Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper display of Ribbons...

Hey guys,

Like military ribbons, our site ribbons also have a particular way to be worn, according to this SOP

GUIDELINES: Wearing Your Ribbons

● Awarded Ribbons should be worn in one's signature with following guidelines:

1. Ribbons must be displayed as a singular, solid field, with no spaces or gaps between them.
    2. Service Ribbons must appear before Campaign Ribbons, and should appear in the order listed here.
    3. Campaign Ribbons must appear chronologically, according to the date of each campaign (not the date of presentation).
    What I suggest is that you all save your current ribbons and make a singular image out of them using photoshop/gimp/etc. Whenever you get a new ribbon, just update that image and reupload it to imageshack/photobucket.

I personally display my ribbons as I would IRL, with the top row bearing the least ribbons.

I know this all sounds pretty particular, but it presents a more uniform and professional image site-wide.

Cheers,
    Skud

Re: Proper display of Ribbons...

The disadvantage of making the ribbons all one picture is we can't mouse over them and see what each one is. But good point on standardization Skud.

Comment

Signature blocks only have a finite amount of space for text. Myself, I've reached that limit a while ago (with all the links in my signature...) For those that have large ribbon racks, this can cause a problem. That's why I suggest people create images. Most people are familiar with the ribbons, anyway.
      Skud

Comment

This is a technical question, aimed more at the forum devs than any one on the PR forum, but this seems like the right thread to ask it in: Is it possible that we could get the character limit in Signatures removed, and instead have a limit of, say, 400px tall, beyond which a scrollbar is added? I've seen it on other forums. We could, of course, still regulate people putting 1920x1080 screenshots on the signatures, but the advantage would be allowing for more thorough markup (e.g., having links appropriate for each ribbon, etc), etc. Maybe come up with a rather strict "absolute size" code, or find some way to exclude non-visible characters from the total limit?

This would, of course, entail modifying vBulletin moderately heavily (not knowing jack about vbulletin), but the rewards could be good.

edit: a better solution is coming. Go here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

look about midway down the page. Yeah. Ribbon configuration settings.

Comment

Coming from the Internet...

@Skud: It would be better for loading if everyone used the ribbons hosted from TG as a universal source. It would allow for client side caching to occur, instead of having to download multiple blocks from multiple sources. Ultimately, it would be best in terms of consistency, appearance, real estate, and loading times if TG took the responsibility to display the ribbons for us in an automated fashion.

That being said, and me being a huge hypocrite, I am a forum download monster - Making everyone download my signature every time the server status changes.

@Riffraffselbow: Such mod would be require very little work, knowledge, and work.
          AFAIK ribbon configuration was an option, but they pulled the plug on it (Not sure why....)

EDIT: Oh yeah.. Skud - I took out the spaces. Just for you. Still not sure if they are in order, or really what they mean, or which one is which, and I think one is missing. I am not even sure why they are even there...

Comment

There was an effort to have ribbons automated by TG, but if you will all recall, the server could not handle it.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
              There was an effort to have ribbons automated by TG, but if you will all recall, the server could not handle it.
              It's all about proper optimization.. and caching, caching, caching.
              Sure, loading player ribbons can be [fairly] taxing. The trick is only doing what needs to be done once, once. Ribbons only change so often. You cache each accounts ribbons to disc. When they change, the server automatically updates them. Loading 15-20 cached HTML files from disc to display on the screen is less taxing than some of the other stuff vBulletin is doing by default.

Comment

After checking the SOP, I think i got it down.

Comment

Nope. CA goes before Dis. Defense. INT should come before IWS, since we just did an internal.
                  Skud

Comment

skud defence before squad leader;)
                    If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

See, a second set of eyes can correct things.
                      Skud

Comment

And don't forget folks...when you see something you think is worthy of recognition you can submit an award nomination here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/awards-submit-nomination/

|

Comment

Got it?

Comment

Ribbons approves of this thread.

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts: Submit a nomination!

Comment

I have to say it one time......TGU ribbons are also not authorized anymore.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X