First PR game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First PR game!

Hello all. Now that I FINALLY got my BF2 connection issues sorted out after years and years of not getting to play, I played PR for the first time last night. I must admit, it is unlike anything I've ever played before. SO different than the run and gun of vanilla bf2 pub servers. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for being patient with me and showing me the way. It appears you have to dedicate a bit of time to each match. How much time should i plan on setting aside if I want to be in a game from beginning to end?

Also, any tips for this noob? I admit, it was a bit overwhelming at first for a first-timer. I kept getting lost without the normal map on the top right like regular bf2. Lol. So glad we won anyway, despite my horrible PR skills. :)
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: First PR game!

Ah, so you discovered the steep learning curve! Glad to see you got the connection issues resolved though dude.

As far as the time allotment, it really depends on several factors. But for a big map playing at prime time, 3-3.5 hours start to finish.

Comment

Congrats on getting the connection stuff sorted out War.mongeR1! Takes a bit used to after playing BF2 vanilla, but I've no doubt you'll get the hang of it in no time. :)

From my experience the rounds last from about one or to hours (full, balanced teams), sometimes three. Planned scrim matches can go up to four as our recent Silent Eagle scrim.

As for tips. Look and listen what others are doing. Follow SL orders and ask for advice if you are unsure about something. If you just wan't to try different things out go to a coop server or host your own local server (good for flying practice, trying out different kits etc.). Look at your map often (I do maybe once/twice a minute) to get an overall view of the battlefield (friendly troops, marked enemy locations, figuring out where your squad went...).

Hope you enjoy the mod!

Cheers!
      [S7]Hablos
      Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

When you join a squad, don't be afraid to tell everyone you're new to PR. Most of the regulars and IHS members here should be more than glad to show you the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mix0lydian View Post
          When you join a squad, don't be afraid to tell everyone you're new to PR. Most of the regulars and IHS members here should be more than glad to show you the ropes.
          This really can't be emphasized enough. Even if you've been around for a bit, if you're still even slightly uncertain about anything, say you're new - you'll most likely learn something, and hopefully have fun in the process. If you have a question, ask! (try not to ask while your squad is getting shot up, though :icon24: )

The capslock map is your best friend for finding your way around. These maps are huge - i've been playing PR for...jeez. Almost a year. Admittedly, I don't get nearly as much playing time as i'd like, but i don't know more than the basic layout and a few specific sections for most of the maps. If you play frequently, you learn a lot of the important parts fairly quickly - lots of time to look at the scenery in PR, generally. :D

If you have to leave in the middle of the map, it's not the end of the world. Maps can take a long time - people get that, and everyone has RL commitments at some point or another.

Most importantly...have fun!
          "It's called a randomizer, and it's fitted to the guidance systems and operates under a very complex scientific principle called pot luck."

Comment

best advice i can give you is to tell people you are new and listen to what they say. following directions is a huge part of PR. everyone was new once.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

here's a thread that attempted to enlighten veteran players. trust me, if you heed the advice below, especially in the latest release, you'll find greater success.
              http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ings-pack.html

i must say though, i pity you for being so late to the party. this mod used to be a lot of fun.

Comment

Welcome! This is a great mod that will ruin you for all other video games. Definitely introduce yourself as someone who is somewhat new. STAY CLOSE TO YOUR SQUAD. Move with them, cover them, and kill with them. The last thing you want to do is find yourself alone in the middle of nowhere with no idea of what to do. Stick with your squad, keep your eyes and your ears open, and you'll have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by CoronadoSeal View Post
                  here's a thread that attempted to enlighten veteran players. trust me, if you heed the advice below, especially in the latest release, you'll find greater success.

i must say though, i pity you for being so late to the party. this mod used to be a lot of fun.
                  i see you very often in the server so it cant be that bad. im pretty sure you are joking, sounds retarded if you arent.

edit: are you stationed in coronado? or is it just a name?
                  Last edited by ankyle62; 05-08-2010, 11:48 PM.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Coronado, if you don't like the direction the mod is heading, why don't you just leave?

I respect your opinion, but why try and ruin it for the rest of us and for those just beginning?

Edit: No malicious intent intended, just curious why you decided to bring up the subject in this particular thread. I see no reasoning behind it other than trying to get a rise out of others.
                    CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

Originally posted by CoronadoSeal View Post

Thanks as ever for the constructive input, this post is from a new player excited to play the game. How about you don't spoil it for him, mkay. That original thread died out for a reason.

Comment

Welcome to PR my friend. It is awesome.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, everyone! Hopefully I can set aside a few hours this week to play with you all! I did some vehicle training in a self created server last night. It's not easy getting to the airfield by foot. Lol. What's the best map for some self training? I'd like easier access to everything if possible, instead of having to run for 20 minutes. Haha.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Join a co-op server online. Most of the maps have all kinds of vehicles and you can try all the different weapons while shooting at bots. A lot of bots. It can actually be a lot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by =KOF=CR8Z View Post
                              Join a co-op server online. Most of the maps have all kinds of vehicles and you can try all the different weapons while shooting at bots. A lot of bots. It can actually be a lot of fun!
                              and shooting at the bots will let you get used to the rifles, the shooting can be weird at times.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X