Movie I don't hear mentioned much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie I don't hear mentioned much

Posting a reply in Steiner's return thread got me thinking of another old movie that I don't hear many people ever mention. Its on Youtube in its entirety it seems. Kind of fits in with the whole PR world. Awesome tho its a bit dated.

The Beast of War:

|

Re: Movie I don't hear mentioned much

The opening scene reminded me of N.Village or S.Village on Kashan.

Looks good; I'll have to look it up on Netflix.

Comment

The desert sucks...those tanks are littered everywhere over there. We messed up the end game after the Russians left the country, the rest is history.

Comment

A movie that I don't think gets mentioned enough is "Siege of Firebase Gloria."

I love that movie. It's one of the first I ever watched.

Comment

So, is the movie about Yanks...?

Looks pretty crap, to be honest. Actors are speaking english instead of russian and last time I checked russians were not so violent.

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoidSFguy View Post
            Looks pretty crap, to be honest. Actors are speaking english instead of russian and last time I checked russians were not so violent.
            Thats Hollywood for you. They have to make it interesting enough that you will watch the entire film, and they dont use subtitles becuase they feel that it "takes away from the movie".

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoidSFguy View Post
              So, is the movie about Yanks...?

No its about a Russian tank lost in Afghanistan and being persued by some bungling (but improving) Pashtun Mujahs. Its not a slick modern movie, but it is entertaining. Topical too considering real world events and PR.

It was an American film that explains the English.
              Last edited by Warlab; 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM.

|

Comment

There is a cool part where one of the captured crewmen repairs an RPG trigger mechansim with parts from an AK47.
                You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                So that when they turn their backs on you,
                You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I was being ironic about that Yank part.

I know what this movie is about and , frankly speaking, I do not like it. It seems that the level of detail is rather low. And the fact that russkies were shown as cold-blooded killers makes me think this movie is a propaganda tool.

Comment

Looks fine to me. Nice to see a movie about that other 'Vietnam'.

Begs the question... why not have the Russians fighting the Taliban ^_^?

Edit: So... its propaganda to show the viciousness of war? The one recent movie about the massacre at (Haditha??) showed that even good meaning and well trained soldiers have breaking points. That was based on real accounts too!

Also, since its based on the invasion of Afghanistan (much like Vietnam) I could understand why soldiers would be given orders to kill nearly indiscriminately (the US did it at times too). Even then the clip didn't show indiscriminate murder but showed a basic shock attack and then the killing of all who fought back.

Comment

Paranoid,

I never looked at it as propagnda. I just love war movies, although none of them are perfect.
                      It alot better than some sappy "chick flick" , tho ;)

Hope I didn't offend you bro.

|

Comment

New movie out called Lebanon, written and directed by the gunner of the tank... movie is set fully within the tank also so looks good 'true story' and I will prob go watch at the cinema...
                        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483831/

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                          Looks fine to me. Nice to see a movie about that other 'Vietnam'.

Edit: So... its propaganda to show the viciousness of war? The one recent movie about the massacre at (Haditha??) showed that even good meaning and well trained soldiers have breaking points. That was based on real accounts too!

Also, since its based on the invasion of Afghanistan (much like Vietnam) I could understand why soldiers would be given orders to kill nearly indiscriminately (the US did it at times too). Even then the clip didn't show indiscriminate murder but showed a basic shock attack and then the killing of all who fought back.
                          I don't want to spoil the movie but the tank crew is a touch brutal at certain points, it is NOT pro-USSR film in any way.
                          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                          So that when they turn their backs on you,
                          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post

I really don't think russians poisened water or shot RPG's at mosques. Seems the movie is over exaggerating a little bit.

The goats did not fought back, the women which was lit on fire didn't, either.

I agree with the russian fighting afghans. I'd like to see some Hinds flying around Op Archer shooting at everything that moves :D

Originally posted by warlab View Post
                            Paranoid,

I never looked at it as propagnda. I just love war movies, although none of them are perfect.
                            It alot better than some sappy "chick flick" , tho ;)

Hope I didn't offend you bro.
                            I agree on that chich flick part! :)

Don't worry, you didn't. It's always good to have a healthy discussion.

Comment

It is a great movie I've recommended to many people. If Nato would have watched this before going in to Afghanistan... they would never have gone there. Footsoldiers>tank!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X