Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the PR community active again (idea thread).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the PR community active again (idea thread).

So I ended up making a post with the following on PRmod forums.
    As a collective I think we should mount a Pro-PR campaign. Spread the word on all PC gaming forums, put links that lead back to PRmod, spread the word to people at LAN partys and so on. Project Reality is a great mod and filled with great people for the most part. It has so much potential to be great and is for the most part.
    However, Project Reality is nothing but pixels, wasted time and wasted dreams without players.
    This got me thinking last night, so I rallied the troops. A bunch of us that regularly play on TG server (aka anyone on my xfire) decided that we need to make a video or some Public Service Announcements regarding mumble and teamwork a like.

The goal:
    Get more people active in the PR community again (bring back those that quit)
    Get more people in mumble and increase mumble awareness
    Get people to gravitate toward Project Reality as a whole

As it stands we have about 10 unofficially working on this project. We still need a few more people that are good with video editing software and plenty more that have good ideas or that can give feedback. Last night we went through a lot of different ideas and would love more. The more people and ideas we get on board this project, the better. If you are interested in helping post up here, add me on xfire (zebraactual) or join up on TS sometime and give us some feedback or ideas.

We ended up doing one video last night that might be a semi-reoccurring theme. This is what we ended up with last night: http://www.xfire.com/video/2671b4/. This is by no means a finished product though.

There will be quite a few of us in TeamSpeak3 again tonight. We will all be on around 8PM EST. If anyone cares to join the TS info is below.
    IP: 69.65.40.85
    Port: 9011

Re: Getting the PR community active again (idea thread).

Someone with video editing skills to pay the bills would be great. Sure, you and I know that the theme of the video is, how a non-mumbler can endanger the lives of other players. But its not apparent yet.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

I'd happily help out in editing.

Comment

Mumble is not compulsory at TG, neither is the use of voip, only the ability to hear orders. Mumble is also only useful when people don't spam it. Please remember that. Also people talking to much has got me killed far more than someones lack of ability to spam 'mumble, mumble' in my ear.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
          Mumble is also only useful when people don't spam it. Please remember that.
          Point noted.

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
          Also people talking to much has got me killed far more than someones lack of ability to spam 'mumble, mumble' in my ear.
          Can't say I have ever shared that experience.

Comment

I must say, after mumble settled down I have found it to be much less obnoxious than TS channels were for normal soldiers, and even less broadcast noise when two SLs are next to each other using local instead of broadcast to communicate. I remember turning off TS more than once just to be able to play.

My only current annoyance is the 'mumble mumble' and blathering fools on local, but I can simply walk away from them :)
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Approach it like a true promotion project.

Goals:
              -Attract new players to PR
              -Attract previous players back to PR
              -Inform New/Returning/Current players about the use of the third-party program, Mumble.

Main Audience:
              -New/Returning players to PR, ages 14-40, Males
              -May not be familiar with PR's game-play
              -May not be familiar with advanced game-play tactics and concepts

So, based on this information, cater to your audience.

One good idea is to create a video showcasing PR to brand new players that have may no concept of the game. Make it enticing (action), keep their attention (short and sweet), and convey the message of PR (tactics, teamwork). Include referrals like "Visit realitymod.com for more details" and also link to more in-depth videos (made for the project, or other game-play videos). Don't baby them with the material, but don't throw Einstein concepts at them. Also avoid any sort of stereotype with the game-play showcasing (Don't play it off as MW2, with a ton of action scenes, and don't play it off as a waiting game). Keep an interesting flow to the video, have a climax nearing the end of the video which concludes to a "mission accomplished" scenario.

It's possible to also make some humor focused videos especially for the mumble videos, though they should be mature in their delivery; don't portray a 12 year old on the mic, don't portray someone just too serious, focus on getting a believable and mature player, especially for scenes involving "Why to use mumble".

Focus all videos on "What to do", not "What not to do." For example, don't make a video of someone saying "mumble mumble" and getting someone else killed; instead, you could have it so that one of them has mumble and tries to warn the other, who consequently doesn't hear and walks right into a death trap.

Don't focus on bashing another game. Just because we may think MW2/BC2/etc sucks/is for noobs/etc doesn't mean that there's someone out there who may like PR, but didn't try it out because the videos bashed the game. Convey that "we aren't MW2", but don't attempt to use that to say "we're better than MW2."

If you're serious about the promotion, these will help prevent it from backfiring. I support your venture.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                Main Audience:
                -New/Returning players to PR, ages 14-40, Males
                Age is irrelevant, and I would like to welcome any and all ladies to come join us. Come on Celestial where's your head ?

|

Comment

I'm referring to it in a business/project sense. Our target audience is that age group.
                  That's not at all to say that there will not be others from outside that, but that the promotion will be catering to that demographic, which is a majority of PR's current and likely future playerbase.

Defining a target audience demographic is based on the most profitable category. In this case, our profit is players joining. A majority of those players will be in this age demographic, so our 'most profitable' age demographic is that. But again, majority of users != all users.

Even if it is a bit specific and closed off in this case, it helps to design everything for the users so that they will enjoy it (As a blunt example, knowing we have a main demographic of 14-40 males, we know that action scenes are a good thing).

Comment

You've got to say sorry to Dick Blonov now....Right after he drinks his prune juice. A healthy colon is a happy colon.

Comment

Well to get more players into PR more servers need to admin their server in a fashion similiar to TG and tie up regular gamers. I tried an earlier version of PR and it did not stay on my drive long, cus the servers I gave it a shot were not that good. For whatever reason I gave it a second shot much later around 0.7 and it was epic fun.
                      As a game where random people do random stuff PR has like zero appeal to me, I would rather buy left for dead for that kind of gameplay or one of the many other games.

But if you add tactics and teamwork and mumble/teamspeak its pretty much the most exciting game I ever played. I think the best that can be done for PR is to emphasize that tactics and teamwork are not the icing on the cake, they are what makes the mod worth playing.

And finally a suggestion, many players who could like PR would look elsewhere first. I did not get BF 2 because I was looking forward to shooting the SRAW while parachuting from a Blackhawk. I got it because the early DICE videos made me think its something that it was not.

Players who got games like ARMA ARMA 2 and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon rising might be dissapointed with the online experience their respective game offers, either because the player count is low, the software is buggy or multiplayer does not work out the way they envisioned it for other reasons. Those people might be pleasantly surprised at what PR has to offer them.

Comment

my only problem is the long matches, i dont always have time for the crazy long stuff.
                        it's hard to get people interested in 2-3hour rounds.
                        PR's main forum could be more inviting, that place drives people out pretty quick for stupid things.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

I definitely support what you guys are doing. If I get more time I may just get involved. I wish you guys the best in what you are trying to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X