Medevac Squads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medevac Squads?

Two rounds in a row, on completely different servers (INCLUDING TG) & maps (Jabal and Muttrah), I saw people within the huey transport squads try and organize Medevac squads. In both cases, it didn't happen (horrible pilots on Jabal, people using their brains on Muttrah) but still, it was unnerving to see people thinking like this. While I appreciate this nod to 'realism', I feel it has no place, whatsover, in the mod. Why?

1) You have a max of 32 players on your team. Since you will always find at least two people flying transport helicopters, you've already subtracted 2 riflemen from the fight, arguably for a good reason. However, any more than that and you are just harming your team, especially since you'll find that Medevacs really won't do much.

2) Your transport helicopter is worth 10 tickets, plus the pilot, plus the medic. A wounded soldier is worth only 1 ticket. If I have been shot and need a medevac, I am most likely still in a dangerous situation, one that it would be foolish to fly a lightly armored transport helicopter into. If you get shot down/crash/lag out while trying to 'save me', we are now out 13 tickets. I will probably get revived by a medic on the ground anyway.

3) With .91, any squad with 2 or more people in it can request a medic kit. There is no reason why any squad with 2 or more people in it, who are not operating something that requires crewmen or pilot kits should not have a medic. I will repeat this, for clarity. There is no reason why any squad with 2 or more people in it, who are not operating something that requires crewmen or pilot kits should not have a medic. My squad's medic will almost always be close at hand, and if he can't revive me, or he is down, someone else in my squad will get his kit and revive us. If I can't be revived, then everyone in my squad is probably already dead. If we don't have a medic, then my squad will kill an enemy and take his, after desecrating their corpses. We're that good. You should be too.

4) You have a bandage that saves 25% of your health. If that's not enough, kill an enemy and use his. Find an ammo box. Whatever, make it work. If you die, you have 5 whole minutes to get revived, and think about what you've done young man. In no part of this equation is it necessary for a helicopter to come save my ass.

In closing, that was a dumb idea and I hope it doesn't catch on. Save it for ArmA 2. Seriously people, a little common sense can save you some major embarassment.

[/rant]

My priorities, in order. 1) KD/R 2) Winning 3) Gunning in a Tank 4) Everything Else

Re: Medevac Squads?

Sometimes spicing thigs up, trying different things means fun. We don't want to do the same thing again and again. Try different stuff, even if it means you're not going to win that round. I, for one think it's loads of fun if one of those extractions get lucky and save one ticket.

Comment

Yeah it makes total sense. From my perspective, it's an unecessary use of additional manpower and equipment, and there are multiple reasons which support that, one of which includes that PR has respawns.

But if someone made that type of a squad I wouldn't care. If they're having fun, then they can keep it. I know that's pretty much contradictory, if that's a word.

sigpic

Comment

If it's fun and makes people laugh then it's a success. Like making a LALO jump out of a helicopter. It doesn't help your team one bit, but by god when Jenkins got hit by the tail rotor I was dying.

If I deem the cornfields dangerous then I will mark it for a CAS strike with either a missile or the jet itself. If I deem a cornfield worthy I will make a scarecrow squad and defend those cornfields with all of my might.

Comment

I've always thought that the medevac idea 'could' be done theoretically to help and assist a squad who is having it rough or without a medic. However, really it simply comes down to extraction with a medic or inserting a medic. Never dedicate your trans-huey to only Medivac, but have it be an option if required.

But if you have a Helo squad and an extra guy in it (Squad Leader even so he can organize things without flying) why not take medic and make house calls if need be. Sure, I agree that no squad should be without a medic since .917 but what if they had to abandon their medic? Extenuating circumstances could make all the differences.

---

But beyond this I've always wanted to see a Doctor's squad in Iraqi INS... that's a medivac that is useful.

Comment

Hellhound, you make absolutely valid points, but it does kind of sound like fun.... Even if you only pulled it off a couple of times, it might be worth the tickets for one round, or every once in a while.

Comment

Bear in mind that even if a medevac saves 1 ticket, any time the helo is lost, which it will be at some point, that is 12 tickets. You would need to save 12 people with the helo, that can't be saved by medics on the ground to validate a single lost helicopter.

Save it for Arma2. I've flown medevac helicopters in ArmA 2, and had an absolute blast, because I knew it actually meant something, because that's how the game is set up. PR isn't. It's that simple.

As for the "Fun" argument, I hate when heli squads have "fun". Let's fly all 4 transport hueys low over the city, because we're bored, or let's see how many loops can be done. I have fun in intense well coordinated firefights, and tank battles. If my team loses by 10 tickets (we lost that Muttrah round 10 - 0, btw) and I know it's because some flyboy was an idiot, I get pissed, and I don't have fun.

Now I'm really done ranting.

My priorities, in order. 1) KD/R 2) Winning 3) Gunning in a Tank 4) Everything Else

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                But beyond this I've always wanted to see a Doctor's squad in Iraqi INS... that's a medivac that is useful.
                I've done this on maps like Fallujah and Karbala. I've had to where Blufor squads were camping the Taxis, so they wouldn't get used by me and other collaborators in my squad.

The only problem is when the map becomes riddled with mines. It's hard to look at the map at the top right, look at the text at the top left and look on the road. You're bound to hit a mine sooner or later.

Comment

For somebody like me, who only gets to play rarely, and who hasn't flown in the TG server because of constant lag spikes, the fun argument is a good argument, especially when it is all within the purview of the TG Primer. Personally, I hate a lot of the things that people do in the game, but short of going commander and mandating what squads do and don't do, there's not a lot I can do aside from ranting. I just try and take responsibility for myself and my squad, make the best of it, and have a good time.

So long as someone is "trying" to help the team, I hope that they are having fun. Otherwise, why would they bother coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by HellHound1812 View Post
                    If my team loses by 10 tickets (we lost that Muttrah round 10 - 0, btw) and I know it's because some flyboy was an idiot, I get pissed, and I don't have fun.
                    So all you care about is winning? Normally, I would agree, chopper pilots being idiots and wasting tickets is annoying. However, it is still a game, and TG is after all a place to explore new tactics and strategies. To be honest, I don't even understand why the DEVs gave transport vehicles (APCs/TransChop) ticket value in the first place. And yes, the tactic is fairly unnecessary, but if the pilot isn't losing a bunch of tickets (dying a lot), there really isn't any problem...

Comment

I agree with both sides of the argument on this one.

On hellhounds side of things, hes right that every squad with more than two people on the ground should have a medic. Furthermore, it is almost ridiculous to think that there is any possible situation on the PR server in which a medic flown in by helicopter would be able to complete a revive that a medic on the ground couldnt do. The potential for loss in the "medevac squad" scenario is MUCH higher than the chance for gain.

On the other side, yes we're here to have fun, and trying out new tactics and new scenarios is what we're good at. So I see no problem in running these kinds of metagames once in a while. It can provide some much needed relief from the standard groundpounding grind and give some people some good laughs at the same time.

the key here is to be responsible about it. If your team needs transport choppers, anyone running a medevac squad needs to give theirs up. Team actions have priority over silly actions that dont really get anything done. Also, if the team is low on tickets, use your head and dont go flying around in what amounts to a giant 10+ ticket target. It just good sense. Use your heads here guys and exercise things like this in moderation. If you do so, nobody will complain and you can continue to have your fun without it being at other people's expense.

Comment

I've always wanted to try something like this. Trapped in a building on Muttrah with baddies all around? Call an extraction on the roof and get the hell out of there.

Granted it would fail 75% of the time, but it would still be cool...

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

the only time a roaming medic would be needed is on insurgency, other than that you should have the resources with you.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                            I've always wanted to try something like this. Trapped in a building on Muttrah with baddies all around? Call an extraction on the roof and get the hell out of there.

Or you could be cool like me and just walk out like you're a boss. Nobody messes with a boss.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post

Get the extraction and 30 seconds before your chopper takes off call the JDAM on the building, then go to a safe distance and circle, watching the bodies fly..

Hooah. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X