Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep armor from rushing to its doom ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep armor from rushing to its doom ?

Armor support in forrest and City maps like Gaza or Dragon Fly can be really useful, if it sticks with infantery units or lets them even scout ahead so they can shoot enemy gunners out of TOW emplacements and fixed cannons to be blown up safely by the tank afterwards.

However many try to use a tank in the forrest or city as if they are playing on an open map like Kashan, rushing ahead at full speed looking for the enemy tank. What can be done about it ?

Re: How do you keep armor from rushing to its doom ?

Go command and order them :P

THat's about it really, since it is a game they do have freedom of choice on how they will play it.

Even if your team lose, as long as you and your friends have a good time, that's all that matters.

Comment

I use my tanks very defensively. I find a nice little nook to hide in and wait. Lately I've been having some AT-infantry up on the next ridgeline spotting for my armor, they can hear and see much easier and always surprise the enemy when coming through. This works really well on maps like Kashan where you don't expect a HAT-team to be tagging around by the tanks.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Discipline. As Squad leader tell your tank crew to keep back. As Commander tell the tank squads to stay under cover while infantry goes ahead.
        |TG-6th|Belhade
        "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Mumble.

Im assuming that you are running an Infantry squad along side armour and are looking for support from them. In this instance just ask the armour SLs to get on mumble (much of the time they will be, on TG) and then talk to them and get them working with you. Armoured units can try all they like to support friendly infantry but without some comms coming back from the infantry about definite enemy positions they will always struggle, especially when said enemy may well be equipped with AT and/or have their own armour support close by.

"I've killed just about everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And im here to kill you."

Comment

Use in game chat. Try to coordinate with them. Cover their flanks.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Yup, like these guys said, leadership and using the comm tools available.
              If you have an idea you have to lead to have the authority to implement it.
              Anything else is at most a suggestion.

|

Comment

One word: patience

Don't be the first to contact. Let your team help you by spotting targets and then you can decide how to best attack them based on the intel. Always have a defensive location in mind. Tanks don't have to constantly be on the move to be effective, especially in PR, but also don't loiter too long in one position because the enemy is definitely communicating your location as well. Also, don't be afraid to run away and live to fight another day!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Step one: Find enemy Tows

Step two: If enemy has Armor or CAS isolate, eliminate, or otherwise remove them from your attack area.

Step three: Find Enemy H-ATs

Step four: Rush Rush Rush!

Comment

Well, urban/close-quarters isn't where armour performs best, so you have better chance of survival if you sit back a bit and be more defensive. That being said, tank commanders shouldn't be sitting back so far that they make themselves nearly or fully useless. One aspect of a good armoured vehicle commander is knowing when to be aggressive and knowing when to be defensive. Sometimes a mix of both is the best in forest/city areas.

sigpic

Comment

The best thing you can do is report armour, HAT, TOW locations to give the tanks some good intel. Even better, sweep ahead of them.... or just use yourself as a 'meat shield' and take that HAT hit soldier.

Comment

Don't be afraid to stay in the main base and just wait for contacts from the infantry. A dead tank is a lot less useful than an alive tank sitting at main.

Comment

You have a good point Golgo. Most armor people still use tactics that were effective like 4 versions ago. The 'roaming armor blob' - tactic is still very prevalent.

It doesn't work though. As Nardini illustrated. Your lack of hearing, and thus lack of surprise makes this tactic pretty useless against a good mixed armor/at squad that is waiting for you even on maps like Kashan. And off course buzzing around in a noisy-as hell semi blind iron elephant is not working in maps where the view is obstructed by forest etc.

I guess it just takes a few versions for people to realize. More and more people are sticking with infanttry, but not nearly enough though. I can't count the times I think 'oh that tank is going off alone and that seems very dangerous,....' only to see it disappear off the map moments later.

Your post might help them though. Soe people just don't realize the old tactics lose you too much tickets today.

Comment

roaming armour blob works great imo, there is only 3 things it needs to work

1) recon - either the UAV or littlebird needs to identify threats before they are able to engage teh collumn as it may be difficult to locate the enemy during the engagemtn.
                            2) Repair support - a Log truck
                            3) AA - an avenger or gaskin will save your neck.

My perfect armour formation is a 9 person formation, 2 tanks, 1 APC, 1 log truck, 1 AA

the tanks take the punches, the apc is fire support and infantry transport so that the armour collumn can assit infantry if and when needed, the log truck is repair support and can also deliver supplies when needed, teh AA is there for obvious reasons. Also the log truck person can jump in a tank temporarily if someone gets D/Ced

add to that air cover from attack helis or jets, then you've got yourself a winning combination with 21 infantrymen still on the field to be supported and cap flags.

Comment

The roaming tank blob sure as heck does still work !
                              I agree with Rudd's formation if you are running an Armor platoon that supports infantry via good comms.

Luminarium and I ran just one tank the other night on Kashan and slaughtered the opposition. My guess is we accounted for 75-100 enemy tickets. We roamed all over that map. Spotters in our squad and good comms helped us greatly! When we weren't relying on our spotter we sat in the top of the tank (F3) and heard just fine.

If you hunt the assets that can kill your tank and kill them....well, your not going to die.
                              If you shoot them 1st then they wont kill you. We killed everything. People, fixed emplacements, and assets up to and including the choppers we faced.... Any and everything that could kill us we killed 1st. I suppose some people can't seem to get this right and come off as tard rushers or blindly driving around then dying.

The point Im making here really is that most tank tactics are valid if done the right way.
                              None of them ever quit working. Hell you can have perfect tactics and still lose sometimes.
                              I'm not making sense I suppose, but to say that a mobile tank(s) doesnt work anymore is just crazy !!!
                              Last edited by Warlab; 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM.

|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X