Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion Thread: Supporting Membership Asset Exclusivity.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Thread: Supporting Membership Asset Exclusivity.

I have a idea that needs imput cause I'm not sure if it's been discussed in the past.

Here is the backgound information.

After playing a round of Qinling last night I found myself listening to Hans Zimmers Avant Garde Version of 'Spider Pig' and had a bit of a brainstorm.

I was Euro commander and the round started with approx. 100 tickets in air assets wasted in less than 30minutes. People arguing over who could and couldn't fly. And well.. just a sad display of children bickering over who gets the shiny toys. All the while, most other squads, armor/infantry/trans were full of TG regulars and operating in full force.
    (Which led to an awesome victory over the PLA despite huge ticket losses.)

I want your opinons!

What are the pros and cons of making Air Assets or High Ticket Value Assets exclusive to SM's only.

Is it like communism and look good only on paper?

Is it stupid?

Is it awesome?

What are the benifets?

What are the cons?

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Re: Opinion Thread: Supporting Membership Asset Exclusivity.

Why would a supporting member be a better player than a non supporting one? Oh well a good thing would be to force people to pay up to get the toys... ;)
    Nah it'd sink like a stone.

Comment

No, terrible idea.

There is already a system in place to address the issue: The chain of command, which is the same in the new rules but clearer. The commander can assign vehicles or give any legitimate orders to his team including grounding an asset or not allowing a specific player to use them through the squad's SL.

As the commander you had the ability to order them to ground the pilot if he was SL or through his SL.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Wether or not its technically possible I can not say.

Tom, my good friend, as CO you have the authority to order the assets to be used as you see fit.
        End the bickering with that stern manly voice of yours ;)

Contact an admin or report anyone who doesn't follow your orders.
        Violators will be dealt with by our good admins.

|

Comment

Simply no. The only advantage of having a SM in an asset is they won't be kicked for Supporting Member but just because someone pays to support the server doesn't mean they should only be entitled to the toys. Enough people already think TG is a private community then add on this and you would start helping any arguments they have. The fact that these tickets were loss although I wasn't there, I doubt was because of SM them not being SM, more like not skilled with it, not listening to the team or the many other reasons that you can die.
          |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

A system such as this would make TG look like an utterly hostile community, and kill any chances of use growing the playerbase. It would be a disservice both to our community and to PR as a whole.

Comment

I understand the power of denying assets to people as Co.
              And war, you know I can't yell at people.. it's not in my character.

The trouble I had in that particular game was that no one who was wanting to fly, would admit that they couldn't. Qinling NEEDS air support so i did the best i could in dealing with the rookies while still trying to manage the front line of the battle at Coal objective. I offered several statements on Team chat that air assets were grounded for people who haven't been playing for 6months. But knowing everyones experience with assets is something we cannot police with the current structure.

The key idea behind what "Assets for SM's discussion" is meant to uncover is finding a possible buffer that prevents the commander from having to babysit every new player with a pilot kit. I know the ticker says 'DONT LEARN TO FLY HERE' but there are a lot of people who disregard that piece of information until it is too late. I guess designating assets through micromanaging really does come with the job title though.

And is there a way to report as the commander without causing a scene. Co doesn't get a squad channel of their own, so keeping reporting functions private so that an admin can handle it is difficult.

Comment

Actually, the CO can use the squad channel in his command screen. While no one can see it, the admins can.

Comment

Originally posted by TomKing View Post

The trouble I had in that particular game was that no one who was wanting to fly, would admit that they couldn't. Qinling NEEDS air support so i did the best i could in dealing with the rookies while still trying to manage the front line of the battle at Coal objective. I offered several statements on Team chat that air assets were grounded for people who haven't been playing for 6months. But knowing everyones experience with assets is something we cannot police with the current structure.

The key idea behind what "Assets for SM's discussion" is meant to uncover is finding a possible buffer that prevents the commander from having to babysit every new player with a pilot kit. I know the ticker says 'DONT LEARN TO FLY HERE' but there are a lot of people who disregard that piece of information until it is too late. I guess designating assets through micromanaging really does come with the job title though.

And is there a way to report as the commander without causing a scene. Co doesn't get a squad channel of their own, so keeping reporting functions private so that an admin can handle it is difficult.
                  I don't know the system *too* well, but couldn't you select a squad you trust/don't have an issue with, and then squad-chat with them (default: 'L'). Does that work? It's not perfect, you're still revealing it to someone, but still.

edit: star's probably right; I didn't realize, thought "squad chat" chatted to the currently selected squad.

Comment

that is what i thought too, thanks for point that out.
                    Learn something new every day.

Comment

Absolutely not.

What makes a SM better in any way than a non-sm?

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

It's acutally refreshing to see the community feedback so well aligned on this.

Comment

Orders are best when they are direct. If someone says they can fly, then crash while taking off you can ground them and not worry about experience. Sometimes the appropriate players won't be available, you might have no experienced CAS or transport players or they are in infantry squads and don't volunteer to fill the gap on request for example. In those cases ground the choppers to avoid wasting tickets and work with what you have.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

My answer would be no, with a simple explanation:
                            Stupidity is universal. Having 9 bucks a month to contribute to the community does not cure this ailment.

Comment

What are the pros and cons of making Air Assets or High Ticket Value Assets exclusive to SM's only.
                              Qinling is won by infantry. No amount of CAS, Air, Tanks, APCs can stop a good squad with some ammo. Very rarely do I see a Qinling match that is not won through flags. This point can be extended to other maps. If all the experienced regulars only took assets, no flags would be capped. I can't tell you how many times I made an armor squad filled with regulars only to see the team run a muck because no one is defending a flag.
                              "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
                              -Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X