Rant: "Positive KDR"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: "Positive KDR"

So, this has been boiling up in my stomach for the past week or so. I've mentioned it on the server repeatedly, but nobody really wants to hear a pedantic rant about mathematical terminology when they're trying to kill BLUFOR. So here goes:

"positive KDR" is a meaningless statement, as a KDR can never be negative.

KDR is an acronym that stands for Kill:Death Ratio. a Ratio is defined "the magnitude of quantities relative to each other" (source: Wikipedia). They are traditionally expressed in a A:B format, so if you'd killed people and died twice you'd have a Kill:Death Ratio of 5:2. Ratios are often simplified to a single number. In the previous case, it would simplify to 2.5. This simplification is what people generally refer to when they speak of KDR. Note that, no matter what the numbers plugged into it, the result is never negative. If you killed 1 person and died a thousand times, you'd have a positive KDR of 0.001. It's incredibly small, but it's positive. If you kill 0 people and died once, you've got a KDR of 0, but this is still not negative.

There is a number that can be negative. This is conventionally refered to as KD.

KD is a distinct metric; it's an acronym for Kill Death, and generally is interpreted as Kills-Deaths. Thus, if you killed 1 person and died a thousand times, your KD would be -999. If you killed 5 people and died twice, your KD would be 3.

I hope this post has convinced you not to refer to a "positive" or "negative" KDR.
    Last edited by Riffraffselbow; 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM.

Re: Rant: "Positive KDR"

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Isn't it jsut easier to refer to it as KDR as that's what everybody understands it as. Now, I know what ratios are but everybody jsut uses KD as the measurement

Comment

My KDR is -0.2 because I killed Wickens.

| |

Comment

It's true, too.

Oh, and it works because Wickens broke math. Numbers between 0 and 1, noninclusive, are negative when they're in PR.
          "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

If you are 0 kills and 9 deaths, your ratio is zero, which is neither negative or positive. If you have some kills and zero deaths you don't have a ratio as you cannot divide by zero.

In all seriousness though, people mean that if K > D then they have a positive value for K - D which while not a ratio does expose their lack of mathematic terminology.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
              If you have some kills and zero deaths you don't have a ratio as you cannot divide by zero.
              Most often, when simplifying ratios to a single number, N:0 is defined as either N or ∞.

Legitimate point on the "0 kills", however. editing post to reflect.

Comment

Everyone knows what you mean when you say "positive KDR" - why make it so complicated? Who really cares? The only stats that count are W and L, which are only superseded by the answer to the question "Did I have fun that round?"

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

just divide by zero

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                    Everyone knows what you mean when you say "positive KDR" - why make it so complicated? Who really cares? The only stats that count are W and L, which are only superseded by the answer to the question "Did I have fun that round?"
                    I'm just trying to encourage correct use of terminology. Don't hate me for it!

Also, the Insurgent bomb truck is known from here on out as "Big Dump". Cut it out with this "Gary" junk!

Comment

I killed Gary once on Karbala. My KDR then went up to -0.1 :)

| |

Comment

Heres another acronym for people to chew on: QFT.
                        +1 to dispo for this one, right on the money!

Comment

I always looked at positive KDR as a "good thing" and negative KDR as a "bad thing"; not necessarily a mathematical quantity or which side of the zero it falls on on the number line.

Also, I would way rather have fun than get a great KDR, which happens, although I'm usually having fun if I have a great KDR.

Comment

See below.

See above.

Comment

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse