Pings to New Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pings to New Server

How has your ping changed now that we have a new server ?
    Dropped: 100ms or more
    0.00%
    Dropped: 75-99ms
    1.35%
    Dropped: 50-74ms
    5.41%
    Dropped: 25-49ms
    8.11%
    Dropped: 1-24ms
    6.76%
    My ping hasn't changed
    14.86%
    Increased: 1-24ms
    16.22%
    Increased: 25-49ms
    36.49%
    Increased: 50-74ms
    5.41%
    Increased: 75-99ms
    2.70%
    Increased: 100ms or more
    1.35%
    What is ping anyway ?
    1.35%

|

Re: Pings to New Server

Mines increased about 40ms, but no matter because the new server more than makes up for it :)

|

Comment

I never used to notice my ping unless it was over 140, so I won't even know if the new one is better or not. I think a better indicator would be: Does the server seem smoother and hits register more consistently with the new server?
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Rather, instead we should be looking at the current pings, not the change in them. (It will be much more informative to see that almost everyone is getting 80 ping across the board with a few of our friends across the pond averaging 150, rather than "we all went down 20ms" which can sometimes mean very little).

What snooggums said is good in theory but is faulted by placebo effect. There's no harm in doing it, but relying on the outcome wouldn't be smart.

Anyway, now that I have poked the thread with silly scientific input, I will add my answer as soon as I get home and can load it up.

Comment

As BF2 is optimized for 100ms latency, people with 40 who drop to 20 might be worse off than someone who went from 40 to 60.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Dropped 1-24ms.

I live in Kansas City, MO.
            CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

no Change, Newcastle, England, Africa

Comment

I haven't been on the server yet, usual ping is around 300+ fluxuation.

sigpic

Comment

I'm confused, how will establishing that lots of people now have a ping of 80 tell you anything, other than that fact.

However much the difference in ping for a player and it's perceived effect may be somewhat anecdotal and subject to influence such as the placebo effect it is far more informative than simply establishing the numeric increase. You can only hope for some objective analysis or perhaps attempt to control the conditions under which the observations are made.

I can tell you for certain that when my ping dropped from 145ish to approx 90 I noticed the difference, particularly in cqb and in leading shots. The server move has increased my ping back up to its former level.

The big question is will this hurt me. Personally I would rather die once per round in cqb due to losing a twitch shootout than die half a dozen times due not beingi able to move, repeatedly standing up under fire or simply scoping in and out repeatedly when trying to shoot. If I have to relearn shot lead at range on moving targets so be it, the new server is a godsend for which I am very grateful.

Comment

Went from 180ish to 250. :p

|TG-X| Brummy

Comment

I will now kill everything in sight. My average ping has dropped by 4 ms according to tracert. Run for your lives. That is all. :icon_lol:

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS
                        I'm confused, how will establishing that lots of people now have a ping of 80 tell you anything, other than that fact.
                        "Everyone in America ate 50 more french fries than usual today."
                        "Everyone in America ate a total of 200 french fries today."
                        The second, showing a total which can be related to other values, is more informative because it has a base of reference.
                        Together they can both be helpful, but the first is much less helpful alone than the other.

If we know that most people on the server have an 80ms ping, it's easier to see that most players are experiencing a good connection; if everyone went down 20ms, it means nothing if we think about the fact that they may have gone down 20ms from 400ms.

The placebo effect would only occur to those who are not experiencing actual significant boosts (or drops) in experience; they haven't really changed at all, but they believe that they are faster, if only due to the thought of it being a "brand new server". It's hard to take those as truthful results because of this. It could, however, be a good measure of moral about the new change. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS
                          The big question is will this hurt me. Personally I would rather die once per round in cqb due to losing a twitch shootout than die half a dozen times due not beingi able to move, repeatedly standing up under fire or simply scoping in and out repeatedly when trying to shoot. If I have to relearn shot lead at range on moving targets so be it, the new server is a godsend for which I am very grateful.
                          Or trying to post!
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                            "Everyone in America ate 50 more french fries than usual today."
                            "Everyone in America ate a total of 200 french fries today."
                            The second, showing a total which can be related to other values, is more informative because it has a base of reference.
                            Together they can both be helpful, but the first is much less helpful alone than the other.
                            It is simply an attempt to gauge whether people have experienced an improvement or not, ideally we would use both values with people posting their current ping values but not everyone will do so. The current ping values can simply be taken from looking at the player list whilst in-game, but doing so will not tell anyone if there has been any improvement resulting from the move, hence this poll. I do imagine though that people with 400ms ping to the server wouldn't be playing there in the first place. ;)

In addition it would be valuable for people to post whether they have experienced an improvement in experience as well, I know from playing recently on the old server that whilst my ping was very consistent at around 100ms I had several occasions where I, and many others, experienced severe rubber banding lag and i'm sure it would be useful to know if this has been eradicated.

I've not been able to play in the last couple days but shall be giving it a thorough run-out after the weekend :D

"I've killed just about everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And im here to kill you."

Comment

Increased, harder to hit things. The character doesn't stutter and bring down his weapon when he's walking on flat ground any more though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X