X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logistic Squad Tips

Logistic Squads Tips

Introduction:
    Having a logistic squad is important on many maps in PR (building FB, dropping crates and repairs). Its not the most exciting job but fundamental for your team and most of the time not that honorable as it should be. It needs patience, forward thinking and time.

Table of Contents:
    1) What is expected of a logistic squad
    2) Basic Tips
    3) Knowing the map / strategic planning
    4)Deploying the FB, stuff
    5)Tricks

1) What is expected of a logistic squad
    Building FB where your team needs it, building defense (hmg, razorwire, tow, aa, ...), dropping ammo (crates), repair vehicles. Not all the time you will be able to do all the stuff at the same time, on some maps it may be better if the armor squads have their own truck for repairs or other squadleaders use another truck to place a fb.
    The logistic squad will try to keep the team near the important fight / places. (if you can spawn near flags you dont need to risk choppers, vehicles, ... to get back into the fight).

2) Basic Tips
    Keep your truck alive
    Keep your truck alive
    Keep your truck alive
    avoid flipping, running into enemy, ... everything where you can lose your truck. (on most maps you only have 2 trucks, also if you lose the truck on most maps you will have a hard time to return to base).
    Stay away from the fighting, you are supporting, let others fight.
    Keep the squad small (I prefer a 2 man squad only), trucks has only 2 seats, there is no need of a 6 man logi squad the most time.
    YOU WILL NEVER NEED THE ENGI KIT FOR A LOGISTIC SQUAD, NEVER.

3) Knowing the map / strategic planning
    With placing the fb on important / forward / backward places you can a bit plan where the battle is turning into. Sometimes rushing can help (Kashan) but I prefer the defense strategy. Use your experience, when will the enemy be there, is it safe to get there in the time, ... At all you need about 2-3 min to build a fb and 1 min that the fb is spawnable for teammembers, also be sure that someone is spawning on a forward fb then, you will not be able to defend that fb, also it is not your job.
    Try to build the fb in hidden spots, inside bunkers, ... not in the open. Try to hide the crate too.
    Avoid placing fb ontop of a flag, 200m walk is often better as a fb that is overruned too easy.
    I always try to build "backup" fb, so that the team can still hold a flag / area if one fb gets overruned / destroyed.
    Not everytime you need 2 crates for one fb, sometimes its better to use 2 crates for 2 fb.
    Be aware that foxholes, hmg, tow can give away the area of the fb, place that stuff only if you know that someone will use it.
    Think forward, use communication (mumble, commander, ...) so you know where the team will need the next fb, ammo drop, repairs.
    Sometimes you can safe time to ask choppers for crates instead of driving back to main. Make sure you are in a safe area for the chopper. Also "truck sharing" works very good, 3 man squad where 1 player is only rearming the trucks. (Kozelsk)
    There are a lot of tricks to get trucks in place, in generall: STAY AWAY FROM MAIN ROADS (better drive 5 min longer than getting ambushed). Your truck is not a tank and very vulnerable to .50, ieds, ... also its easy for the enemy to shoot you out of the truck through the front window.
    While building dont go prone and just build, you can not see the enemy with the knife behind you :)

4) Deploying the FB, stuff
    one simple rule for the fb: 10 m, same level
    for the other stuff: 5 m, same level
    Make sure no one is in front of you when you place it, also try to run back as soon as you place.
    In woods, uneven terrain you may need some trying to place it, FB needs some space above it.
    You have 200m from the crates and the fb to place the defense stuff, use that distance if possible.
    In the actual version of PR you can place 6 FB.
    Remember where you place the TOW, sometimes you need to remove it.
    You need to decide where you place AA, TOW, more view, more vulnerable, it depends on the map.
    Dont build glitched FB, destroy them immediately (FB inside a building, radio not knifeable, ...)
    If you use markers (5 m vertical, 5 m horizontal) you can place perfect razorwire. Just try it, be aware of crushing yourself.

5) Tricks
    There are some videos in the PR section / youtube how to get trucks in place / place FB, ... Just ask if someone can show you how to do it.
    You can also repair bridges (Jabal), place a foxhole in it, dont build it, if you are doing it right you can jump over it with full speed.
    How to not flip the truck (especially for the 10th): if you are driving in uneven terrain and your trucks starts to flip, release the power, the truck should start to stabilize. If you are driving down a hill with lots of enemy trees try to hit them with the front (or better not to hit any of the trees). Be aware that this causes damage but its better as flipping. Stop sometimes and drop repairs for your truck.
    If you drop a repair station it helps you building the FB, razorwire, ... (you need to shovel too, or it will disapear cause its not fully built)
    You can plan a bit where your team will spawn, getting important kits, ... (being a backseat commander, use that information)
    If you are driving back to main and see abandoned vehicles your squadmember can rtb them.
    If you need to remove a fb or a tow you can ask the commander, give him an exact marker and he can use demolish to remove it.

That are some of my things I use when I am doing logistic, if you see me on the server and want to know more, just ask me.

| | | |

Re: Logistic Squad Tips

very thorough and thought provoking, i've only had the pleasure of being in your logistics squad once (on Jabal as MEC) but i find it more fun then what you describe.

another thing i would add is that logistics is a very, very big portion of all military operations. I find it useful if you also utilise other vehicles, have a heli-truck that shuttles soldier to the front from a distant FOB or acts as a poor mans APC can be very handy for a mobility of a team.

having also read FKs thread, wouldn't these be more applicable in the Tactics & SOP area? maybe have a sticky in here that links to the guides?
    AnimalMother
    Ex TG-31st LR
    "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
    sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Good post Bullseye! rep +1

One of those battlefield roles that people notice when it's missing and the team ends up falling back several flags, as no fall back position was never build.

I don't find doing logy boring at all. More often than not it's very hectic with requests for crates or repairs swarm the team chat, added to the fact that at the same time you might be building a FB on the other side of the map. Generally good times!

I think it's a very good way to have fun with smaller squad, while still being usefull to the whole team.
      [S7]Hablos
      Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

Listen closely, youngsters, the master is sharing his hard-earned wisdom.

Damn this reputation system AGAIN!!!! If there was ever a post worthy of a +1, this is it!!

An army runs on it's supply crates folks - remember that!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

If you have ever seen a topographical height map you'll remember it is made up of rings that represent different height levels. You want your vehicle's motion to stay perpendicular to those. This will reduce the rotational force on the top of the vehicle and thereby its chance of rolling.

In simpler terms: always drive as completely up/downhill as possible.

This tip is good for all unstable vehicles and not just trucks.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Great post Bullseye!

Also 1 thing
            If you drop the repair station right next to the firebase that you have not started to shovel yet, the firebase will keep blowing up until you destroy the repair station.

Comment

Originally posted by RememberTheAlamo View Post
              Great post Bullseye!

Also 1 thing
              If you drop the repair station right next to the firebase that you have not started to shovel yet, the firebase will keep blowing up until you destroy the repair station.
              Not true, only if you are too slow. You should have time to drop it and get out the truck and shovel before it blows up. Just make sure you dont drop it before you place the FB.

Also, if you start to flip turn into the roll.
              Viking

Comment

very good post! everyone that thinks about running a logi squad should read this

Comment

bump cause in 0.957 logistics are much more important.

on some maps there are only 2 logi trucks, so if someone is using it to build a fb please try to return the logi truck or destroy it. It really hurts the team if there are all logi trucks somewhere abandoned in enemy area. Its better it respawns at main.
                  if you are leaving a position please dont forget to remove unneeded tows, aa, mortars. cause they dont show up on the map its very hard to locate them later.

on insurgent maps its sometimes better to use 1 crate only for a fb so you can build 2 fbs with 1 run (if you build in the city where you dont need razorwire, foxholes, ... cause they only give away the fb position).

if someone is planing on running a mortar squad its almost always more important to build fb near the flags than building a fb near main. While initial rollout you dont have to expect ambushes, ... later its sometimes very difficult to get in place with a truck (barracuda for example).

i also repeat it: keep the trucks alive as much as you can, avoid main streets, typical ambush spots, ...

in this patch you can remove unbuilt things with standing infront of the wrong placed thing and right click on the deploy menu. (so you dont need an inci).

if you have questions just post here or ask for an invite into the build stuff squad at the end of a round. (sorry but more than 2 or 3 players in a build squad is not effective)

i also want to thank all the players who did help me in the last time shovel all the fbs and stuff.

PS: forgot to say: with this release a logi squad can help very much to win a map
                  Last edited by Bullseye2550; 11-04-2010, 07:13 AM.

| | | |

Comment

I don't think I hava your luck, Bull. Tried running a logi squad yesterday on Kozelsk. Wasn't even 5 minutes into the match and had a BTR chasing me throughout the facilities and bunkers. Needless to say it didn't end well...

Looks like I need to pay more attention when I join your squads :)

Comment

A quick tip for dropping assets:
                      IF you are looking to defend an area or a road, think of where you will want the assets first and place the FOB based on those locations.
                      Use all of the 200m radius but remember the rule is up to 200m away from the FOB AND 2 crates so plan ahead if you are dropping assets.
                      You can also drop additional crates to make sure you can use all of the 200m.
                      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                      So that when they turn their backs on you,
                      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

if you are good you can place 2 fb with 1 crate each and place the emplacements between.

also as logi squad you can play a bit as "second commander": where you place the fbs the team will spawn (offence / defence)

sometimes 2 fbs are better as 1 fb with emplacements (backup fb).

| | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye2550 View Post
                          if you are good you can place 2 fb with 1 crate each and place the emplacements between.
                          Wait... really? Though its not entirely useful it could have its uses.

---------

This is something I think anyone who squad leads needs to have a better than basic understanding. More often than not you don't have a "build stuff" squad.

Most FOs I've seen built are in decent but not great locations. Yamalia has perhaps the best kind of FO you want, a hidden one. These are outposts not bases. Trees hide them wonderfully, do not place them in the line of sight of a possible attack, keep them away from your assets if you are building any.

I want to also say that Muttrah has the best example of the most common worst FO placement. On USMC squads decide that building an FO in docks is much more preffered than on the border line of docks, which is simply false. You can utilize the map statics, wires, and mines to make docks impenetrable to all but the most dedicated invaders.

Finally, when you are moving from a position, clean up! You only get two TOWs so use them wisely.

Comment

With Rally not being permanent anymore every squadleader should keep in mind that he might need a fob and should have his squad build it. But dont take the fun from the logistic squad if one is around.

Comment

I might listen to Bullseye if he ever got out of his attack choppers or put down his sniper rifles and helped the team for once.
                              |TG-Irr| Dreadnought
                              sigpic

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One --
                              I am become Death, the shatterer of Worlds.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer, lead scientist of Manhattan Project quoting Bhagavad Gita

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X