Mumble startup tutorial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumble startup tutorial

So here would be my attempt at helping others. I copy/pasted from my forums with some slight modification of colors. It still needs something else. Thats where you guys come in. Some constructive criticism would be great.

So a lot of people seem to be having problems with mumble so I made this post to try and help answer some questions about Mumble!

For additional help, download etc. go to:
    http://www.realitymod.com/mumble

Setting up Mumble

After downloading mumble it will ask if you would like to run the audio wizard. Click 'Yes'.

After clicking yes one of the following screens should be something like the picture below. You should be able to select your sound card. If you can, then you should. Once you select your sound card for both Input and Output click 'Next'.

It will automatically start you off on the 'Server Browser' tab. You need to click on the 'Custom servers' tab. This will lead you to the picture below. After this point all you need to do is type in your name and click connect.

Upon connecting to the PR Official Mumble server it will ask you something. Just click 'Yes'. It will not ask you this again.

Congrats you are now in the PR Official Mumble server! You will now see lots of different channels in the server. Each Project Reality server has their own mumble channel. To join a channel just double click the name. If you are playing in a given server then join that mumble channel. The best way to tell what team in any given channel is to join and ask (this is slightly impolite so try not to do this often) or join the waiting room before starting PR, then once in the server ask in team chat (most everyone will be willing to answer this question, but I find it faster to just do it myself) or see who's in mumble and what 'Team' they are in inside of mumble and join the correct mumble channel from there.

Various problems with Mumble and how to fix them

Mumble will sometimes 'unlink' from the game for various reasons such as; going out of bounds or launching the UAV when commander. When you become 'unlinked' you will no longer be speaking to those locally around you. Everyone in the main channel you are in will now hear you. Try to keep your mumble talk to a minimum during times of being un-linked or avoiding it all together and using your in-game squads VOIP. Below are various ways to fix being unlinked.

* Go out of bounds (this is both a cause and a fix)
    * Alt+Tab out of PR and then go back in game
    * Alt+Tab out of PR and restart mumble
    * Getting in/out of a vehicle

Mumble Etiquette (manners)

There are certain un-written rules about mumble that most mumblers (a mumbler is someone who uses mumble) follow. I will now write those down for you!

Once joining a given channel and not in game everyone in that channel will hear you when you talk. It is very impolite to talk when not in game as it disrupts game play. If you happen to CTD (crash to desktop) and someone in mumble asks if you are going to rejoin keep your answer short and simple such as "This is X, I CTDed and I'm going to rejoin"

When the server is loading maps everyone can talk amongst themselves about how the last round went or whatever the topic at hand might be. I don't think anyone has a problem with this. However, it is rude to keep talking past 1:30 (in-game timer) as squads are assigning kits and discussing strategy via BF2 VOIP with their squad. Mumble may be used for strategy but try to keep it simple and again try to kill the mumble chatter before 1:30. Keeping it simple would be something like:
    "SQ1 is heading for South Bridge and building a FOB"
    "Roger that SQ1, this is 2, we are going to hold just SE (South East) of SB (South Bridge)"

How to make the most out of mumble.

Wuts that clickin' noise?

One of the first things upon joining mumble you will notice is that you will receive a lot of messages and sounds of people joining and leaving the server. To get rid of those sounds and messages you need to go Configure -> Settings -> Messages tab. This is what your settings should look like as default. The screenshot below shows something how yours should look if you don't want to receive those messages or sounds.

Who just said that?

So being new to mumble and all you won't know peoples voices by heart yet. Mumble has a built in overlay feature that you can activate with a few clicks. To activate Mumble overlay you need to go to Configure -> Settings -> Overlay (the tab is to the extreme right side). Once there you check the 'Enable overlay' box and select 'Show Only Talking' from the drop down menu. If you did this in game you have to restart mumble and PR before the changes will take effect. Those talking in force center will appear in Red and those talking in local will appear in white. This is a MUST HAVE feature if you like to Squad Lead a lot and use mumble. It allows you to see what SL's are talking to you and you can then easily identify what squad leader [number] they are in game.

What is force center?

Squad Leader Radio (often times called force center) is the means to talk to everyone in any given channel you are in. Some channels will have this disabled if it is not the Squad Leader channel. However, if you are a squad lead you need to bind this key in order to talk to other squad leaders in the SL channel.

Re: Mumble startup tutorial

Heh this should be a Sticky! Also sometimes you may have to wait a bit for your mumble to actually link in, so don't worry if at first your mumble isn't working as it should when just loading into a game.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
    Erwin Rommel

Comment

I never knew about the overlay good tip. I cant imagine why it isn't enabled by default.

Comment

^
        Some version of PB used to kick for Overlay enabled, suddenly it didn't anymore. But who knows about tomorrow.
        But yeah, overlay is of great value.

Comment

Last I checked, PB kicked for mumble overlay enabled for most people (including me). However, this was .874. Has anyone actually tried with .9?

(my guess would be the same issues, as it's a PB + mumble issue, but you never know)
          "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

I have been using the mumble overlay with zero issues since they fixed it back in .874
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
              I have been using the mumble overlay with zero issues since they fixed it back in .874
              Huh. Well, me being behind the times is not exactly news. I'll go try that next time I play, I think.
              "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

with the mumble overlay do you have to change any of the sliders or is it pretty good as default already?

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

default is ok, I just moved it for widescreen. Setting it to only show people who are talking made a huge difference on it being useful.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
                    with the mumble overlay do you have to change any of the sliders or is it pretty good as default already?
                    I left it at default and it seems fine to me. I run @ 1440x900.

Two questions:
                    Has this been useful to anyone?
                    Does anyone have anything to add to this or does it seem fine as is?

Also, if some admin could change the text from "After this point all you need to do is type in your name and click connect" to:
                    "After this point all you need to do is type in your name, click 'Add' (this will save the server and your username so you don't have to type in your name each time) and click connect. "

Comment

It worked for me, mostly. The overlay is fine.

I'm 8still* having problems getting my mouse button bound to Mumble. It refuses to work properly.
                      |TG-6th|Belhade
                      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
                        I'm still having problems getting my mouse button bound to Mumble. It refuses to work properly.
                        What mouse do you have? I have a Logitech MX518 and I didn't have any problems with binding mine.

Comment

Logitech G5 2nd gen. I'm trying to bind it to the forward thumb button (mouse4) but it "blinks" and doesn't stay active.
                          |TG-6th|Belhade
                          "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

The only thing I could think of would be to update your drivers and see if that helps. I however have both of my mumble buttons on my mouse and as stated above had zero problems with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...all/mouse1.jpg
                            (yay for me I learned how to crop pictures in MSpaiint!)
                            Logitech G9x drivers

Comment

Originally posted by zebra.actual View Post
                              So here would be my attempt at helping others. I copy/pasted from my forums with some slight modification of colors. It still needs something else. Thats where you guys come in. Some constructive criticism would be great.
                              If you are going to use colors in your guide, make sure to apply them in an intuitive way.
                              Right now not only do you have Section Headers ("Setting up Mumble!" "How to get the most out of mumble.") in color, but also as emphasis ("Custom Servers").
                              You are also using different colors for almost every Section Header you have, making it unclear at first glance whether they are Section Headers, or something else. If things keep changing their pre-attentive variables (things that make them visually stand out before you actually fully look at them; size, position, color, etc), it will be confusing to read.
                              Remove periods from your headers. Bad practice.
                              Avoid addressing the user by question ("What is force center?"), instead use a direct statement ("Force Center" or "About Force Center")
                              Also, don't feel the need to be extremely technical in your conveyance of how things work, simply adding in some exclamations and humor will make the process much more enjoyable on the user-end (You did have some of this already, but there's areas that could use a bit more of a 'personal' touch).

Good stuff otherwise.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X