEV's have the time is another question though.

                  Since sometimes a map is unplayable due to rubber banding but the next day there's no rubber banding at all on the same map it's not because the maps are too demanding.


                  I have not seen rubber banding on other servers but then again I've not played more than 3h total on another server since 0.9.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                    Originally posted by 2ClipsOneKill View Post
                    It seems that server lag or rubber banding occurs when an (in game) physical object glitches against the terrain/other object. It slides back and forth a lot very fast and the server updates it's location all the time.
                    This happens fairly often but it can't be the main reason, neither do I imagine it's a server-side issue related to the TG server. The server throws hissy fits now and again but on the whole it's one of the best servers for me to play on.
                    Before the effect one believes in different causes than one does after the effect.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                      In my completely unfounded opinion, which is based on an intoxicatiing blend of superstition and ignorance, it is a 0.9/server issue and nothing to do to with the client side.

                      I used to have a 2 MB fibre optic connection, running a 2.42 dual core with a 7800GT card. Upgraded to 10MB and a 8800 320MB, then 20MB and an ATI 4870 512 card. Rubber banded now and again. New system is a quad core at 3.82 and a ATI 5870 1GB card, 4GB of 1600mhz ram and a 50 MB fibre connection. Runs all maps including the problem ones at 60-70-100+ FPS smooth as silk...until the rubber banding starts. Server wise perhaps we just need a new box, it has been doing this for a long time (multiple versions) and it gets hammered pretty much morning, noon and night. Surely these things just get worn out like anything else. I have played a bit on other servers and never really experienced the same level of rubber banding, certainly not with the same regularity at least.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                        We're working on getting an upgraded box for PR. Performance seems to be deteriorating consistently.

                        "You milsim guys are ruining the game."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                          Woot!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                            RELEASE THE KRAKEN!







                            *I was unable to find an original clip of clash of the titans that did not contain music or someones own personal audio over the clips, so i had to make due with what I could find on such short notice, enjoy nevertheless
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                            Level I HazMat Technician
                            NYS EMT-B
                            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

                            sigpic




                            Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Chances of an updated TG PR server? Ping or Server Lag?

                              I can confirm that the lag is definitely not clientside. I've been plaing too long on this server not to know the difference. And anyhow if you have lag at say 80 fps its pretty clear. Now whether the server is to weak, or PR has bugs? -> I'd say both are true and affect each other. Bugfixing would probably help, but so would a faster server.

                              The faster the bird, the more bugs it can eat, you could say :p.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X